Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Warranty Adjustment Program – Touchscreen Component email - Wow - watch for it

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Akikiki

A'-Lo-HA ! y'all
Nov 26, 2012
Kaneohe, HI
Wow. Just got an email from Tesla - see title. Watch for it. Was not expecting to see this from Tesla.

1156d219-dcd3-42b8-8c08-269c2c83e84c.png

Our records show that you own, or previously owned, a Model S/X that was built before March 2018. It may be eligible for Tesla’s Warranty Adjustment Program covering malfunction of a memory chip (embedded MultiMediaCard). This malfunction may result in a blank or intermittently blank touchscreen but will not impact the ability to drive your car.

Tesla is providing eligible owners who experience a malfunction no-cost repairs to this part at any Tesla Service Center for 8 years/100k miles from initial delivery date. If you do not experience a malfunction, there’s no need to take action.

If you have already paid for repairs that meet the conditions of the program, you may be eligible for reimbursement. Tesla will send reimbursement details and eligibility by February 2021.

To learn more about the program and its terms and conditions, please click the link below.

Thank you for being a Tesla customer and we apologize for any inconvenience.

Last edited by a moderator:
I also just got this e-mail (Sept '17 Model X). I had already paid for the MCU2 upgrade since my MCU1 was starting to fail due to the eMMC issue and I didn't see any reason to throw good money into a repair when I could get a vastly improved experience with the MCU2 upgrade. My service center even verbally told me I was within a few thousand miles of total failure depending on driving/use conditions that contributed to higher eMMC wear.

It's not reasonable to expect Tesla to completely reimburse those of us that did this, but it would I do think it would be appropriate for some form of compensation - perhaps a $500 credit or something along those lines?

Hi, I'm new here. Is this Warranty Adjustment Program only for US market? I owe Model S P85D (2015) in Europe (Slovenia) and haven't received such email yet. My MCU1 would definetly need some refresh. Thank you for the info.

I also received this email. My MCU has starting to fail. I scheduled service in two weeks. I wonder if I qualify? I purchased a used 2015 through Tesla in 2017 with odometer at 38934 miles; current odometer is 114,625 miles.
Maybe not. Probably not. But try tears. I would. Most of us hate to see a person cry - especially a grown man.

And...
Warranty Adjustment Program

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: Tdreamer
Couple threads on this and not sure what it means for those that proactively did a mcu2 upgrade ...but good for Tesla on doing this !

Good question. I was "forced" into the MCU2 upgrade because service told me that because it was not going black and staying that way that would not do anything. If I wanted to resolve the reboots, intermittent black screen, and spinning wheels that would sping got 3 minutes or more, I would have to do the upgrade. Grrrr

Reactions: P85_DA
I also received this email. My MCU has starting to fail. I scheduled service in two weeks. I wonder if I qualify? I purchased a used 2015 through Tesla in 2017 with odometer at 38934 miles; current odometer is 114,625 miles.

Doubtful as you are ~15k miles past the end of the extended warranty program, and it hasn't failed yet...

Good on Tesla to do the right thing, but it is odd that they are telling those who aren't suffering blank screens that everything is fine. Coincidentally, our 11/13 built S85 is going into the SC next Friday for the EMMC daughterboard replacement as I requested Tesla Service to look at my system logs after our car wouldn't start or restart for a good 5 minutes.

Oddly, the Service Agent called and apologized for not catching the issue earlier. I'm not sure if Tesla is screening failing chips remotely or if there was a warning message from way earlier that the last Service Agent should have caught. I should have asked for clarity, but I was too elated to have a Tesla rep solve my problem.

I've considered the MCU2 upgrade but decided to hold out to see how that offer might evolve in the future. Perhaps AM/FM and 5G cellular will be the way to go in a year or two.

Reactions: P85_DA
Good on Tesla to do the right thing, but it is odd that they are telling those who aren't suffering blank screens that everything is fine. Coincidentally, our 11/13 built S85 is going into the SC next Friday for the EMMC daughterboard replacement as I requested Tesla Service to look at my system logs after our car wouldn't start or restart for a good 5 minutes.

Oddly, the Service Agent called and apologized for not catching the issue earlier. I'm not sure if Tesla is screening failing chips remotely or if there was a warning message from way earlier that the last Service Agent should have caught. I should have asked for clarity, but I was too elated to have a Tesla rep solve my problem.

I've considered the MCU2 upgrade but decided to hold out to see how that offer might evolve in the future. Perhaps AM/FM and 5G cellular will be the way to go in a year or two.

To me this feels more like "flattening the curve" so to speak. If they told EVERYONE who had that car to schedule service they'd never be able to keep up with them and appointments would be 3-4 months out with parts on backorder overnight. It's best to do it this way so the most problematic cars are addressed first and this curve won't be so steep. The average used will think everything is fine and wait months (years?) until they experience symptoms and exercise their replacement freebie.

Also, for those who plan to keep their car for quite a while it makes the most sense to wring every day/mile out of their current eMMC that they can. They've got a finite lifespan and if you can get as much out of the one you have no as you can then the replacement one will get you about that same miles/years... roughly speaking of course. We just hit the cold season in Colorado so I'd rather deal with this in the spring as our service centers are notorious for loaning out old clapped-out RWD cars with questionable tires in the dead of winter if at all. I think I'll take my changes that my eMMC will hold on until spring time so at least if I get a junk car it won't be as much of a safety risk for my wife or I.

