Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

warranty/maintenance speculation/3G

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't have any numbers. I made those up. I am just being liberal in the sense that that's about how much the cell phone service costs and about how much the internet component of my home internet costs.

The rep in the store said the annual service would take about 3-4 hours and involved removing the battery, testing it, greasing up the ball bearings in the motor, and putting it back together. I'm ball parking the cost.

I think this will be a sticking point for many: how much is this going to cost and if battery warranty is contingent upon going through a company-sponsored annual maintenance. What better way that to deny a warranty claim other than to say "This could have been prevented if you had come in for your annual battery checkup." (True or not...)

Data service for my iPad3 (Verizon 4G LTE) is $20/mo.

It's just odd that the sale rep would suggest otherwise. He said something about the fact that the battery was bolted onto the frame rather than welded on so that it could be more easily removed.

The battery in the Model S is supposed to be able to be changed in under five minutes (I've also heard one minute). However, that's just for replacement, not for testing. In the very early days there was some supposition that on a trip you could swap out batteries rather than wait for a charge. This doesn't appear to be in any current plan though.

It's just odd that the sale rep would suggest otherwise. He said something about the fact that the battery was bolted onto the frame rather than welded on so that it could be more easily removed.

I wish there were more fine print out there to read, but I guess that will be the benefit of being #9000+ on the list: I get to learn from 9000 others!

Maybe it was a simple misunderstanding or the sales person was new and misinformed. They were right that the battery pack is bolted on and easy for them to remove (at the service center) if they need to. It would allow (in theory) battery swap stations but Tesla has no plans for that. They are building out the Supercharger network instead. The bolted on battery pack simply allows Tesla to remove the battery pack easily during service if they need to. It also may allow for battery upgrades in the future if Tesla supports or offers that.

Maybe it was a simple misunderstanding or the sales person was new and misinformed. They were right that the battery pack is bolted on and easy for them to remove (at the service center) if they need to. ...
The Roadster battery is incredibly difficult to remove/replace. They did not want to repeat that pain. So in that way it is "easy" to repace the Model S battery. Something like 30 bolts and many umbilicals.

To be fair the Roadster started as a Lotus, so they did the best they could. (probably)

And to be message fair, Tesla did tease the battery swap option for a while but we have not heard it an a long time so it's gone away by attrition.,

Any idea on battery replacement costs? What has it been for the Roadster?

Not sure if anyone really knows since the Model S isn't out yet and there hasn't been one that has had an out of warranty claim of course. Tesla doesn't release their battery costs as far as I know but it won't be cheap to replace. The warranty is for 8 years though.

The 'bricking' story about the Roadsters said Tesla was asking $40,000 to replace the battery but that battery is probably more labor intensive to build for Tesla.

... the way my car specs out:

60 kWh: 59900 + 7500 = $67400
Paint $0
19" wheels: $0
Nappa Leather: $1500
Tech: $3750
Air suspension: $1500
Rear seats: $1500
Total: $75,650
Tax: $7,565
Grand total: $83,215

Now, I'll eventually get the $7500 tax credit, and Illinois reportedly has a $4000 credit depending on funds. So, this might knock $11500 off the price, which will bring it down to $71,715. However, the state of Illinois is corrupt and broke, so I'm not counting on the $4000.

Hi, I may be wrong but this is how I would calculate your total - I am also getting a 60kWh.

60 kWh: $59900
Paint $0
Total: $68,150
Tax: $4,259 (6.25% state tax ?)
Grand total: $72,409
$72409 - $7500 tax credit = $64909
If my numbers are accurate and the state $4000 credit kicks in, you may be looking at ~ $60909.

Hi, I may be wrong but this is how I would calculate your total - I am also getting a 60kWh.

60 kWh: $59900
Paint $0
Total: $68,150
Tax: $4,259 (6.25% state tax ?)
Grand total: $72,409
$72409 - $7500 tax credit = $64909
If my numbers are accurate and the state $4000 credit kicks in, you may be looking at ~ $60909.

Your initial figure of $59900 already includes the $7500 federal tax credit, so in order to calculate what you owe Tesla, you must add that back in. His figures are accurate.

Your initial figure of $59900 already includes the $7500 federal tax credit, so in order to calculate what you owe Tesla, you must add that back in. His figures are accurate.

Plus, where I live, sales tax is around 10.25%; however, if I take delivery outside of Cook County (say, Dekalb) I might be able to get it with a 6.25% rate. I don't know how that is going to pan out. The rep said arrangements can be made, but I've never purchased a car in Illinois and I cannot recall what transpired in Maryland where I bought my last car.

Last edited:
Just to chime in ...

It's a MAJOR disappointment that they didnt plan for a 4G release on the Model S. Especially since 4G has been around for more than 2 years now.

When I was at the factory and got to chat with the tech folks .. I mentioned this and at least suggested that they make the unit modular to allow for upgrades as technology improves (3G to 4G to LTE to ???)