Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Warning to those who use the Burlingame Service Center

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just took my black Model S in for routine service to the Burlingame Service Center. It seems that their practice, now that the drought is over, is to wash the car in the car wash "down the street" at the end of the service. This is a car wash that uses brushes - clearly not a "no touch" car wash.

I'm meticulous about my car's paint, and I ONLY hand wash my car. Unfortunately, after this car wash, my car now has the expected scratches and swirls. If I had known that this was their practice, I'd have explicitly asked them NOT to wash my car.

On the plus side, the service center is offering to detail it for me (I hope that means paint correction), but having to take the car in again is I hassle I'd have preferred to avoid.

Just a heads up for those that use this service center. If you're as particular as I am, you might ask them not to wash your car at the end of service.

• Informative
Reactions: LoL Rick
When I had my car in for service in Orlando a month or so ago they specifically asked if it was OK for them to wash it before they returned it.

I wish they had offered me the same courtesy!

I guess what bothers me most is that their own owners manual specifically warns against using an automatic car wash that's not touchless.

But, at least they're trying to make it right by doing the detailing. I definitely give them credit for that.

Really a good reminder to anyone taking their car in for service, etc. I suppose you could make up a rear-view mirror hanger (like the room door hangers) that says "No Car Wash, Please" and keep it in your glove box to pull out and hang when you go in for service.

• Helpful
Reactions: BluestarE3
A bit off-topic, but I keep reading here about how Tesla's paint is particularly "soft" and easy to damage due to California's stringent environmental regulations. However, did NUMMI manufactured cars have the same issue with their paint jobs?

I wish they had offered me the same courtesy!

I guess what bothers me most is that their own owners manual specifically warns against using an automatic car wash that's not touchless.

But, at least they're trying to make it right by doing the detailing. I definitely give them credit for that.

Oh yeah. Never let Tesla detail any car!

Now you're making me nervous! Should I ask Tesla if they'll reimburse me if I want my own paint guy to do the work? Does Tesla have a bad reputation for doing the detailing? On the phone today, it sounds like they subcontract with an outside detailing shop.

Look, i can only convey my experience and what I've seen on the forums. I think, you and I are both very picky, especially about paint. I had various problems with my car but even after they got me a brand new hood and painted it, it was bad. Real bad. And then my dashcam captured my service advisor grabbing a big brush from what looked like the floor and started scrubbing my brand new hood nice and strong. They just frankly don't really know what they're doing around bodywork. I would not let them detail my car and would have them pay for a 3rd party. You might get lucky though or they're already working with a professional 3rd party company.

My brand new, newly painted hood after Tesla 'detailing':

IMG_9762.JPG