Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Warranty question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Reading the purchase agreement, the warranty information is not very clear to me. Can some of you confirms it ?

Looks to me, the warranty is 20 years.
But solar panel has 12 years product warranty, and 25 years performance warranty. (That is from the QCell)
Inverter has 12 years warranty, and optimizer has 25 years warranty. (From SolarEdge in my case)
Roof has 10 years leak warranty.

Tesla told me the hardware warranty is directly from manufacture, they will claim on our behalf.
Let's say in after 12 years and before 20 years, either the solar panel or inverter will be out of warranty from the manufacture. We will be responsible to pay for the hardware cost. But the labor to repair, should be provided by "the installer" for 20 years.

If you read it further, I saw two more section about the warranty on panel and inverter.

For panel, ".....perform any related labor at our cost." It means Tesla will cover the labor.
For inverter "If you need to replace your inverter after this warranty expires, please contact us and we will help you obtain and install a replacement, both at your cost."

It means, we will pay for new inverter hardware, and labor to re-install. That's contradict the "system repairs" 20 years term.

In SolarEdge case, you can extended the warranty from manufacture, it that case, warranty will not expired until 25 years. It means, Tesla will cover the labor to repair.

To me, it sound like a good deal, extended the hardware warranty will cover the labor as well.

Also some of you always saying 25 years warranty, I really don't think after 20 years, you will get anything from Tesla. That's just me. Because labor cost is the biggest part of repair, also Tesla will not help you after 20 years.

Let me know what you guys think, may be I don't understand the contract very well.

I cut out section from my purchase agreement.
>>>>> BEGIN <<<<<
System Maintenance & Repairs

System maintenance IS included for 20 years from the Installer.

“System repairs” refers to actions needed to fix your System if it is malfunctioning. System repairs ARE provided by the Installer.
If System repairs ARE included, the coverage periods for each hardware component of your System (in years) are: Solar Panels: at least 12 years

Inverter: at least 10 years
Please check the Manufacturer’s warranty for the coverage period of other hardware components.

If System repairs ARE included, the coverage periods for the labor/workmanship for each component of your System (in years) are: 20 years
Please review your Contract for additional information about any warranties on the System installation and equipment. Note that equipment warranties for hardware are not required to include labor/workmanship. Your Provider may assign or subcontract any of its rights or obligations under this Agreement to any affiliate, successor, partner or purchaser. If such a transfer occurs, you will be notified if this will change the address or phone number to use for system maintenance or repair requests.

Roof Warranty

Your roof IS warranted against leaks from the system installation for the first 10 years by the Provider.

Solar panels

Your solar panels are covered by a warranty from their manufacturer. This warranty will be at least 12 years for workmanship and will guarantee at least 80% of nameplate power capacity for at least 25 years. This warranty will be transferred to you automatically when you pay the Contract Price. At your request we will make any claim under this warranty on your behalf and perform any related labor at our cost.

Inverter

Your inverter is covered by a warranty from its manufacturer. This warranty will cover defects for at least 10 years, and will be transferred to you automatically when you pay the Contract Price. At your request we will make any claim under this warranty on your behalf and perform any related labor at our cost. If you need to replace your inverter after this warranty expires, please contact us and we will help you obtain and install a replacement, both at your cost.

>>>>> End <<<<<<<