Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Warranty Adjustment Program – Touchscreen Component email - Wow - watch for it

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My Model S from 2013 has been turning the screen on and off every few minutes when driving. I have about 60K miles and the warranty is good until February. I got the notice. However, I called my local Tesla Service Center (Berkeley CA) and all I got was a message to use the app to make an appointment. I tried and cannot navigate the app to get to service. I am not good with apps and used to call Tesla to make appointments for service. Is there a number where a real person can help me? Everything is automated. I followed the instructions to go to the Tesla website slash support slash warranty-adjustment-program and all I got was a copy of the email with FAQs, nothing that actually allows me to connect to someone. I was an early adopter 8 years ago, but now at 75 I'm not good with all these menus and no one to talk to.

Help please!!

Here is an example via Youtube video:

Reactions: aerodyne
I have a 2016 model S that will soon be at the end of the 4 year warranty. I have had the screen go blank a couple of times at very inconvenient moments. Since I am nearing the end of warranty, I had a service appointment on this issue about two weeks ago. They claim they fixed it with a software update. It has gone blank twice since, but not for as long or at an inconvenient time.

One time I thought it was dead. I drove home with nothing, not able to adjust controls. The next morning it was back on.

My screen was failing and it felt quite dangerous. It was at the SC about a month ago and they replaced it under the ESA with a new MCU 1. I assume it was a new unit? They had to order it and it took about 2 weeks to come in. My Nav doesn't always work, meaning I'll plug in the destination and it either keeps looping, or eventually does give me directions.. Wonder if they didn't replace the unit? Everything else is working now.

Our MX built in Apr 2017 has been doing this for months (slow start up, blank screen, painfully slow navigation starts, screen looking like old time tv snow, unresponsive main screen, smaller screen blank for 2-3 minutes at start up)
Restart usually fixes it but delays start of drive by several minutes.
I made an appointment but got a text back saying they check my car remotely and they couldn't find an issue??
Does anyone know how I can escalate this issue past the "screener" on the app?

I just got a text back in response to me saying I want to cancel my MCU2 upgrade and get the warranty replacement.

I have reviewed your vehicle remotely and the Emmc does not need to be replaced at this time. I would need exact time and dates of any problems you have had with the touchscreen to troubleshoot. At this point I still would recommend the upgrade. Please let me know if you still want me to remove this option.
Odd that they've both remotely determined I don't need a replacement but also need exact times and dates of problems. It seems the bar for a replacement is that the thing has totally failed. I also laughed at the "still would recommend the upgrade".

I'm torn, on the one hand I'm saving $2500, at least for now, but I'm annoyed that I "have" to live with the glitching until it gets worse. I put "have" in quotes because I acknowledge I am choosing to save the $2500 and don't really have to live with it.

I just got a text back in response to me saying I want to cancel my MCU2 upgrade and get the warranty replacement.

I have reviewed your vehicle remotely and the Emmc does not need to be replaced at this time. I would need exact time and dates of any problems you have had with the touchscreen to troubleshoot. At this point I still would recommend the upgrade. Please let me know if you still want me to remove this option.
Odd that they've both remotely determined I don't need a replacement but also need exact times and dates of problems. It seems the bar for a replacement is that the thing has totally failed. I also laughed at the "still would recommend the upgrade".

I'm torn, on the one hand I'm saving $2500, at least for now, but I'm annoyed that I "have" to live with the glitching until it gets worse. I put "have" in quotes because I acknowledge I am choosing to save the $2500 and don't really have to live with it.

Since you are having these problems on a daily basis, I would take photos or vid of the worst and upload them on the app.

The trouble is, the symptoms gradually get worse or problems get more frequent and more prolonged, and then suddenly, BAM! you are dead in the water. In my case, it took several months to go from suspicions of a problem to the point at which the SC was willing to replace it and ordered the parts. And then I put it off a while, and then one day the MCU would not start at all. Fortunately, I am retired, plus we were in the Covid-19 shutdown, so I did not need the car that much and could wait for an appointment. Of course, I had mine done when they were still replacing the entire MCU, whereas now only the memory itself is replaced, so parts "should" be less of an issue now.

Crosspost:

So apparently I received the email about eMMC repairs now being covered under warranty. Scheduled a service appointment within about 5 min. Service center says I need to be one to diagnose the issue. I'm supposed to keep a log of every time the MCU craps out. Then they sent me an estimate for the upcoming appointment (assuming I do my homework), and there is a $90 diagnostic fee. Sorry, who's the one doing the diagnosing here?

Tesla Service: "Not as good as it used to be."

So, why is the diagnosis fee not covered if the diagnosis shows a defective part covered under warranty?

If true, for 200 more you could just pay to have it done...

Then the next problem would be, do they have parts? 6 weeks in and still my daughter board I ordered has not been shipped ..

