Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Warranty Adjustment Program – Touchscreen Component email - Wow - watch for it

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm being told this right now. I had my 2012 Model S looked at for eMMC warranty and they came back and charged me $200 to reflash the FPGA, and I didn't even authorize the work! What can I do?? Tesla SC in Rockville is extorting me to pay or else I won't get my car back.

Get familiar with the automotive repair laws in Maryland. If you did not authorize the repairs, you don't have to pay for it.

Under (Maryland) state law, you’re entitled to a written estimate for all repairs costing more than $50 and you can’t be charged more than 10% over the written estimate without your consent. If the mechanic finds that the repair will cost more than 10% above the estimate, or that additional repairs are needed, the shop must contact you to get your authorization.

You also can’t be charged for repairs you didn’t authorize. Before signing a repair order, read it carefully. Ask for clarification of any item you don’t understand.
https://www.marylandattorneygeneral.gov/CPD Documents/Tips-Publications/77.pdf

Montgomery County Code 31-A governs Automobile Repair and repair businesses in the County. Maryland state Commercial Law, Title 14, Subtitle 10 also applies. Here is a summary of the laws:

• Estimates for work over $25.00 must be given upon request, and the final bill must be within 10% of the estimate unless the customer is notified. County Code §31A-10
  • Authorizations (whether written or oral) are required. MD Commercial Law §14-1008
  • Used, or rebuilt parts are to be identified in the estimate. The customer's description of the problem, or requests for repair are to be included.
  • Labor charges, service charges, charges for release of the vehicle in the event that it is not repaired, charges if any, for making the estimate are to be stated prior to making the estimate.
  • A detailed invoice identifying the customer and vehicle, including the odometer reading, is to be provided upon completion of repairs.
  • The invoice is to be signed by the merchant. The technician is to be identified, terms or limitations of the warranty must be stated, and replaced parts are to be offered, except parts returned to the manufacturer under warranty.
  • Parts to be rebuilt, called "core" parts, can be returned, but the consumer will have to pay the charge the shop would receive as credit. If you do not want to pay the core charges, most repair facilities will let you see the parts before they are sent back, as long as arrangements are made before the job is accepted. See Montgomery County Code §31A-13; MD Comm Law §14-1004.
  • Notices are to be posted advising consumers of their rights, and the shop's policy on storage charges. No storage charges are due for a period of twenty-four hours from the date of completion of the repairs, unless otherwise agreed.
  • Not all disclaimers are enforceable. Merchants are responsible to take reasonable care of your vehicle, though a Court may have to make the decision of what is "reasonable".
Spotting Auto Repair Scams,Office of Consumer Protection, Montgomery County, MD

Thank you Russell! I have emailed the manager David to help. I was told by Graham he couldn’t fit their mistake, and David was out today. This was bad for Tesla on two fronts:

1. Reflashing the FPGA is not likely a fix for eMMC related issues(wrong servicing)

2. The estimate I approved was for $0.00, and I asked the SC to look into my eMMC issues like: homelink stopped functioning, stereo volume locked up, streaming locked up, ect. Next thing I know my car service is done and I have to pay for FPGA reflash, which was never discussed before(illegal service charging)

I'm being told this right now. I had my 2012 Model S looked at for eMMC warranty and they came back and charged me $200 to reflash the FPGA, and I didn't even authorize the work! What can I do?? Tesla SC in Rockville is extorting me to pay or else I won't get my car back.
This is so shady. I know you didn't authorize it, but when you do get your car back, can you confirm it did or did not fix the problem? And can you ask the service center what the next recourse is when it doesn't fix the problem. And if you get a refund back if it doesn't fix the problem? I'm doing the same thing on my end this week. I hate we are having to walk them through this logic....

The reflash did not work! I left my house this morning and again the homelink did not function to control the garage. I have to reboot the MCU to refresh the memory system which points to the eMMC as the degrading hardware. I know there are smarter people than myself on this site and hope someone can chime in to educate/confirm what I am saying.

Don’t use Rockville SC! They will charge you, not get your approval for the work, and then hold your car with storage fees until you pay!!

I tried several time to discuss this with the Service Manager but he won’t return my calls or emails.

I found another owner from NYC didn’t have to pay, see their $0 bill for eMMC work attached.

Attachments

• 55B20C30-FD6A-451B-84F4-A14090CF936E.jpeg
    55B20C30-FD6A-451B-84F4-A14090CF936E.jpeg
    110.9 KB · Views: 172
I had noticed over the last months that my centre display of my January 2016 S70D took longer to reboot than it used to. 131,000 km on the clock. After not driving the car for a while bluetooth and WiFi weren’t working a couple of days ago. Trying to reboot this morning while trying to trouble shoot, the screen went off and didn’t come on again, instead being replaced by the message ‘Centre Display Unavailable, Driving and user settings could not be restored.” In the dash display.
She’s still driving with the additional message that convenience features are unavailable. Have booked myself in for January down in Sydney as this seems to be pretty terminal for the MCU. I got the email regarding warranty replacement a few weeks ago and hope that will cover it.

The car still charges at home but I’ll need one supercharger stop to make it to the SC. Any advice what the car is still able to do and how to drive it in the current state? Tesla app doesn’t connect to the car either, but key unlocks the charge port and boots...

