Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

WARNING: v8 Cabin Overheat Protection feature NOT for pets

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What if someone leaves their child or pet in the car because of the feature who otherwise would not have done it?

Honestly?

There will be drool all over your windows and your baby will crying. You might have a hard time getting your dog to go for a ride again. You baby will grow up healthy, but when the baby grows to be a teen, it will Menendez your ass while you sleep. Paybacks.

Our family didn't own an AC car until I was a teen. My mom left us in cars, but she did crack the windows a couple inches. My older brother died of heart disease in his 50's, but the rest of us are still causing trouble.

It never says it uses AC, it could just blow cooler outside air into the cabin.
I don't know how it works in the final version, but according to what Tesla said to the press it uses AC when necessary (in contrast to a similar system in the Prius which is fan-only):
"The system will automatically turn on the vents and air conditioning system to keep the car below 105 degrees, and with a fully charged battery it could theoretically do that for up to a year, although right now it’s being limited to a 12-hour period after the driver leaves the car."
http://jalopnik.com/you-can-leave-your-children-in-your-tesla-now-and-they-1786946299

Reactions: Yuri_G
For dogs 105F is at the border of being lethal. Dogs shouldn't be exposed to such high temperature.
It's definitely a borderline (looking online, 105-106 body temperature for a dog is when things start to get fatal), but way different from the previous situation (where even in moderately warm temperatures, you will reach past that much within 10 minutes parked in the sun).

Living in AZ, I can't tell you how many children and pets I have read about dying after being left in a hot car. We even had a police officer accidentally leave his K9 in his car a couple of years ago. Not sure how it happens so often, but it does. Tesla has given pets/children a huge chance at surviving if forgotten in a car. A dogs TEMPERATURE has to get to 105F to be dangerous, not subjected to an outside temperature of 105F. People run and hike in 110+ temps all the time here. And yes, they do sometimes people get dehydrated or over do it. Our dogs actually love to lay out with temperatures over 105 and if we didn't bring them in, would stay out all day. What Tesla is doing is a good thing.

The stupid thing is that each seat has a sensor, which at a minimum should be used to leave climate on.

Currently, if the driver steps out, closes the door and walks away (but leaves the fob in the car, with someone seated in the passenger seat), the climate control still turns itself off.

You don't have to walk away. If I just sit in the driver seat for 30 minutes or so, reading or whatever, the AC shuts down.

What if someone leaves their child or pet in the car because of the feature who otherwise would not have done it?
If someone does that and it results in them murdering their child they should go to jail.
Safety features such as this are to mitigate the moron - not replace their responsibility.
Like other have said - do airbags make it safe to suddenly start to use other cars or walls instead of braking?

Dogs will lie down on the shady side of the front floor as temps rise. Run a test to be sure yours actually does do this. Also drop the windows 1 to 2 inches. This will give you a big margin of safety, in temperate climates at least.
--

It seems a bad interpretation or communication. I read as a safety feature, IN CASE someone Accidentally left a pet on child in the car. This is NOT a convenience feature to allow you to leave any pets or children in the car. 105 is still Hot, but car interior can exceed that threshold, without the fans coming on, thus limiting the potential in case someone left a pet of toddler behind. DON'T LEAVE PETS or Children in Cars and then say its Tesla's Fault.

It seems a bad interpretation or communication. I read as a safety feature, IN CASE someone Accidentally left a pet on child in the car. This is NOT a convenience feature to allow you to leave any pets or children in the car. 105 is still Hot, but car interior can exceed that threshold, without the fans coming on, thus limiting the potential in case someone left a pet of toddler behind. DON'T LEAVE PETS or Children in Cars and then say its Tesla's Fault.

Exactly. This is to give children/pets a chance if someone accidentally leaves them in the car.

From a vet: http://www.gopetplan.com/uploads/media/17/10893.pdfov

And another (less easy to read): http://vet.tufts.edu/wp-content/uploads/tacc.pdf

Looks like the dog scale only goes up to 95F, which is considered dangerous. So I would agree, 105 is too hot.

