Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Warranty - does anyone have their warranty terms from 2017

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

I have had an issue which relates to low voltage and so I’ve spoken to Tesla who’ve said that the car needs a new battery pack and it is not covered by warranty. They looked at remote logs and concluded this without an inspection. The cost of the replacement is $50k inc and there appears to be no potential for a single battery bank to be at fault (based upon what they’ve said). They’ve quoted the current version of the warranty to me but my legal guys say that the terms that apply are those that applied when the car was sold, not the current terms. They’ve asked me to try to track down the original warranty.

The car is a CP 04/17, Built 07/17, TESLA, Model X, 75D.

I was wondering if anyone has a warranty from 2017? Specifically the clause related to battery pack warranty.

thanking you

How on earth could a 2 year old car that had at the time an 8 year warranty that has a battery problem be a user payable $50k expense?? That seems insane and I can’t see on what grounds they could possibly get away with that.

...They’ve quoted the current version of the warranty to me but my legal guys say that the terms that apply are those that applied when the car was sold, not the current terms...

I don't think there's any change in the main battery warranty since 2012 to your purchase of 2017 as well as the current 2019 which says:

"Your vehicle's Battery and Drive Unit are covered under this Battery and Drive Unit Limited Warranty for a period of:

• Model S and Model X - 8 years (with the exception of the original 60 kWh battery manufactured before 2015 that is covered for a period of 8 years or 125,000 miles/200,000 km, whichever comes first)."

Please tell me what is the problem of the above current 2019 language that you feel is not covering your 2017 car?

Hi,

I have had an issue which relates to low voltage and so I’ve spoken to Tesla who’ve said that the car needs a new battery pack and it is not covered by warranty. They looked at remote logs and concluded this without an inspection. The cost of the replacement is $50k inc and there appears to be no potential for a single battery bank to be at fault (based upon what they’ve said). They’ve quoted the current version of the warranty to me but my legal guys say that the terms that apply are those that applied when the car was sold, not the current terms. They’ve asked me to try to track down the original warranty.

The car is a CP 04/17, Built 07/17, TESLA, Model X, 75D.

I was wondering if anyone has a warranty from 2017? Specifically the clause related to battery pack warranty.

thanking you

If you have checked your "My Tesla" account recently you will notice it has changed a lot. What's missing is where you were able to upload documents. Fortunately, I kept a digital copy of the warranty. Important for me as my car has 160k/8yr body warranty and 8yr/unlimited km battery/drivetrain warranty. Unfortunately, the new "My Tesla" account page shows my body warranty as 80k/4yr so that's a fight I might have to have another day. Good luck.

The attached is the warranty from April 2017 specifically for Australia. Hope this helps.

Attachments

• New_Vehicle_Limited_Warranty_AU_0.pdf
    494.6 KB · Views: 86
Please tell me what is the problem of the above current 2019 language that you feel is not covering your 2017 car?

In my instance, the warranty from April 2017 clearly states a 160k/8yr body warranty and the warranty referred to in the new revamped "My Tesla" account page references the October 2019 warranty which is 80k/4yr body warranty. Obviously, I have a preference for retaining the original, more protective for me, longer body warranty.

...160k/8yr body warranty...

Thanks for the attached 2017 warranty file.

It looks like the 2017 battery language portion is exactly the same as 2012 to current 2019 which is applicable to this thread's 2017 car as well:

"Your vehicle’s Battery and Drive Unit are covered under this Battery and Drive Unit Limited Warranty for a period of 8 years, with the exception of the original 60 kWh battery (manufactured before 2015) that is covered for a period of 8 years or 200,000 km, whichever comes first."

So, @csl2c3000, what is the legal guy objecting with the above 2012 to 2019 battery coverage?

Thanks for the attached 2017 warranty file.

It looks like the 2017 battery language portion is exactly the same as 2012 to current 2019 which is applicable to this thread's 2017 car as well:

"Your vehicle’s Battery and Drive Unit are covered under this Battery and Drive Unit Limited Warranty for a period of 8 years, with the exception of the original 60 kWh battery (manufactured before 2015) that is covered for a period of 8 years or 200,000 km, whichever comes first."

So, @csl2c3000, what is the legal guy objecting with the above 2012 to 2019 battery coverage?

Yeah sorry. I know the OP was about battery but there was a small window where the body warranty was double current warranty. Just wanted to highlight what Tesla was up to in deleting uploaded docs and referring to current rather than past docs.

• Helpful
Reactions: Sherlo and Tam
Thanks @Jays200 that's exactly what I suspected, there are differences in the warranty that impact an owner's rights in my situation.

