TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Warranty Issue

Discussion in 'Roadster' started by Pantera Dude, Mar 27, 2013.

1. Pantera Dude

Pantera Dude Member

#1 Pantera Dude, Mar 27, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2013
    Tesla 3-4-2013 010.JPG I wish I didn’t have to write this, but I feel compelled to do so. Let me start by saying that I LOVE Tesla cars and what they stand for, but I am very disappointed in their customer service. I bought my roadster from the original owner in November of last year and received it on 11-28-12. The warranty expired on December 15th or 16th. I noticed right away that there was a problem with the appearance of the hood/bonnet. I thought, oh well, since the car is almost four years old and hasn’t been fixed, all roadsters must look the same. In January at the Tesla owners get together in Palos Verdes, California, it was brought to my attention that other roadsters do not look like mine. One owner asked me what was wrong with my hood when he saw it, (I had not said anything about it). He called one of his friends over to point out the problem. At that point, I was REALLY not happy about the issue. The next week I took the car to the Costa Mesa service center and showed them the problem. Unfortunately, they said they could not help me since my car was out of warranty. I explained to them that the hood had been defective since day one and had I known that, I would have brought it in before the warranty expired. They told me I was out of luck. After going up the ladder and talking to four different people that gave me the same answer, I finally got a very formal email stating basically, that Tesla would not fix the problem. I was a little surprised that Tesla was satisfied, and apparently proud, to have one of their halo cars, supposedly a “Premium” automobile out in public looking this bad. Tesla did make it clear to me that I was not the original owner and my thought was, what difference does that make? Are Tesla warranties not transferrable, that doesn’t sound right? The previous owner apparently never noticed the problem or wasn’t bothered by it. I was told by Tesla that a number of it’s employees had seen the car over the years and that they had never noticed the problem. I can see how Tesla, (might have), missed the flaw since it can’t be seen from all angles and in all lighting situations. I will attach a picture of the hood, which really doesn’t do it justice, it looks worse in person. If any of you feel the way that I do after seeing the photo, I would appreciate it if you would respond to this message so that I can forward it to Tesla. I’ve tried and tried for almost two months to resolve this issue. I REALLY didn’t want to make Tesla look bad, but they left me no choice.

Thank you,
    Art Stephens #107

2. Mycroft

Mycroft Life happens

Sorry Art, but I'm with Tesla on this one. Nobody took it in for warranty repair while the car was under warranty. Why should they do anything about it now?

3. Lloyd

Lloyd Active Member

#3 Lloyd, Mar 27, 2013
    You noticed it, chose not to take it in while under warranty, and nobody else did for 4 years, and now Tesla is the bad guy! I think not.

Look, it's an easy fix, prep and paint the hood. You have a very easy color to match. Make sure you get someone experienced in finishing fiberglass. Get it fixed and be happy IMO.

4. Zythryn

Zythryn MS 70D, MX 90D

I honestly don't see it, what is the issue?
    As for warrantee, if you don't bring an issue to the manufacturer's attention until after the warrantee, I see no reason for any manufacturer to fix it under warrantee.

Edit------
    Aha, think I see it now, the bigger gap between the 'fins'?
    Did you ask the original owner how that happened?

5. dadaleus

dadaleus 4GETOIL P85#S70,FdrX,S85D

Zythryn, I think he means the lines in the paint running vertically in the upper right quadrant of his image. I think the gap you are referring to is just a matter of camera angle.

Pantera Dude, welcome to the Tesla family. I know how frustrating it can be to be in that type of situation. Personally I'd put this in the unfortunate confluence category. I understand why you didn't do it before the warranty expired. I've definitely had that terrible feeling myself when it's too late. But I also understand why Tesla doesn't want to go down the slippery slope of fixing things on out of warranty cars, especially a cosmetic thing that had been there for so long. I hope you'll enjoy the car anyway and Mycroft and Lloyd's suggestions help. I had a Roadster Sport for almost three years and adored it before I traded to the S. I miss it a lot on nice weekend drives on PCH. Thankfully your issue has nothing to do with the really important parts involved in how it drives.

If they will still let you get it, you might consider the extended warranty. (I'm not up on the details of the Roadster extended warranty purchase terms.) I'm sure it wouldn't cover the paint (pre-existing) but you don't want to be stuck with something going wrong in the drivetrain.

6. Pantera Dude

Pantera Dude Member

#6 Pantera Dude, Mar 27, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 28, 2013
    It's the front section of the hood, it has probably fifty ridges/depressions in it that run all the way across the part. Apparently the part was not sanded before painting. I don't know how the painter or the person applying the Paint Armor missed it?