On the kids side, I found this: https://www.ok.gov/health2/documents/weatherwatchforchildren2.pdf

In the notes, on the scales for children and pets, it references limiting outdoor activity, no that it is fatal to endure the heat itself. Many of the posts here will reference people and pets who routinely encounter temps well above those listed in these tables, with no ill effects. Surely there is a temperature which is fatal, but I suspect it is well above 105F for healthy individuals. They are probably reluctant to publish such a number because it would have a great deal of variation due to age, species, and underlying health issues.

This is a good first step and will improve with 8.1. I know if immobilized, I would rather be in a car limited to 105 than one with no limit at all. And again, it is obviously a safety feature, not a recommended practice. Tesla is not saying you should leave your pets, or children in a car at 105F, they are saying that if you forget to account for them, your car will try to keep them alive. Think seat belts, airbags, crumple zones, max temp control. Tesla, I thank you, and our dog will thank you if I ever forgot to take the appropriate steps.

• Informative
Reactions: jonman and MP3Mike
This is a good first step and will improve with 8.1. I know if immobilized, I would rather be in a car limited to 105 than one with no limit at all. And again, it is obviously a safety feature, not a recommended practice. Tesla is not saying you should leave your pets, or children in a car at 105F, they are saying that if you forget to account for them, your car will try to keep them alive. Think seat belts, airbags, crumple zones, max temp control. Tesla, I thank you, and our dog will thank you if I ever forgot to take the appropriate steps.

I agree it's a great safety feature. I think the heartburn in this thread is the wording of the press release.

Cabin Overheat Protection
In an industry-first safety measure, we’re also introducing Cabin Overheat Protect, focused on child (and pet) safety. This feature keeps the car at a safe temperature for hours, even when the car is off. This feature is only made possible by an electric vehicle with Tesla’s uniquely large battery packs.

The press release doesn't say it's a last resort safety feature. It says it will keep the car at a safe temperature for hours. If all you read was that, you might come away with the impression you could regularly leave Fido in the car when you are out running errands.

No good deed or innovation should go unpunished. Everything seems to absolve humans from thinking or having any responsibility if they don't understand. I don't expect the "news" writers to convey intent or real information, in one line of text on a page or in their 10 second snippet. So a novel idea may be to READ the darn instructions/cautions or heaven forbid, use some common sense. I can see a repeat of Auto Pilot.... "the car killed my dog (cause I was too stupid realize 105 degrees in still hot).

• Love
Reactions: jeffhre
I agree it's a great safety feature. I think the heartburn in this thread is the wording of the press release.

Cabin Overheat Protection
In an industry-first safety measure, we’re also introducing Cabin Overheat Protect, focused on child (and pet) safety. This feature keeps the car at a safe temperature for hours, even when the car is off. This feature is only made possible by an electric vehicle with Tesla’s uniquely large battery packs.

The press release doesn't say it's a last resort safety feature. B
It says it will keep the car at a safe temperature for hours. If all you read was that, you might come away with the impression you could regularly leave Fido in the car when you are out running errands.

I don't think they say seat belts or air bags are a last resort either. Somehow, I always just considered them to be just that. I didn't think I could just go around slamming into hard things with abandon.

It says it will keep them safe, not keep them well, or comfortable. I would have thought that anyone buying a Tesla would be intelligent enough to know the difference. Now, I am beginning to wonder. I wonder how many parents would think, "Wow, I always feel uncomfortable when the temp gets above 85, but Tesla said 105 was safe. I guess I'll just leave little Timmy in there while I go work out, or have lunch with a friend, maybe play a round of golf, or whatever" . Hopefully not many.

i love this new feature and await for more to come!

i have an 8mo daughter and have never ONCE forgot she was back there. i have no clue how people do that unless they are high or drunk.

i've been a cop now for 4 years and have had to respond to 2 of these calls and it just makes me sick

i love this new feature and await for more to come!

i have an 8mo daughter and have never ONCE forgot she was back there. i have no clue how people do that unless they are high or drunk.

i've been a cop now for 4 years and have had to respond to 2 of these calls and it just makes me sick

I don't understand it either but it happens a lot here in AZ. Even police officers.

Cop Charged For Leaving Police Dog In Hot Car