I did have a situation the other day where I was in line at the carwash and went to raise my suspension to clear the tire conveyer and when I clicked "menu" and then "suspension" it froze for several minutes. Since there was a line behind me I had no choice but to proceed with the car on the "low" setting. Fortunately they have UMHW guards on top of the tire conveyer so no damage was done to the underside of my car for lightly skimming the surface of those here and there but I still prefer raising the car to "high" to give several inches of clearance normally. I feel like this car may be closer than I'm hoping and maybe making the appointment now for that one may be the safe bet. I'm one to gamble though when there's money to be saved. :p

Our records show that you own, or previously owned, a Model S/X that was built before March 2018. It may be eligible for Tesla’s Warranty Adjustment Program covering malfunction of a memory chip (embedded MultiMediaCard). This malfunction may result in a blank or intermittently blank touchscreen but will not impact the ability to drive your car.
Tesla is providing eligible owners who experience a malfunction no-cost repairs to this part at any Tesla Service Center for 8 years/100k miles from initial delivery date. If you do not experience a malfunction, there’s no need to take action.
If you have already paid for repairs that meet the conditions of the program, you may be eligible for reimbursement. Tesla will send reimbursement details and eligibility by February 2021.

is it just a chip or the screen or?
we do have interrmitent failure of the screen and always have to reboot it-i think this may be what they are talking about?

Very interesting, indeed. I agree it is a positive move by Tesla, but the devil is in the details.
I was among the many who had our MCU replaced in its entirety when the memory chip failed, before Tesla started to replace only the memory. In theory, it looks as if I would be dud be due a refund. BUT I had the replacement done under my ESA, so I only paid $200. Plus I had two failures repaired at the same tome for one $200 fee (the other was the parking brake calipers). So Tesla could argue that I would have had to pay the $200 for the brake repair anyway (and they would be correct, as the car was almost undriveable because of the dragging brakes).
As a further wrinkle, my MCU initially started to fail just as my initial 4-year warranty was ending. At that time the MCU repair was being quoted at something like $2300, so that pushed me to buying the ESA. I figured the MCU repair would justify at least the 2-year coverage price. By the time the repair was done, the MCU price had dropped to $1500, but the brakes would have been another grand or so as I recall, so I still felt like the ESA was worth it.
But now, maybe not! Ah well, hindsight is always 20-20, eh?

My Model S from 2013 has been turning the screen on and off every few minutes when driving. I have about 60K miles and the warranty is good until February. I got the notice. However, I called my local Tesla Service Center (Berkeley CA) and all I got was a message to use the app to make an appointment. I tried and cannot navigate the app to get to service. I am not good with apps and used to call Tesla to make appointments for service. Is there a number where a real person can help me? Everything is automated. I followed the instructions to go to the Tesla website slash support slash warranty-adjustment-program and all I got was a copy of the email with FAQs, nothing that actually allows me to connect to someone. I was an early adopter 8 years ago, but now at 75 I'm not good with all these menus and no one to talk to.

Help please!!

Last edited:
I had an MCU2 upgrade scheduled for December when this came out. I told them to cancel that and get me the warranty replacement. They said "Our technician will look into it and advise you on next steps needed."

To be fair, mine doesn't seem as far gone as others. Right now it loses data and I have to reboot but I haven't been getting blank screens too much. There is a few second lag in between when I press the voice command button and when it beeps that it's ready for me to talk. I'm not sure if that's related or if the MCU1 is just slow.

My Model S from 2013 has been turning the screen on and off every few minutes when driving. I have about 60K miles and the warranty is good until February. I got the notice. However, I called my local Tesla Service Center (Berkeley CA) and all I got was a message to use the app to make an appointment. I tried and cannot navigate the app to get to service. I am not good with apps and used to call Tesla to make appointments for service. Is there a number where a real person can help me? Everything is automated. I followed the instructions to go to the Tesla website slash support slash warranty-adjustment-program and all I got was a copy of the email with FAQs, nothing that actually allows me to connect to someone. I was an early adopter 8 years ago, but now at 75 I'm not good with all these menus and no one to talk to.

Help please!!

Visit in person.

Or call the SeC and when the menu prompts, press 2, then 2.

• Funny
Reactions: hill

Help please!!
I feel your pain. As a 'senior" myself, I know how technology can change faster than you are prepared for. Unfortunately, Tesla really makes it impossible to schedule service unless you use the app, or show up in person. (Now that i think about it, this may violate the Americans with Disability Act. Hmmm)
Anyway, do you have a family member or neighbor who can help you use the app? If so, see if you can get help to make an appointment.
If not, you may have no practical alternative but driving over to the nearest service center, and making an appointment in person. And while you are there, ask them how you can connect in future and suggest that you are unable to use the app.
I hope someone can help you with the app, or you will be increasingly frustrated by your tesla experience.
Good luck!

Help please!!
There are a lot of Tesla owners that live in your area. You should have no problem finding one who can show you how to set up an appointment on your app.