I also just got this e-mail (Sept '17 Model X). I had already paid for the MCU2 upgrade since my MCU1 was starting to fail due to the eMMC issue and I didn't see any reason to throw good money into a repair when I could get a vastly improved experience with the MCU2 upgrade. My service center even verbally told me I was within a few thousand miles of total failure depending on driving/use conditions that contributed to higher eMMC wear.

It's not reasonable to expect Tesla to completely reimburse those of us that did this, but it would I do think it would be appropriate for some form of compensation - perhaps a $500 credit or something along those lines?

My Model S from 2013 has been turning the screen on and off every few minutes when driving. I have about 60K miles and the warranty is good until February. I got the notice. However, I called my local Tesla Service Center (Berkeley CA) and all I got was a message to use the app to make an appointment. I tried and cannot navigate the app to get to service. I am not good with apps and used to call Tesla to make appointments for service. Is there a number where a real person can help me? Everything is automated. I followed the instructions to go to the Tesla website slash support slash warranty-adjustment-program and all I got was a copy of the email with FAQs, nothing that actually allows me to connect to someone. I was an early adopter 8 years ago, but now at 75 I'm not good with all these menus and no one to talk to.

Help please!!
I work in the tech sector, I'm not near 75, and even I have problems with using the app on the phone for things like service - I mean the app is fine as "another way" to access service, but I am not of the opinion that it should the ONLY way - what's wrong with traditional web site/ticket/email/phone?
I do like that it's good for things like "take a pic of your damage" and it's uploaded to Tesla.

I dropped of my car on Monday morning for the MCU2 upgrade and got the email that afternoon. My MCU had all the reported symptoms of failure. The MCU was completely unusable and I had to have it fixed.

I never received an "invitation" to upgrade, but I scheduled a couple of appointments over the last few months to have them look at it. The answer was usually clearing of the cache. About a month ago, they said ok you can do the upgrade and I was able to schedule for Nov 9th.

When I picked up my car the next day, I did ask for a credit but I got the answer I expected. This was an upgrade and not a repair.
I pointed out I may have opted for the no cost option had it been available. I really did not want to invest $500 or whatever it costs into the old hardware. Good money after bad.

I will wait and see if any reimbursement options are available come February. I must say the new MCU is nice... it's like getting a new computer or phone after your old one has become bogged down and slow. I also did not realize they would update the Auto Pilot computer to HW3 even though I don't have FSD. A pretty good bonus.

I also just got this e-mail (Sept '17 Model X). I had already paid for the MCU2 upgrade since my MCU1 was starting to fail due to the eMMC issue and I didn't see any reason to throw good money into a repair when I could get a vastly improved experience with the MCU2 upgrade. My service center even verbally told me I was within a few thousand miles of total failure depending on driving/use conditions that contributed to higher eMMC wear.

It's not reasonable to expect Tesla to completely reimburse those of us that did this, but it would I do think it would be appropriate for some form of compensation - perhaps a $500 credit or something along those lines?

I would be happy if they offered to provide the FM / XM radio replacement for MCU2 (that is rumored Tesla will be selling for $500) for no charge when it comes out late this year or early Q1 2021 (according to those same rumors).

Reactions: pilotSteve
I would be happy if they offered to provide the FM / XM radio replacement for MCU2 (that is rumored Tesla will be selling for $500) for no charge when it comes out late this year or early Q1 2021 (according to those same rumors).
Yes, that would work for me as well. Although I admit, I have not missed having it once since my upgrade earlier this year.

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve
I dropped of my car on Monday morning for the MCU2 upgrade and got the email that afternoon. My MCU had all the reported symptoms of failure. The MCU was completely unusable and I had to have it fixed.

This is exactly what I’m afraid of. And I fear it will happen when the car is in the garage (very hard to get out due to side entry), on a trip, or worse on the way to a airplane or cruise vacation and miss the vacation.

My system crashed last road trip about 125 miles from any service center. Both screens went black and eventually rebooted. Had it not come back we would have missed the primary reason for the trip (and left my child very upset).

Appt scheduled for next Friday. Will see what they say.

I'm struggling with Tesla right now on this issue. I have the ESA, and based on their diagnostics, my level of eMMC wear doesn't warrant a replacement. This is most likely the reason I haven't received the e-mail telling me to get it fixed via the new extended replacement/upgrade program. I have about 3,000km left on my ESA. My car is with Tesla as I type this.

Other than the usual sluggishness, the MCU locks up all the time when doing simple stuff. Locked up again this morning on the way to Tesla while playing a podcast. Couldn't get any other audio other than FM. Couldn't stream from my phone. My XM has been completely dead for a month - can't use the touch screen to select a channel. Steering wheel controls to go through favourites stopped working too (that used to work). It only tunes to the preview channel.

Ironically, I was told that if I wasn't under the ESA it would be easier to get the fix. I would just have to pay for it. Considering the deductible is about $300 CAD and the upgraded daughterboard/repair is ~$550, it would appear as if Tesla is torturing me over $250.

• Informative
Reactions: David29