7. stevezzzz

stevezzzz R;SigS;P85D;SigX

#7 stevezzzz, Mar 27, 2013
    As long as it's not delamination of the glass layers, you just have to ask yourself one simple question. Which will bug you more: looking at the hood every day and knowing it's not right, or thinking about the $$ it cost you to fix it so it doesn't bug you every day?

BTW, given that it's so obviously a manufacturing defect, I am not quite as ready as the others here to say there's no way Tesla could be expected to cover the repair. Did they claim it's not a defect, or was it just a matter of you're not having brought it to their attention within the warranty period? I get the slippery slope argument (and I agree with it) but this isn't a broken suspension part or some other wear item.

8. Pantera Dude

Pantera Dude Member

#8 Pantera Dude, Mar 27, 2013
    BTW, given that it's so obviously a manufacturing defect, I am not quite as ready as the others here to say there's no way Tesla could be expected to cover the repair. Did they claim it's not a defect, or was it just a matter of you're not having brought it to their attention within the warranty period? I get the slippery slope argument (and I agree with it) but this isn't a broken suspension part or some other wear item.[/QUOTE]

They are in agreement that the part is defective, their argument is that it is out of warranty. I do get the impression that had I got it in on time, they would not have fixed it since I am not the original owner? They may have been more willing to work with me after the warranty ended if I was the original owner?

9. Zythryn

Zythryn MS 70D, MX 90D

Got it, thanks for clarifying.
    Steve, I would agree it is an error, but again, if I bring a warrantee issue to a manufacturer's attention after the warrantee time or mileage has lapsed, I would not expect warrantee service.
    I do feel for the OP and know this wont help now, but anytime I have a warrantee coming close to expiration, I bring the car in to have it checked out. That can prevent a lot of 'if only' second guesses.

10. Pantera Dude

Pantera Dude Member

I understand the "slippery slope" issue of fixing a car that is out of warranty. I just thought that this could have been handled differently since the part didn't break or wear out. The part didn't go bad after the warranty ended. It just never should have left the factory looking that way.

11. Lloyd

Lloyd Active Member

#11 Lloyd, Mar 27, 2013
    How do they know that the hood was not repainted and improperly prepped? How do you know other than the word of the previous owner. I've done a lot of paint, and it looks to me like the glass was over prepped, and not glazed properly before painting if that helps.

12. wstuff

wstuff Junior Member

I think a little background is needed, people are saying this is definitly a manufacturing defect, this car is on the second owner, maybe the original owner had an issue that had to be repaired and was done so by a local shop a buddy or whatever, we really don't know it came out of the factory that way, do we, maybe that is Tesla's position. I would think if it was received that way with deflection ridges in it, I would be the first onr to hold onto my 100K +++ until it was fixed, just not enough info.
    I just don't have enough info on how the roadster is factory painted and assembled, the fenders look great while the hood is horrible, that's a big RED FLAG for me.

13. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

Bummer. Art, my list of unfortunate confluences is huge. C'est la vie.

14. Pantera Dude

Pantera Dude Member

The previous owner says that the car has never been touched by anyone but Tesla, I believe him. I see no evidence of accident damage to the car, nor did the professional that I had do the inspection. I'm not sure, but I suspect that Tesla now believes that the car has not been wrecked, (which they had suggested). Consequently, I offered to pay them to inspect the car for previous damage. I made the offer in order to clear up the possible accident issue. After I made the offer is when I got the formal email stating their position. The previous owner was obviously not a neat freak. When the car rolled off the truck at my house, the interior was dirty and had trash in it. The owner stated to Tesla that the car was in, "Perfect", condition when it left his house. I just don't think he had a very critical eye.

- - - Updated - - -

I should have stated that they are in agreement that something is wrong with the part.

15. Pantera Dude

Pantera Dude Member

Does anyone know if I can edit the title of this thread? I obviously misspelled it. DOH!

16. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

#16 bonnie, Mar 27, 2013
    Nope, you can't. I can't, because I don't have mod privileges in this part of the forum. Calling TEG!

[TEGnote: Doug_G got it first... Thanks, Doug_G]

17. qwk

qwk Model S P2681

#17 qwk, Mar 27, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2013
    So the professional that did the inspection didn't catch this? Some professional...

Like it or not, what I see here is someone(you) on a fishing expedition to get something for nothing. You bought this car used, it's out of warranty. This thread is simply wrong.

18. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Fixed.

19. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

I meant, 'Calling Doug_G!'.

20. Pantera Dude

Pantera Dude Member

Thanks Doug and Bonnie for the title repair. Now I don't look like quite the doofus that I did. :biggrin:

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks to all of you that responded to this thread. The consensus is not what I thought it would be but it does help to put the issue behind me and move on. I guess I won't be burning the car in protest after all. :biggrin: