Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

warranty repair

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i am a currently a used 2016 tesla model S owner, purchased from Tesla 2019 June, car drives great until few days ago when the dash board showed "Vehicle may not restart Service is Required". I called tesla for pick up cause car is not drivable, Tesla didn't get back to me until 5 days after i inquire about the car. I was told that there was extensive damage under the car that will cost me $18000 for repair and said i must have ran over something on the freeway that caused extensive damage and there is water in the battery, henceforth i should notify my insurance for a claim since Tesla warranty does not cover the repair. i told them i never ran over anything on the freeway since i have been driving the car. i am at crossroad as to what to do, need guidance pls

Get pictures and details of the damage. Evaluate and determine if it legitimately looks like something struck the bottom of car. Unfortunately unless you can determine there is no recent damage, it will be very hard to prove that something was wrong with the car when you purchased from Tesla, given time that has passed. So your only hope is to find no substantial damage that would explain water intrusion into the battery. Not sure if insurance can help, but will likely depend on type of damage and what you may have hit.

Reactions: MP3Mike
Upvote 0
Why is this an issue?
You ostensibly have insurance, right?
There is five-figure damage to the bottom of your car. You or someone driving your car ran over some serious debris and caused this major damage, and it is highly unlikely it was there when you purchased the car.
This is why you have insurance....

• Disagree
Reactions: AMPd
Upvote 0
Interesting that this is the third case of something similar being reported recently that I have seen. Others are $22k HV Battery Damage Not Covered. Help! and Battery Replacement Nightmare. Would like input!
My is a 2015MS 85kwh and recently i have had a battery failure. Car drained all the way to 0% and with in the 12v battery. Car wont charge etc etc. Towed the car to Tesla and luckily in my final year of battery warranty So they have approved a full HV pack replacement. But scared me becuase had this been 1 year later, I’d be up *sugar* creek!

Upvote 0
My is a 2015MS 85kwh and recently i have had a battery failure. Car drained all the way to 0% and with in the 12v battery. Car wont charge etc etc. Towed the car to Tesla and luckily in my final year of battery warranty So they have approved a full HV pack replacement. But scared me becuase had this been 1 year later, I’d be up *sugar* creek!

you should have an eight year battery warranty. Eight years from 2015 is 2023. The exact date depends on the delivery date. So you have some time to go…

Upvote 0
you should have an eight year battery warranty. Eight years from 2015 is 2023. The exact date depends on the delivery date. So you have some time to go…
Sorry, I meant to say 2014 MS. My warranty is up next June. Tesla said they’re waiting for a remanufactured HV pack to arrive to the U.K.

I think I need to make a decision weather to keep the car out of warranty with the risk of high cost batter failures or sell it and save up for an upgrade!

Upvote 0