Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Warranty 70% of 310 or 325?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've never seen this definitely stated so I was wondering...

From Tesla's perspective, is my battery warranty on my 2018 LR RWD 70% of the 310 on the sticker or 325 Tesla "unlocked" (but I never saw much of any bump from)?

I have 30k miles on my pack and it's still reporting ~305 when at 100% so I'm not worried rn. I'm just curious for the future.

Thanks!

I'd expect its 70% of 310 for your 2018 LR. Tesla doesn't need to warranty any range you didn't have at purchase.

I wouldn't fret about it. If a battery has dropped to 70% of 325, its probably gonna hit 70% of 310 pretty soon thereafter.

My 34k pack is at 287 miles at 100%.... sniff.

Yes, I realize that ultimately it comes down to the kWh the pack can hold. But seeing as how there is no official original capacity when new stated on any paperwork I know of, nor a way to access “nerd mode” in the software to see battery info, I only have displayed range at 100% to use as my yard stick.

And after the 325 unlock last year, I was just curious if my yard stick is properly calibrated at 310 or if I should use 325. ...which is still murky.

Yes, I realize that ultimately it comes down to the kWh the pack can hold. But seeing as how there is no official original capacity when new stated on any paperwork I know of, nor a way to access “nerd mode” in the software to see battery info, I only have displayed range at 100% to use as my yard stick.

And after the 325 unlock last year, I was just curious if my yard stick is properly calibrated at 310 or if I should use 325. ...which is still murky.

This is a tricky thing with this particular vehicle because they actually unlocked more capacity AFAIK rather than just changing the constant (they did not change the constant based on prior posts here). That is what would matter for the warranty, not the displayed miles which can be confusing especially if they altered the buffer % with that 310->325 change.

But it is possible (likely) that you always had extra energy available at the bottom end (bigger buffer).

You’d have to review the original EPA docs for 2017/2018 to see what your original tested capacity was. I can’t remember. I’ve looked before and there is a spreadsheet around here somewhere,

I would think they would warranty based on capacity relative to your original capacity in the original test vehicle (all in kWh, which is proportional to miles at 100%). But if the capacity changed in the 2019 EPA doc maybe they’ll be nice.