Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Warranty (esp. driving through floods!)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I also noticed that the warranty is voided if the car is driven or transported outside of the US and Canada. Apparently driving to Mexico or taking the car to Europe voids the warranty. I've never seen that in another car.

"For purposes of this New Vehicle Limited Warranty, the Tesla North America Warranty Region is defined as all 50 states of the United States of America, the District of Columbia, and all 13 provinces and territories of Canada. If your vehicle was sold, transported or driven outside the Tesla North America Warranty Region, no warranties, including this New Vehicle Limited Warranty, will apply."

"The following will also void this New Vehicle Limited Warranty:
• Vehicles that have been transported or driven outside the Tesla North America Warranty Region;"

Last edited:
I also noticed that the warranty is voided if the car is driven or transported outside of the US and Canada. Apparently driving to Mexico or taking the car to Europe voids the warranty. I've never seen that in another car.

"For purposes of this New Vehicle Limited Warranty, the Tesla North America Warranty Region is defined as all 50 states of the United States of America, the District of Columbia, and all 13 provinces and territories of Canada. If your vehicle was sold, transported or driven outside the Tesla North America Warranty Region, no warranties, including this New Vehicle Limited Warranty, will apply."

"The following will also void this New Vehicle Limited Warranty:
• Vehicles that have been transported or driven outside the Tesla North America Warranty Region;"

It might have to do with the mains power voltage/current/quality.

I'd hope that bad power at worst would toast the charger.
According to the warranty, it's void if you drive into Mexico, have dinner and drive back. It's also void if your car is trucked through Mexico without being driven at all. It just seems pretty Draconian.
It does seem overly strict. I know the Leaf and iMIEV warranty is void if you register or "normally operate" the car outside the US (plus Canada for the Leaf). For the Leaf you can explicitly operate the car outside North America for "not exceeding sixty (60) consecutive days or sixty (60) days in any one 12 month period".

The iMIEV says: "This Limited Warranty applies only to Vehicles that are registered in the United States and normally operated in the United States or temporarily traveling in Canada." So maybe it is just as strict.

Although in general I wouldn't recommend driving even a gas car to Mexico and filling up there, because the gas blends there might void your car warranty.

-30C is cold but it happens here for a week or two a year. If the car can't handle this (even plugged in) it's pretty key to know as the car is not an option me and many others I would expect.

We get -35C a few times a year but never for 24 hrs straight. I wish Tesla would provide more information like what it is that might get damaged in those conditions. Would the coolant freeze? I few times last winter I had to park my Roadster overnight without plugging in when it got down to -15C and I wondered if I was hurting anything when I drove it the next day. You can't charge a Lithium ion battery at those temps without damaging it so I'm curious why it doesn't damage the battery to discharge at those temps. Would be nice if Tesla provided more info.

In thinking about this a bit more, voiding the warranty if you drive into Mexico for dinner isn't an empty threat.
The car's navigation system will record you were there. The next time it reports back wirelessly, or you go in for annual inspection, you're off warranty.

It seems that the warranty is also not going to be honored if you don't get the service contract. Are they perhaps thinking they'll increase the bottom line by voiding warranties?

@stopcrazypp - I've never heard of anyone having serious engine problems, much less a warranty problem, because of bad gas. What could it do? Anti-knock sensors will retard the ignition if it's really poor grade. If it's full of junk, the filters may clog up and stop the car. Unless they put a good shot of nitro methane in, how could it hurt the engine? In any case, that would be more of an insurance problem than a warranty one I'd think. I don't think I"d get an oil change there though.

You can't charge a Lithium ion battery at those temps without damaging it so I'm curious why it doesn't damage the battery to discharge at those temps. Would be nice if Tesla provided more info.
According to this article, a plating of metallic lithium forms on the anode if you charge below freezing. The reverse doesn't happen during discharge since the chemical reaction is different (the lithium ions are moving from anode to cathode, and the cathode is made of a lithium compound in the first place). A word of warning though is that at low temperatures you run a higher risk of over-discharge (since internal resistance increases).
http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/charging_at_high_and_low_temperatures

@stopcrazypp - I've never heard of anyone having serious engine problems, much less a warranty problem, because of bad gas.
I only read about the possibility of voided warranties in articles talking about people going to Mexico for cheaper gas. I think the damage is related to something similar to ethanol mixes (see the whole controversy over E15). I don't think it'll do much noticeable damage short term, but long term it might. And if the automaker can prove you used a blend not covered by the warranty, they can void it.

Last edited:
I
@stopcrazypp - I've never heard of anyone having serious engine problems, much less a warranty problem, because of bad gas. What could it do? Anti-knock sensors will retard the ignition if it's really poor grade. If it's full of junk, the filters may clog up and stop the car. Unless they put a good shot of nitro methane in, how could it hurt the engine? In any case, that would be more of an insurance problem than a warranty one I'd think. I don't think I"d get an oil change there though.

It does happen. There was a big case in the UK a couple of years ago with one of the big supermarket chains selling a batch of contaminated fuel in their petrol stations. Effect seems to have been to kill the oxygen sensors. In this case, there was enough publicity that they very quickly offered to pay for repairs. If it had been on a smaller scale, probably noone would have realised what the source of the problem was.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2007/mar/06/oilandpetrol.transportintheuk
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007_United_Kingdom_petrol_contamination

I suppose you're right in the sense that cars don't "feel," but a car parked in the open at -20° will get cold-soaked sooner if the wind is howling through at 90 km/h. And of course, Canadians don't feel windchill much either ;) (we're tough, and, well, slightly numb...)

LOL When air is moving, convection occurs. When air is still it's mainly conduction and/or radiation. Conduction through air isn't very efficient.

Windchill is kind of a useless measurement anyway. I think it was invented for bragging rights (instead of saying it's -30 you can say the windchill is -50). My experience has been that when it's that cold your main interest is getting back inside.

LOL When air is moving, convection occurs. When air is still it's mainly conduction and/or radiation. Conduction through air isn't very efficient.

Windchill is kind of a useless measurement anyway. I think it was invented for bragging rights (instead of saying it's -30 you can say the windchill is -50). My experience has been that when it's that cold your main interest is getting back inside.
I suspect it's also a human safety thing. For the weather authorities to further drive home "get back inside, you idiot".