Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Warped rotors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Brake pads and rotors are almost universally a wear item, though there could be some exceptions like a sticking piston, improperly torqued hardware, or missing hardware. My guess is that the infrequent use of brakes leads to more accumulation of debris or other deposits that manifest themselves as high spots on the rotors. I'd try SSedan's suggestion the next time the wheels come off, maybe with a flap wheel in your drill or grinder if you're running low on elbow grease.

That all said, my experience with the car's brakes is that they are pretty spongy and weak. My car only has 53k on it, but I'm considering doing the brakes all around. Should be under $350 in parts.

If taking sandpaper to rotors use the orange garnet woodworking stuff, it isn't hard enough to cut into the iron meaningfully.

On the spongy, dismantle and lubricate helps a good bit. The pads bind in the calipers, the pistons flex the pads to meet the rotor and get worn away, and the spring in the pad backer pushes the piston back into the caliper leading to a lot of travel that builds over time.

Pads and rotors from EV Tuning was $6-700 I bought lines too but haven't installed since the new pads and rotors functioned properly greatly improved feel. Lines would still be good but haven't made the time.

• Informative
Reactions: hydro
I have the same problem with 2016 MS 90. Changed rotors twice and calipers once. Problem returned a few weeks later each time. I drive mostly highways on autopilot with occasional autopilot hard braking. Anyone here found a solution? Thx.