Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Warning: You can get FSD beta strike for any forced disengagement, even with FSD beta disabled in settings...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks for sharing.
I had FSD Beta 2 days ago. This morning, (Sept, 22th 2022), between 10am to 10:20 am, while I had activated the autopilot, I had both hands on the steering wheel without holding it firmly and I was hyper-vigilant to what was happening in front of me (because the car did crazy things yesterday). I didn't see the white light but from the moment I got the warning sound I moved the yoke several times, quite firmly, for two to three seconds without success and still got a disabling the autopilot. This is unacceptable.
In the last 2 days, I reported some bugs while tapping the camera. However, what happened this morning does not encourage me to continue contributing to the development of the autopilot.
Everyone wants to see video of these events (by everyone I mean “me”).

Anyway sounds like FSD Beta may not be for you. It’s expected to be buggy and pretty terrible really.

But inquiring minds really want to see these false strikes. Not a single one has been posted on YouTube, so this would be unique, compelling, profitable YouTube content.

Good luck and I hope you get no more strikes. Just keep constant firm torque on the wheel with one hand while holding lightly with the other hand.

It’s entirely possible that once you get the warning sound it is too late. I have never heard a warning sound for the wheel torque in an entire year or use, so no idea.

Verified: A forced disengagement with Beta off does not count as a strike.
Thanks for verifying that the premise of the thread is incorrect. Interesting that others have reported otherwise - but this behavior that you report makes sense.

When you say a forced disengagement, you mean for inattention, right? You deliberately ignored the nags until AP disabled? We know speed never counts.

Last edited:
You can disable full self-driving during a drive and when you enable autopilot after that during the same drive you can tell it's disabled because you no longer have the FSD graphics or features on non-highway streets, so all the functions are disabled, but you can still get a be FSD beta strike during that situation.

Your methods for disengaging are correct, and you can get canceled for exceeding speed limit but you don't get a strike for that on FSD.

As far as disengaging by tapping on brakes or moving steering wheel to avoid the strike, that is usually the case, however with full self driving monitoring once you get a few warnings on the same drive the tolerance goes to zero and you get an instant strike without a chance to disengage with brake etc. The disengage ment happens instantly as soon as it starts warning you when it's ready to give it to you especially if it thinks the warnings were because you are using your phone. Many people may not have this issue, but some of us who drive 100 miles plus a day and have to experience a lot of different traffic situations (especially stop and go traffic on highways that make a long drive time) are going to be much more likely to experience multiple warnings on a single drive and get 'instant strike's.

Personally I think it would be more fair if they reset strikes based on number of miles driven so those of us who drive 3 to 4 times the amount vs average Tesla driver does are not as penalized. It would be nice if it could lesson tolerance just a bit when you are driving at 1-2 mph as I have noticed most of my warnings/strikes happened after I am sitting still and right when the car starts moving 1-2mph to inch up again then stop while on highway stack autopilot.
Do you know if you have 5 strikes for life or per month, before you lose FSD Beta?

When you say a forced disengagement, you mean for inattention, right? You deliberately ignored the nags until AP disabled? We know speed never counts.
Actually Speed DOES count. If you override the max speed by pressing the accelerator, it will force disengage autopilot. If you are cruising along with autopilot at 80 mph and goose it, chances are very good you will blast by 85 quickly. A strike. You just have to cancel autopilot before striking out on your own. Otherwise, I agree it is really pretty hard to get dinged unless you are not paying attention at all, i.e zoned out.

Actually Speed DOES count. If you override the max speed by pressing the accelerator, it will force disengage autopilot. If you are cruising along with autopilot at 80 mph and goose it, chances are very good you will blast by 85 quickly. A strike. You just have to cancel autopilot before striking out on your own. Otherwise, I agree it is really pretty hard to get dinged unless you are not paying attention at all, i.e zoned out.
This is completely incorrect, of course. 100% incorrect. I would not have said it did not count if it counted!!!

Just did this today. Let the beeping red wheel go for a good 10 seconds for good measure. No strikes.

Had to drive for 90 miles steering myself! The horror.

Last edited:
Again autopilot noticed this, nag me, and I acknowledged immediately.

Your immediate attention to this particular "nag" would have been useless because it wasn't the "apply force to the steering wheel" nag. You got the "hey pay attention" nag due to phone detection by the cabin camera, which if you get a few of within a short time will trigger the strike.

With the "apply force to the wheel" nag, if you torque the wheel and it stops complaining, then the system is happy and doesn't "remember" that it ever nagged you. Meaning it's not counting in the background toward a strike.

