TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Warranty repairs - process and results

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Xylarr, Oct 8, 2019.

1. Xylarr

Xylarr Member

I called Tesla today to follow up on what was happening with the defects I identified at delivery. I have some trim issues mostly - missfitting chrome trim and rear bumper, bonnet not the same on both sides.

They said to search their site for approved body works and arrange it myself. I found a reference on their FAQ page which outlines the process.

Body Shop Support

I've talked to Exclusive Body Werks to have them look at the car and then we'll take it from there. They look like a top shop given they have many Porsches and McLarens parked onsite in various states of repair.

Has anyone had any work done under warranty? While I'm not really concerned that the work will be done and of good quality, I am concerned that the process will be slowed down by the evident disorganisation in Tesla's back office. I hope Tesla pay Exclusive directly and I don't have to fork out and then extract a refund from Tesla.

Maybe my expectations are low and I will be surprised.

Interested in other people's experiences.

Edit: spelling

• Informative x 1
  2. m4rtin

m4rtin Member

I’m confused with this. Were Tesla planning to contact you (and many others here) to follow up on the issues identified at delivery?
    If the process you have been informed of is the prescribed one then why was this not mentioned at delivery?

3. Brissienew

Brissienew Member

4. Xylarr

Xylarr Member

Precicely. I was waiting for them to contact me back regarding all this, but after nearly two weeks, I thought I'd give them a prod. When I asked them about this they said it was a new process - who knows.

5. m4rtin

m4rtin Member

It's almost like they're hoping customers forget about the recorded issues.

For me I created a service request in the app and added some new items, and then reference that there were additional outstanding items from the delivery appointment. At this point I just have that distant appointment, and no other comms have occurred.

6. Petergarrett38

my experience with roadside assistance has been really great. I returned home from 2 weeks overseas and discovered a flat tyre. expecting that I would need to get it to a tyre shop myself by either filling up the tyre with an air compressor or getting a tow. Only then to fork out for a new tyre. I contacted Tesla to find out how to jack the car up properly etc. They sent a bloke out and within an hour or so he had a loaner wheel on the car and I drove off to the closest tyre shop to get the puncture repaired. I watched him take the wheel off and asked where the jacking point was and it was all pretty straight forward. After YouTubing and searching this forum I thought it was a lot harder than it actually was. No torque wrench or special jack needed. Biggest issue he had was trying to get the air suspension to go into very high. Apparently its easier to get the wheel off when the suspension is on very high, then of course setting to jack mode.
    Loved when he said "these things don't use much petrol do they?"

Attached Files:

• Informative x 1
  7. ShockOnT

ShockOnT ⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️

To be fair, they don't use much petrol :)
    I hope your repairs go well. I don't trust paint repairs, always feel like they never quite match the original. I'd rather have a bit of misalignment.

8. Brissienew

Brissienew Member

That’s my experience as well, especially when it silver colour, when viewed from certain angle the respirated is often obviously different from the original.

9. Petergarrett38

I agree it’s never the same, have you thought about getting it wrapped? Then it’s protected as well and you can choose any colour you like. Someone hit mine with a shopping trolley and instead of a paint repair I will wrap it as it’s probably the same price.