Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Warranty on 20” Good Year tires

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,

What is the mileage warranty for the OEM 20” Good Year tires? I’m currently at 7/32nds with 8,500mi on the tires and it’s concerning because I’m not sure these will make it to even 20k mi. Can’t say I drive this car any different than any of my other cars, but the rate at which these tires are wearing is fastest in all my years driving.

I had them rotated at around 6k mi and they’ve been inflated at 40psi (cold) all along.

Had anyone had any experience with pre-mature wear and warranty claims through Tesla?

All warranty issues with the tires would be with Goodyear. You can take the Tesla to a Goodyear tire center to have the tires checked. In truth, the Tesla Model Y is a heavy vehicle, rear wheel biased. It is not unusual to need new tires, especially rear tires, by 20k miles even with regular tire rotation. The recommended tire pressure is 42 PSI Front/Rear not 40 PSI.

About the rotating, did you rotated front to rear on each side or did you also crossed left to right?

Did you noticed any particular worn out pattern, like edges or center area?

Anyway, I would recommend to check the alignment.

I checked my brand new car's alignment to have the factory setting as reference, and all the angles were in range
excepts the toe angles. I think this was a good prevention as excessive toe-in or toe-out causes the tires to scrub.

Last edited:
All warranty issues with the tires would be with Goodyear. You can take the Tesla to a Goodyear tire center to have the tires checked. In truth, the Tesla Model Y is a heavy vehicle, rear wheel biased. It is not unusual to need new tires, especially rear tires, by 20k miles even with regular tire rotation. The recommended tire pressure is 42 PSI Front/Rear not 40 PSI.

About the rotating, did you rotated front to rear on each side or did you also crossed left to right?

Did you noticed any particular worn out pattern, like edges or center area?

Anyway, I would recommend to check the alignment.

I checked my brand new car's alignment to have the factory setting as reference, and all the angles were in range
excepts the toe angles. I think this was a good prevention as excessive toe-in or toe-out causes the tires to scrub.

Thank you for the info.

Regarding the alignment, tires are wearing very evenly, neither the shoulders nor center is more worn. Rotation was done with Tesla store, so what ever they do there. It’s just that these tires are wearing pretty fast - as fast or faster then the Continental DWS06 tires that were on my 650i when I had it. The uncomfortable part here is that replacing (expensive) tires every 20k kind of negates the premise of “efficient” car. The cars lifetime average is roughly 22mi per $1 of energy which is roughly 3x of regular cars - and looks like I’ll be taking all that savings to the tire store.

Thank you for the info.

Regarding the alignment, tires are wearing very evenly, neither the shoulders nor center is more worn. Rotation was done with Tesla store, so what ever they do there. It’s just that these tires are wearing pretty fast - as fast or faster then the Continental DWS06 tires that were on my 650i when I had it. The uncomfortable part here is that replacing (expensive) tires every 20k kind of negates the premise of “efficient” car. The cars lifetime average is roughly 22mi per $1 of energy which is roughly 3x of regular cars - and looks like I’ll be taking all that savings to the tire store.
Ditch the Goodyear Eagle F1 tires that came with the 20" Induction wheel option when you need to purchase your next set of tires. There are better, less expensive tires options. The Vredestein Quatrac Pro is a good tire choice.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Vredestein&tireModel=Quatrac+Pro&partnum=54YR0QTPXL&vehicleSearch=true&fromCompare1=yes&autoMake=Tesla&autoYear=2021&autoModel=Model Y Long Range&autoModClar=

• Informative
Reactions: Darmie
Ditch the Goodyear Eagle F1 tires that came with the 20" Induction wheel option when you need to purchase your next set of tires. There are better, less expensive tires options. The Vredestein Quatrac Pro is a good tire choice.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Vredestein&tireModel=Quatrac+Pro&partnum=54YR0QTPXL&vehicleSearch=true&fromCompare1=yes&autoMake=Tesla&autoYear=2021&autoModel=Model Y Long Range&autoModClar=
Thanks for the suggestion. My heart is set on Michelin A/S 4, per the reviews…unless I can get a no cost replacement via warranty (probably highly unlikely).

Thanks this is what I need to hear. Yes, I have 43,000 miles on the car but the rear is on the 3rd set. First I changed out the original and two of the comp 4S on the rear. . I had originals replaced a while back and a few months ago I needed a repair on a rear tire. the Kid comes out with the gauge and well, they needed to be replaced again. This time I warrantied through Discount. Interesting enough, manager mention Michelin will not warranty tires that are on a 4wd vehicle. I called BS and short story, they pro rated the rear. Problem is I'll need tires again at some point and these Comp 4S are expensive.