Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Warnings after Car Wash

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve washed my 2023 Model S twice in a tunnel type car wash and am a little spooked. Both times, I got a caution light as I got into the car to drive away. First time, “Steering Assist Reduced”. Second time, “Vehicle Hold feature unavailable”. Doesn’t seem that caution messages after a wash can be normal.

When I arrived at the car wash, I put the car in Car Wash Mode, put my KeyCard in the tray, and turned the car over to the attendant. They drive it onto the conveyer, so I can’t be certain they put it in neutral but probably. When the car was ready I got in and noticed the warning. I put the KeyCard away, my phone in the tray, and reset the user profile to mine. The messages were still there but I drove away hoping they would clear. They didn’t so I pulled into another parking lot, parked, got out walked away until it locked. Then walked back, got in and the car was back to normal.

The car wash itself is very professional and there are hundreds of Teslas in our town so it’s highly unlikely they’re unfamiliar with the car.

Am I doing something wrong, or ??? Any help appreciated.

That is not normal. The hold feature being disabled is telling, I think, that either the car wash mode wasn't enabled for some reason, or the car was not in neutral. It was trying to put your car in hold for some reason. That would be bad in a conveyor wash.

Upvote 0
My 2023 MYP is 3 days old and I ran into this exact problem today. I thought it might’ve been because I didn’t get it into N quickly enough before the conveyor grabbed me, but it sounds like it may be a bigger software issue with car wash mode. I had to power off my car and turn it back on to clear the errors. Looks like it kills Tesla Vision because I wasn’t seeing silhouettes of the traffic around me (in addition to the auto steer and brake hold errors) until I “restarted”. Glad to see it’s not a defect in the car (at least I hope).

I don’t plan to make automatic car washes a regular occurrence but had to wash yesterday’s rain off my brand new car. It gets ceramic next week and then it’s hand washing from there. :)

Upvote 0