Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Warranty repairs - process and results

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I called Tesla today to follow up on what was happening with the defects I identified at delivery. I have some trim issues mostly - missfitting chrome trim and rear bumper, bonnet not the same on both sides.

They said to search their site for approved body works and arrange it myself. I found a reference on their FAQ page which outlines the process.

Body Shop Support

I've talked to Exclusive Body Werks to have them look at the car and then we'll take it from there. They look like a top shop given they have many Porsches and McLarens parked onsite in various states of repair.

Has anyone had any work done under warranty? While I'm not really concerned that the work will be done and of good quality, I am concerned that the process will be slowed down by the evident disorganisation in Tesla's back office. I hope Tesla pay Exclusive directly and I don't have to fork out and then extract a refund from Tesla.

Maybe my expectations are low and I will be surprised.

Interested in other people's experiences.

Edit: spelling

• Informative
Reactions: RoHe
I’m confused with this. Were Tesla planning to contact you (and many others here) to follow up on the issues identified at delivery?
If the process you have been informed of is the prescribed one then why was this not mentioned at delivery?

Precicely. I was waiting for them to contact me back regarding all this, but after nearly two weeks, I thought I'd give them a prod. When I asked them about this they said it was a new process - who knows.

It's almost like they're hoping customers forget about the recorded issues.

For me I created a service request in the app and added some new items, and then reference that there were additional outstanding items from the delivery appointment. At this point I just have that distant appointment, and no other comms have occurred.

my experience with roadside assistance has been really great. I returned home from 2 weeks overseas and discovered a flat tyre. expecting that I would need to get it to a tyre shop myself by either filling up the tyre with an air compressor or getting a tow. Only then to fork out for a new tyre. I contacted Tesla to find out how to jack the car up properly etc. They sent a bloke out and within an hour or so he had a loaner wheel on the car and I drove off to the closest tyre shop to get the puncture repaired. I watched him take the wheel off and asked where the jacking point was and it was all pretty straight forward. After YouTubing and searching this forum I thought it was a lot harder than it actually was. No torque wrench or special jack needed. Biggest issue he had was trying to get the air suspension to go into very high. Apparently its easier to get the wheel off when the suspension is on very high, then of course setting to jack mode.
Loved when he said "these things don't use much petrol do they?"

Attachments

• IMG_0652.jpg
    IMG_0652.jpg
    449.7 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_0655.jpg
    IMG_0655.jpg
    667.2 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_0656.jpg
    IMG_0656.jpg
    386.6 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_0657.jpg
    IMG_0657.jpg
    400.8 KB · Views: 39
  • Informative
Reactions: Hairyman
my experience with roadside assistance has been really great. I returned home from 2 weeks overseas and discovered a flat tyre. expecting that I would need to get it to a tyre shop myself by either filling up the tyre with an air compressor or getting a tow. Only then to fork out for a new tyre. I contacted Tesla to find out how to jack the car up properly etc. They sent a bloke out and within an hour or so he had a loaner wheel on the car and I drove off to the closest tyre shop to get the puncture repaired. I watched him take the wheel off and asked where the jacking point was and it was all pretty straight forward. After YouTubing and searching this forum I thought it was a lot harder than it actually was. No torque wrench or special jack needed. Biggest issue he had was trying to get the air suspension to go into very high. Apparently its easier to get the wheel off when the suspension is on very high, then of course setting to jack mode.
Loved when he said "these things don't use much petrol do they?"
To be fair, they don't use much petrol :)
I hope your repairs go well. I don't trust paint repairs, always feel like they never quite match the original. I'd rather have a bit of misalignment.

I thought I'd update.
I dropped off the Model 3 at Exclusive Body Werks in Clyde (Sydney) first thing Monday morning. I'd booked it in about 2 weeks ago.
We walked around the car and he stuck masking tape next to each defect as I pointed them out.
I asked about some other slight alignment issues I'd noticed on the boot hinges. He mentioned that it is likely Tesla will knock that back - he was right - and I'm not really concerned.
But everything else, the miss-applied chrome trim, bent fender piece, dried clear coat drips, and misaligned bonnet were all done perfectly.
It was all just drop off, Monday, got a call Tuesday saying it was ready, picked up first thing Wednesday. They handled all the communication with Tesla.
As for Tesla, not a peep - ugh.
Anyway, in the end, once you understand the process, it all gets fixed at no cost to you, so can't complain.

I thought I'd update.
I dropped off the Model 3 at Exclusive Body Werks in Clyde (Sydney) first thing Monday morning. I'd booked it in about 2 weeks ago.
We walked around the car and he stuck masking tape next to each defect as I pointed them out.
I asked about some other slight alignment issues I'd noticed on the boot hinges. He mentioned that it is likely Tesla will knock that back - he was right - and I'm not really concerned.
But everything else, the miss-applied chrome trim, bent fender piece, dried clear coat drips, and misaligned bonnet were all done perfectly.
It was all just drop off, Monday, got a call Tuesday saying it was ready, picked up first thing Wednesday. They handled all the communication with Tesla.
As for Tesla, not a peep - ugh.
Anyway, in the end, once you understand the process, it all gets fixed at no cost to you, so can't complain.

Did they just buff scratches or was there any spraying involved? I’m wondering when small defects get a discrete fix rather than a panel respray (which might then mismatch).
I think mine is there at the moment and I’m anxious it’ll come back better than it went in. I’m kind of trusting the system at this point.
Mine was moved there directly after taking it in to St Leonard’s for my service appointment.

I had a rear ender repaired by Exclusive a couple of years ago- an insurance job.
I was impressed with the work and the way they co-ordinated the work with Tesla.
Not impressed with the price but it was an insurance job and no real skin off my nose.

I called Tesla today to follow up on what was happening with the defects I identified at delivery. I have some trim issues mostly - missfitting chrome trim and rear bumper, bonnet not the same on both sides.

They said to search their site for approved body works and arrange it myself. I found a reference on their FAQ page which outlines the process.

Body Shop Support

I've talked to Exclusive Body Werks to have them look at the car and then we'll take it from there. They look like a top shop given they have many Porsches and McLarens parked onsite in various states of repair.

Has anyone had any work done under warranty? While I'm not really concerned that the work will be done and of good quality, I am concerned that the process will be slowed down by the evident disorganisation in Tesla's back office. I hope Tesla pay Exclusive directly and I don't have to fork out and then extract a refund from Tesla.

Maybe my expectations are low and I will be surprised.

Interested in other people's experiences.

Edit: spelling
ear ender

I got mine back today and everything is sorted. I'm impressed.
Tesla moved it to Exclusive and back to St Leonard's, everything done and no dramas.
Would have been great to receive it like this originally but here we are. :cool:

I got mine back today and everything is sorted. I'm impressed.
Tesla moved it to Exclusive and back to St Leonard's, everything done and no dramas.
Would have been great to receive it like this originally but here we are. :cool:

As I’m planning to now get ceramic coating done the question came up around what was done to the paintwork to know if there needs to be a waiting period. So I contacted Exclusive directly who checked and kindly got back to me.

“I have spoken to - he advised you can go ahead with the ceramic protection at anytime as we inferred dry paint.

Kind Regards
Exclusive Body Werks”