TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Warning when using Wiper Service Mode

Discussion in 'Model X: Interior & Exterior' started by mswlogo, Dec 14, 2019.

1. mswlogo

mswlogo Well-Known Member

I decided to clean my blades and windshield. I was on the passenger side and put the wipers in Service Mode first via the passenger door. After cleaning the blades I was on the drivers side and went to open the drivers door to turn off Service Mode and the blades parked themselves.

This might seem harmless but what if I was changing the blades or something. And had no blade and went into the car to get the new blade. It would swipe across the glass with no blade. Or if I was in the middle of changing the blade or cleaning it and I have my hands all around the arm and my wife goes in to the car to get the blade out for me.

I don’t know if it’s a bug or a feature but I think it’s a bad idea. Not sure if it had anything to do with which door I enabled and disable Wiper Service Mode in.

2. boaterva

boaterva Supporting Member

Yeah I don’t get it either. I think it should stay in ‘service mode’ until ‘released’. How is it supposed to work? I’ve used this for cleaning the windshield and I don’t remember it parking even when I closed the doors. Will have to exit and enter the car and check.

3. ilyak

ilyak Member

I use it all the time on my 3 (lots of freezing rain this year), and it works like you describe - I have to turn the service mode off from the menu to get the wipers to move at all, opening/closing the doors does not affect it.