Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Warranty on 'goodwill' service?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Long story short, I had some issues with the brake pads/rotors on my Model S. Now I do know that the brake pads/rotors are wear and tear item so they aren't covered under vehicle warranty unless the initial supplied parts were defective.

In my case, it was exactly that, the brake rotors were warped with less than 5k miles on them. The service center inspected and replaced all four under 'goodwill' service. This was completed less than 6 months ago. Now after about 2k miles on them, the vibration is back. I'm not sure if they are warped again or need bedding (which was never completed).

I reached out to the service center and they stated even though the parts were replaced under 'goodwill' they aren't covered the under parts warranty (12 month period). I don't use brakes that much anyways or track my car so it's definitely not my driving or hard braking.

How do I proceed with this? Thanks!

But Tesla will repair even the warranty items as 'good will' instead of warranty repair or similar. Is this a some type of loop hole to limit their responsibility?
Sure could be.

Although in the case of things covered under the warranty it’s pretty inconsequential. The end result is the same either way (warranty repairs don’t come with their own parts warranty either).

I'm confused, most repair shops will warranty their fixes for X days. Now obviously, it's been 2000 miles but rotors don't just bend for no reason. They should be telling you why that happened.

Regardless of goodwill or not, the repair shop did the repair they SHOULD warranty their repairs for some period. Argument that its goodwill so no warranty makes no sense. So I get tires replaced in goodwill, drive it off the lot and they fall off? what I'm SOL because "hey you got it for free?"

I'm confused, most repair shops will warranty their fixes for X days. Now obviously, it's been 2000 miles but rotors don't just bend for no reason. They should be telling you why that happened.

Regardless of goodwill or not, the repair shop did the repair they SHOULD warranty their repairs for some period. Argument that its goodwill so no warranty makes no sense. So I get tires replaced in goodwill, drive it off the lot and they fall off? what I'm SOL because "hey you got it for free?"
Exactly my thoughts as well. But it seems like Tesla likes to use 'goodwill' to limit their responsibilities after the repair has been done.

Rotors don't warp. It's a myth. You just need to bed and clean the pads by completing a series of hard braking. Oops, there goes your safety score!
Could it be because of my powder coated wheels? I've Model X (20 inch) wheels that are powder coated in matte/satin black. Maybe that's causing the pads to be dirty?

Nah, you do it while in service mode using the brake burnishing function. (Miles driven in service mode aren't supposed to impact the safety score.)
How do you access this function? I've seen service center tech place the car in service mode by entering access code 'service' on the screen.

So here's an update regarding the warped rotors. I will be picking up the vehicle later this afternoon.

To me their justification sounds like BS but perhaps the informed folks on here can correct me. Can powder coated wheels cause such issue?

'Test drove vehicle. Performed further inspection. Identified particle build up on the mating surface
between the wheel hub and wheel. Identified cause is from the powder coat on the wheels. Advised customer replacement is not needed, however because of the powder coat, the brake pads and rotors can potentially re-warp. Performed brake burnish.'

So here's an update regarding the warped rotors. I will be picking up the vehicle later this afternoon.

To me their justification sounds like BS but perhaps the informed folks on here can correct me. Can powder coated wheels cause such issue?

'Test drove vehicle. Performed further inspection. Identified particle build up on the mating surface
between the wheel hub and wheel. Identified cause is from the powder coat on the wheels. Advised customer replacement is not needed, however because of the powder coat, the brake pads and rotors can potentially re-warp. Performed brake burnish.'
The mating surface needs to be completely flat. Whoever powder coated your wheels screwed up.

Reactions: MP3Mike
Yes, if the powder coating is uneven on the mating surface. Even being too thick can prevent heat dissipation to the wheels.
The mating surface needs to be completely flat. Whoever powder coated your wheels screwed up.
Got it, thanks for the info!

So what's the safest approach to this without causing any more damage or possible warping to the rotors? Just grind the mounting surface on the wheels?