Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Warranty question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone have any experience towing with a Model 3 Performance? Does adding a hitch void warranty? I would like to tow a 20lb tongue-weight trailer. I talked to a few people at Tesla, one said it would, and another said it would not.

Does anyone have any experience towing with a Model 3 Performance? Does adding a hitch void warranty? I would like to tow a 20lb tongue-weight trailer. I talked to a few people at Tesla, one said it would, and another said it would not.

In theory, if the add-ons don't affect an unrelated issue, then Tesla should honor the rest of the warranty. For example, if I tap the Tesla 12V battery for Texas blackout, the maximum Tesla can void the warranty is the 12V battery itself, not the failed drive unit, not the failed heat pump, not the Self-Driving Computer...

In reality, it's "Like whole-car-warranty voiding."

You'll be lucky if Tesla only voids the whole car warranty.

Others beg to pay, but Tesla wouldn't touch it if you have a problem unrelated to the aftermarket add-ons (LiOn 12v battery, electric frunk/trunk).

So to answer your question: Lots of people do have add-ons, and they are fine. However, you are warned of the risk, so don't cry when you are being singled out!

In theory, if the add-ons don't affect an unrelated issue, then Tesla should honor the rest of the warranty. For example, if I tap the Tesla 12V battery for Texas blackout, the maximum Tesla can void the warranty is the 12V battery itself, not the failed drive unit, not the failed heat pump, not the Self-Driving Computer...

In reality, it's "Like whole-car-warranty voiding."

You'll be lucky if Tesla only voids the whole car warranty.

Others beg to pay, but Tesla wouldn't touch it if you have a problem unrelated to the aftermarket add-ons (LiOn 12v battery, electric frunk/trunk).

So to answer your question: Lots of people do have add-ons, and they are fine. However, you are warned of the risk, so don't cry when you are being singled out!
That's not quite correct, the section pointed out only says it does not cover damage from using the car that way, it does not say it voids the warranty for the whole car in general.

The example given, Tesla refused to cover the 12V battery under warranty, which is completely fair. However, there is no indication they refused to cover other parts of the car.

Basically if anything that breaks can be tied directly or indirectly to the hitch, expect Tesla to refuse to cover it.

Even though it doesnt go into great detail and/or cover the OPs question - the latest 4.12/4.13 iOS and Android apps have a nifty car-specific warranty summary if you scroll down below all the typical app bells & whistles (south of the ODO reading and software installed section).

Basically if anything that breaks can be tied directly or indirectly to the hitch, expect Tesla to refuse to cover it.

See also the Mangunson Moss act.

Federal law- there's no such thing as "voiding your whole warranty" other than for cars that are declared a total loss/salvage titled.

But they can refuse to cover anything they can blame on you making a modification or using a 3rd party part to do.