Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Warranty expiring - List of typical failures

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi there,

We have a December 2012 built P85 on a CPO warranty that is expiring in May. We've had many things done (including a new HV battery), but want to make sure we check everything that commonly fails or is an potential issue prior to the warranty expiration.

Has anyone accumulated a list of commonly failing items and customer-request upgrades that can be done?

Thank you.

Reactions: tomjonesrocks
Pre-2015, the Model S might have issues with water leaking into the into rear tail lights and liftgate. If you've been out in the recent heavy rains, then you likely already know whether or not it's a problem for your car, but check for moisture inside the tail lights, and water dripping out of openings in the bottom of the liftgate when it's raised.

Battery heater.
Is the TPMS system updated? I was putting off the update when the Gen 1 module failed jambed up the CanBus disabling the car.

Try and charge it at 80amps if dual equipped, my car has a fault in the secondary and only pulls 72amps because of this.

Battery heater.
Is the TPMS system updated? I was putting off the update when the Gen 1 module failed jambed up the CanBus disabling the car.

Try and charge it at 80amps if dual equipped, my car has a fault in the secondary and only pulls 72amps because of this.
Are you sure it is ever supposed to charge at 80A? Mine only goes to 72/72 right from day 1. Does it says 72/80 for you?

Our S85 also dates back to December 2012. During the pre-owned warranty period, our sunroof ("panoramic roof") leaked pretty badly. It seems that this was a relatively common issue with the older cars. Tesla replaced the roof with "version 2" (and also replaced the water-stained headliner). No issues with leaks since then, and we park outside in all weather.

Are you sure it is ever supposed to charge at 80A? Mine only goes to 72/72 right from day 1. Does it says 72/80 for you?
Yes it says 72/80, it is a 2014 P85 and I actually paid Tesla $300 to swap charger positions because the one with the fault was primary. I hadn't had the car long a new charger was $2200, I didn't have time to wait for them to order and I have some hope it might be a $15 internal fuse.
Service is 5 hours from home for me, I might have paid for the new charger but waiting even a day for one to arrive would have screwed up travel plans.

2017 S100D 97% 65,000+ easy highway miles.

Since the extended warranty kicked in I have had
1: Passenger headlamp replace(Led eyelid 1/2 out)
2: Drivers repeater replaced (condensation)
3: Front passenger door handled removed and adjusted (sticking out)
4: MCU complete failure and replaced
5: Having front drive shafts replaced next week due to milling sound

I use EAP almost entirely and when I am driving I do not push it at all so these are really easy commute miles on my car and still the above list in the last 2.5 months and THANK GOODNESS I purchased the extended warranty

• Helpful
  • Informative
Reactions: vraev and TaoJones
Battery heater.

OK, so I've looked through al the suggestions (thank you!) and these are the ones we have not addressed:

TPMS: Thanks, our car threw the TPMS error - Take to Tesla Service error while driving in the rain on the freeway the other day. I snapped a photo, but the message went out about 20 minutes later. Is this grounds for the upgrade? My neighbor said he had that done too.

Twin Charger: Yes, we have those but never use them. How would we do this test to verify if we do not have the correct home charger? I've heard the charging systems can go and would love to exercise that and verify it.

Instrument Cluster: Our center dislpay and MCU were replaced due to bubbles in the display, but I have not been able to detect any on the drivers instrument display. Anything to check for or examine more closely?

Pano Roof: We have that and do park outside, but haven't noticed any problems yet. Anything to check for besides staining the headliner?

Headlights: haven't noticed anything, but haven't really examined closely. Anything to look for - maybe an LED out, etc.?

Charge Port: My neighbor had this replaced, so far so good on ours. Anything to check for?

Thanks all! I will try to post a list once this is done.

Reactions: Superendo
Thread watched. I have essentially the same vehicle ('13 P85) purchased ~8 months ago CPO - now approaching 80k mi so will be under warranty a little while longer. I intentionally avoided the pano roof so can't help there.

The included warranty has already covered a lot at no cost:
- MCU replacement (failed like 1 month after taking ownership)
- TPMS system - Tesla updated to new system
- Noticed loud knock up front when the wheel was turned all the way to the right - struts and other front suspension work was done and didn't look cheap
- Minor - Visor replacement and B-Pillar interior trim replacement (broken mirror hinge, fabric peeling away off backing)
- Feel like I'm forgetting some other small things

I -love- this thing - but do worry when the warranty runs out if it's going to be brutal to maintain. Really would like to keep it and pile miles on for years. I'd like to think I could figure out how to deal with broken handles down the road but the prospect of paying out of pocket for a drive unit does worry me.

Frankly was quite pleased when the MCU promptly went out under warranty as I knew that was coming. And like you I wasn't able to determine prior to buying if door handles or the drive unit or whatever had been replaced. For now just trying to make sure if I notice any little thing I get in there for service (which has been fantastic).

Last edited:
Pano Roof: We have that and do park outside, but haven't noticed any problems yet. Anything to check for besides staining the headliner?
During a heavy rainstorm, I sort of noticed water dripping into the vehicle, but I wrote it off as a fluke and didn’t pay it much attention, figuring I must have let in some water when I had the door open. Days later, we noticed stains and dampness on the headliner.

The next time you wash the car’s exterior, maybe have someone sit inside it and look for leaks. On the other hand, it’s possible that Tesla already replaced the pano roof years ago.

To test the secondary charger you need someone else who has an 80amp wall connector you can use or a destination charger which is the same thing bit at a business.

On the TPMS I don't know if they would update the system under warranty for just a wheel sensor going dead. The wheel sensors have batteries that only last so long. The newer system displays actual tire pressures.

TPMS system - Tesla updated to new system
FYI, the updated system is still not faultless. My 2017 model reports the PSI 50% of the time, other times it is just dashes but no warning on the cluster. When I asked Tesla about it they said yes it is a known problem with that TPMS system going off line and (here we go) it will be fixed with a software update....it hasn't been yet.

Half shafts - 3rd replacement set
Jack shaft - 1st replacement
Driver's seat - 2nd replacement
MCU - 2nd replacement

I'm sure I'm forgetting some. Oh, and I'm still under 50K miles. (Spring 2017 S90D for those who don't see sig files).

I expect the 12V to fail next, and it'll be time to flush the brake fluid again here pretty soon.

Yeah, I'll be getting that ESA unless I find the right AP1 RWD S85 clone of the one I owned before this AP2 mistake.

Half shafts - 3rd replacement set
Jack shaft - 1st replacement
Driver's seat - 2nd replacement
MCU - 2nd replacement

I'm sure I'm forgetting some. Oh, and I'm still under 50K miles. (Spring 2017 S90D for those who don't see sig files).

I expect the 12V to fail next, and it'll be time to flush the brake fluid again here pretty soon.

Yeah, I'll be getting that ESA unless I find the right AP1 RWD S85 clone of the one I owned before this AP2 mistake.

Scary. Mine is same vintage as yours. What aew the shafts, and how do you know if they're bad?