The story is a long one, but in brief (and as they relate to the warranty terms) the car was in an accident, repaired by an authorised Telsa repairer and then traveled a further 5,000 kms before it displayed signs of "Low Voltage". I'm not even sure that the diagnosis of the battery pack being the issue is correct, or whether it is something else. Image attached shows the damage prior to repair.

Attachments

• Accident-1.jpg
    Accident-1.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 125
There must be more to the story. Repaired write off? Water damage? Car used as external power source?
If there isn’t more to the story then we should all be very afraid....

1) It sounds like Tesla associates the battery problem to a collision or accident which has always been excluded since 2012 to 2019 and I don't see how that would be any different for 2017.

2) When Tesla sells the car, it is obligated to provide the owner the warranty documentation. If missing or lost, the owner has the right to ask for the 2017 warranty to be uploaded to the Account page or sent to the owner via e-mail.

Last edited:
Thanks csl, interesting one that may apply to a lot of us.
Were you aware of any battery damage at the time of the accident? Did Tesla make you aware that the battery would no longer be warranted?
Just thinking, assuming the car was insured, and Tesla believe the accident has damaged the battery such that they will no longer warrant it, then does the insurer have to replace the battery as part of the crash repairs? Might be difficult 2 years later, but for those of us who are yet to have our first crash in a Tesla it might be important.

Is there any ICE precedent here? Making a warranty claim against a component that has been repaired following an accident? I’d have thought if the manufacturer could show that it was damaged in the accident or incorrectly repaired then the repaired would be liable? Don’t most insurers have lifetime warranties on repairs?

Reactions: MP3Mike
There's also a 2017 Model S 70D in UK that was involved in an accident that year with intact battery physically but still costs £22,000GBP as it failed after 2,000 miles with the current owner 2 years later.

It sounds like the current owner can't convince Tesla that the current failed battery has nothing to do with the accident 2 years ago.

It sounds like the current owner can't convince Tesla that the current failed battery has nothing to do with the accident 2 years ago.

If we assume Tesla are correct and the subsequent failure of the battery was caused by the accident. Then have the insurer/repairer (assuming the car was insured at the time of the accident), not properly repaired the car? What if it was a not at fault accident, now that the owner has identified that the accident has also damaged the battery can they recover costs from the at fault party or their insurer...?

The story is a long one, but in brief (and as they relate to the warranty terms) the car was in an accident, repaired by an authorised Telsa repairer and then traveled a further 5,000 kms before it displayed signs of "Low Voltage".
Go back to the repairer and tell him that the battery has a problem and it was caused by the accident and could he have a look to confirm. If he accepts it as damaged then it needs to be covered under insurance. If they say there is nothing wrong with it, then go to Tesla. If all fails, go to small claims and tie the 3 parties in to the case.

If we assume Tesla are correct and the subsequent failure of the battery was caused by the accident. Then have the insurer/repairer (assuming the car was insured at the time of the accident), not properly repaired the car? What if it was a not at fault accident, now that the owner has identified that the accident has also damaged the battery can they recover costs from the at fault party or their insurer...?

One possible small detail in some of these cases is:

1) The car might not be purchased directly from Tesla (which might explain the missing warranty document)
2) The car might be a salvage title as a result of an accident and the warranty is automatically voided.

As @PJF000 suggested, they should go back to the previous owner, repairer, car insurance to hold them responsible.

Thus, after your car is repaired from an accident, it might be prudent to pay extra for Tesla Service Center to do a complete inspection to make sure all collision-related issues have been dealt with.

after your car is repaired from an accident, it might be prudent to pay extra for Tesla Service Center to do a complete inspection to make sure all collision-related issues have been dealt with.
Yes, well, the car was fully repaired by a Tesla Approved Repairer and during that process they had an issue with clearing all the fault codes so they sent it (on a tow truck) to a Tesla service Centre which did a thorough diagnostic and inspection and resolved the fault codes. The car was fully repaired and functioning when it was released from the Tesla Service Centre.

Was the car ever written off by an insurer? Or was it repaired by insurance as a normal repair job?
According to the Warranty doc. it only needs to be in an accident and (demonstrably) damaged and the warranty is void. You would need the insurer to give written notice (preferably a stat. dec.) that there was no visible damage, no opening of, or work done on, the battery pack and Tesla to agree. Then you may have a chance. If it was damaged in the accident, then the insurer (if there was one) should be liable. It is clear from the Warranty doc. who would be liable. Otherwise only a court could decide otherwise.

Reactions: paulp and Tension