Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Warranty for Radiator Leak

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The repairs were 270 Euro (Germany) for parts (radiator and coolant) and 230 Euro for labour (without VAT). I consider that pretty decent.

At the end I'm quite happy, that the reason for grounding my car was actually not a fault of the car itself.

Perhaps we should consider adding a screen in front of the rad as they did long ago in cars without AC. The AC condenser rad in today's cars protects the cooling rad from bugs, debris and stone damage. Older rads deteriorate starting at the bottom when cooling fins detach from the fluid tubes but that should not be the case for a newer Model S. Stones are the problem.

This could be an opportunity for some after market screening device.

After one week of driving, my new MS 75D is in the shop. I first found some green fluid on my bumper, and I immediately took the car to the service center. According to the service people, it was Radiator fluid leaking...and it is NOT covered by my warranty since the car could have been hit by a rock on Highway...I never took the car to car wash, nor got hit by anything as far as I can recall. My commute is mainly highway. But should the parts be more reliable and shouldn't the warranty cover it? this is frustrating for a new owner who might have to pay a lot to fix this....anyone else here had similar experience? estimate on the cost of repair if I have to pay....Thanks a lot.
I found you post. Have you had any other radiator leaks or punctures? I have 5000 miles on my MS 100D, same thing.

In some states, they are required to give you the old part if you ask for it.
Of course, sometimes, there's a core charge (batteries are often $10.)
No idea if that's of interest to you, but it's a way to ensure that car repair places are not ripping you off and not actually replacing what they say they're replacing.
In this instance, you could at least get to visually inspect your old radiator, and then dispose of it yourself, just so you know it really did happen.
Oh well, bad luck, many happy years ahead of you.

No idea if that's of interest to you, but it's a way to ensure that car repair places are not ripping you off and not actually replacing what they say they're replacing.
In this instance, you could at least get to visually inspect your old radiator, and then dispose of it yourself, just so you know it really did happen.

I highly doubt Tesla would pull any of these shenanigans, but for the places that do getting an old part back doesn't mean anything. They could have said something was bad, charged you for it, and then give you a bad part from someone else's car. And unless you have marked all the parts in your car you would have no way of knowing if it was yours or not.

In this case I suspect he knows for a fact that his radiator leaked, as he probably had a puddle of blue liquid somewhere, along with a low coolant warning.