It's been demonstrated many times at this point that AP jail due to exceeding max AP speed does not count as an FSDb strike.

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Verified: A forced disengagement with Beta off does not count as a strike.
To clarify; when you state “Beta off,” do you mean turned off in the menu? Or just NOT activated with stalk? My wife just received beta 69.2.2 for first time, but refuses to use beta, AP, or NOA. When I use her car I would like to have beta activated in menu and actually use it, but fear that if she drives without EVER activating beta, AP,or NOA, she will accumulate strikes by inattention, etc. If she has beta off (in menu) on her profile, will she avoid strikes? I am assuming activating beta in my profile will expose me to strikes for inattention, etc. Final question. If I lose beta on my profile, will she (and the car) lose access to beta ? Thoughts?

Last edited:
I have to say the AP jail due to exceeding max AP speed is a little bit excessive punishment. The red wheel warning and the warning blasts are so alarming that the first time I got it, I was questioning.... "WTF" ?!!

You see, on NOA when you come to ahead slow traffic, the lane change prompt won't come up until you slowed down a little. By that time the speed of the passing lane traffic can be quite a few mph faster than you. The problem is that after the lane merge, NOA will not speed up fast to match the passing lane speed. So, you would be conditioned to press the accelerator to compensate for the system. That's where usually the max AP speed exceeded warning and jail happens.

So, now on NOA, I usually manually change lane at speed when I see slow traffic ahead.

Reactions: nvx1977
Max AP/NoA is 85MPH - if traffic around you is traveling faster than 85MPH, and passing quickly (10-15MPH) would require 90-100MPH - just disengage AP and make the move yourself. Change lanes yourself, and get into the exit lane manually - then re-engage AP when you're below 85MPH. Not that difficult, people.

• Disagree
To clarify; when you state “Beta off,” do you mean turned off in the menu? Or just NOT activated with stalk? My wife just received beta 69.2.2 for first time, but refuses to use beta, AP, or NOA. When I use her car I would like to have beta activated in menu and actually use it, but fear that if she drives without EVER activating beta, AP,or NOA, she will accumulate strikes by inattention, etc. If she has beta off (in menu) on her profile, will she avoid strikes? I am assuming activating beta in my profile will expose me to strikes for inattention, etc. Final question. If I lose beta on my profile, will she (and the car) lose access to beta ? Thoughts?
Off in the menu. I have 2 profiles, one with beta on and one with beta off. When I drive the profile with beta off a forced AP disengagement does not add to the strike count.

Beta and strike count apply to the car not to profiles, so if you lose beta the whole car loses it.

Reactions: outland4@
My wife just got a strike out while not even in FSD. Both hands on wheel. Eyes on the road, within speed limit. Big red steering signal came on and no time to react. Strike!
Only thing she can think of was being in fast lane with her exit 1.5 miles away. Maybe she should have been closer to exit lane?
Says telemetry indicated improper use. What could this be. She is pretty pissed. Now we each got a strike.
I had a phone in my hand, so mine was warranted even if I was paying attention. How did my 2017 model X know, do they all have interior cameras?!

Attachments

• 69E1C007-B5C4-4EAD-B023-52BDA920A3A9.jpeg
    69E1C007-B5C4-4EAD-B023-52BDA920A3A9.jpeg
    494.4 KB · Views: 464
  • Love
As another data point about over-speed-limit disengagements: I've had multiple of these on both 10.12 and 10.69 while on the freeway (running the NoA stack), during drives that started out as FSDb drives (enabled and in use) before I merged onto the highway and it auto-switched to NoA. It will give the big scary red hands, and disable all autopilot stuff till the end of the drive, but they do *not* count as FSDb strikes (of which I still have zero)

• Love
My wife just got a strike out while not even in FSD. Both hands on wheel. Eyes on the road, within speed limit. Big red steering signal came on and no time to react. Strike!
Only thing she can think of was being in fast lane with her exit 1.5 miles away. Maybe she should have been closer to exit lane?
Says telemetry indicated improper use. What could this be. She is pretty pissed. Now we each got a strike.
I had a phone in my hand, so mine was warranted even if I was paying attention. How did my 2017 model X know, do they all have interior cameras?!
she was driving manually or on AP?

Thanks. Was confused since they stated wife got a strike while not in FSD. I do not have it yet so still learning how it works.
You can get strikes when using AP, even though you are not using the FSD stack on the freeway. They want to be sure that you are using the automation responsibly regardless of which software is running.

Reactions: NathanielHrnblwr