Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Warranty on HPWC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This may not be the right place for this thread but here goes.... I have two Gen 2 HPWC in my garage and one failed about 5 weeks ago. I contacted Tesla's powerwall / charger folks and they advised me to send some pictures of the unit not powering up. about 3 weeks later, they responded to a followup email and asked for pictures of my holding a volt meter showing the unit had proper power.

I wrote them again about a week ago asking about this and the lady said it was in the hands of the warranty division. What the heck? I wouldn't be so flustered if it wasn't something we needed to drive the car. For over a month now we've had to move the charging cable from one car to the other because we don't have a 14-50 socket in the garage.

Anyone have any idea? heck if the GEN 3 would current share with the GEN 2, that would be ok. I see the Gen 3 has rs485 connectors in it's mounting base.

Maybe they are having problems procuring some of the older GEN 2 units for use as warranty refurbs?

This may not be the right place for this thread but here goes.... I have two Gen 2 HPWC in my garage and one failed about 5 weeks ago. I contacted Tesla's powerwall / charger folks and they advised me to send some pictures of the unit not powering up. about 3 weeks later, they responded to a followup email and asked for pictures of my holding a volt meter showing the unit had proper power.

I wrote them again about a week ago asking about this and the lady said it was in the hands of the warranty division. What the heck? I wouldn't be so flustered if it wasn't something we needed to drive the car. For over a month now we've had to move the charging cable from one car to the other because we don't have a 14-50 socket in the garage.

Anyone have any idea? heck if the GEN 3 would current share with the GEN 2, that would be ok. I see the Gen 3 has rs485 connectors in it's mounting base.

Maybe they are having problems procuring some of the older GEN 2 units for use as warranty refurbs?

Maybe. Maybe they will replace you with a gen 3 after the whole process goes through. They are pretty slow with warranties it seems like. It took them a few months to replace my wall connector with a good one. However I think my problem was with certain batches of wall connector and even if they instantly sent me a replacement, it would have been bad also. Also good thing mine still charged, just slowly.

Reactions: ai4px
Gen 2 and Gen 3 units cannot share circuits. You will need Gen 2's to current share a single circuit. Even if you replace both with 2 gen 3's, they both need individual circuits/breakers at the panel (as opposed to the gen 2 which could take a single 100A breaker). Gen 3's can limit total amperage use through wireless communication. ...well at least that was the plan. The Gen 3 didn't support that in the first firmware but may by now.

Reactions: ai4px
Maybe. Maybe they will replace you with a gen 3 after the whole process goes through. They are pretty slow with warranties it seems like. It took them a few months to replace my wall connector with a good one. However I think my problem was with certain batches of wall connector and even if they instantly sent me a replacement, it would have been bad also. Also good thing mine still charged, just slowly.

When they replaced yours, did you have to send your bad unit back? I just called in a warranty on mine because the casing on one of the pins in the handle broke. They sent me a return tag to send my current unit back, but I'm thinking about getting a 2nd Tesla, so a 2nd HPWC wouldn't be a bad thing, if I can find a replacement cable/handle.

When they replaced yours, did you have to send your bad unit back? I just called in a warranty on mine because the casing on one of the pins in the handle broke. They sent me a return tag to send my current unit back, but I'm thinking about getting a 2nd Tesla, so a 2nd HPWC wouldn't be a bad thing, if I can find a replacement cable/handle.

Yes, I assume so because they made be a return label.