Thanks guys!

Zodiacchris, Not all Tesla SC treat customers the same so maybe you have better luck with the one you’re going to. I do know that there must be a strict guideline from Tesla to the SC to not replace the eMMC unless there is a constant rebooting of the MCU. Also, I am surprised that you cannot connect with the Tesla app because that’s what people are using as a crutch when the system fails. Good luck, and make sure they give you an estimate of any work that they’re attempting to charge you.

My car has every symptom of this. I made an appointment for Dec. 15th, A service tech texted me and said my screen doesn't need replacement. He said, there was corrupt files in my memory. He also said something plugged into my USB on the car had corrupt files causing the issue.... i charge my phone with that USB port. Still, my car is having a considerable delay during start up and network errors.

Also, my 265 mile rated P85+, is averaging roughly 105 miles of actual driving distance between charges. Tesla says the battery is healthy and they don't see hardware issues.

My car has every symptom of this. I made an appointment for Dec. 15th, A service tech texted me and said my screen doesn't need replacement. He said, there was corrupt files in my memory. He also said something plugged into my USB on the car had corrupt files causing the issue.... i charge my phone with that USB port. Still, my car is having a considerable delay during start up and network errors.

Also, my 265 mile rated P85+, is averaging roughly 105 miles of actual driving distance between charges. Tesla says the battery is healthy and they don't see hardware issues.
I have also received the "something plugged into USB" BS.....

Reactions: aerodyne
Today my screen froze again, after a full factory reset was performed and the latest update was installed 2 days ago by Tesla, my screen froze again... sent a video to the service department, waiting to hear back

QUOTE="supratachophobia, post: 5200703, member: 28691"]I have also received the "something plugged into USB" BS.....[/QUOTE]

Apparently, the SvC's have joined the Elon cost saving initiative, the GOP, Game of Pennies.

Waiting 10 weeks for my daughterboard to be shipped. I was told even if it does arrive, no guarantee they will install it.

I updated to the new release that has the emmc warning, and an going to cancel my SvC visit.

Maybe I'll have better luck next year

Has anyone had the warranty black screen fix done by mobile service? The email says Service Center, but the nearest SC for me right now is a 5-1/2 hour trip, one way.
Following up... I asked Tesla support about this and they responded:

“A vehicle inspection and diagnosis by Tesla Service, upon experiencing the symptoms outlined above, can confirm your vehicle’s eligibility. This inspection does need to be completed at a Tesla Service Center and is not eligible for mobile service at this time.”

FWIW...

Following up... I asked Tesla support about this and they responded:

“A vehicle inspection and diagnosis by Tesla Service, upon experiencing the symptoms outlined above, can confirm your vehicle’s eligibility. This inspection does need to be completed at a Tesla Service Center and is not eligible for mobile service at this time.”

FWIW...

So, no more remote diagnosis. I guess they are not serious getting these emmc chips replaced.

2013 Model S 60,000 mile (March 2013)

hi all scanning this thread and trying to watch others too. So, I think Tesla is being really shady with me. I was having a lot of problems with the screen and infotainment system going back to May/June of this year. Tesla SC said that had to replace the eMMC / MCU, sent me a bill to authorize and then told me it would be weeks before they had the parts... I finally bring the car in to the SC in Sept, but there was a misunderstanding about no loaner being available (I needed the car / car seat). So I had to leave and reschedule. That got cancelled out. Right after I started trying to reschedule, they may the announcement about covering the eMMC repair -- GREAT -- but now SC is saying, oh your eMMC unit is fine, we diagnosed it, you just have software issues that we will fix in an update...

So when you wanted me to pay for it, I needed the eMMC, but now that you are covering it you suddenly have a diagnostic tool and I don't need this part? Also, note, I age out of this warranty coverage in March 2021

Anyone else think this is shady?

2013 Model S 60,000 mile (March 2013)

hi all scanning this thread and trying to watch others too. So, I think Tesla is being really shady with me. I was having a lot of problems with the screen and infotainment system going back to May/June of this year. Tesla SC said that had to replace the eMMC / MCU, sent me a bill to authorize and then told me it would be weeks before they had the parts... I finally bring the car in to the SC in Sept, but there was a misunderstanding about no loaner being available (I needed the car / car seat). So I had to leave and reschedule. That got cancelled out. Right after I started trying to reschedule, they may the announcement about covering the eMMC repair -- GREAT -- but now SC is saying, oh your eMMC unit is fine, we diagnosed it, you just have software issues that we will fix in an update...

So when you wanted me to pay for it, I needed the eMMC, but now that you are covering it you suddenly have a diagnostic tool and I don't need this part? Also, note, I age out of this warranty coverage in March 2021

Anyone else think this is shady?

This is happening because of orders from the top. No question in my mind, SvC managers have to explain their expenses to Tesla mgmt.

I can't even get a daughter board when I offer to pay for it

Some options are, get it done third party, maybe you will be reimbursed, but at least the problem will go away.

Get the latest 40.9.2 update, which should have the eMMC degraded message. When it shows up, take a picture, send it to NTSB, and wait for the recall, which will probably happen soon the way Tesla is handling things.

Reactions: supratachophobia