TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Warranty/Servicing - official Tesla responses (incl GeorgeB)

Discussion in 'Model S' started by brianman, Sep 13, 2012.

1. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

Recently there's been much drama regarding Warranty/Servicing.

Starting a new thread hoping we can consolidate official responses from Tesla in one place and keep the drama/commentary in separate threads. Perhaps the mods can help.

I'll add some of my mail thread with Walter momentarily.

- - - Updated - - -

2012/09/12 - 2012/09/13

2. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

Thanks for looking into this. Little disappointed about lack of warp drive but looks like they are listening. :smile:

3. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

Thanks for reaching out to Tesla, Brianman, and getting facts. (I am also disappointed over the lack of warp drive, but perhaps that will be offered by Model X launch. Hoping ...)

4. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

Screw the warp drive, stickers add like 30HP each

5. Zextraterrestrial

depends on your sticker choice :wink:

6. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

Love Tesla sense of humor! :biggrin:

7. Orthonos

Orthonos Member

They didn't nix installation of a hyperspace drive. There is always hope, so long as no one from Cloud City Mechanics works on it.

8. Zextraterrestrial

I need to do an upgrade that gives my S teletransportation capabilities so my wife doesn't get carsick. I know it wont be supported by Tesla but I hope it wont void the warranty

9. onlinespending

We may not have drama. But we certainly have comedy in this thread. Always a tease when you check the thread for new info and only find a new lame teleportation joke or the like :tongue:

10. ElSupreme

ElSupreme Model S 03182

I don't know guys I am really worried I am going to get bent over a barrel on warranty if I have 'excessive application of bumper stickers'!

:biggrin: :tongue:

if you can't tell i am joking

11. FlasherZ

FlasherZ Sig Model S + Sig Model X + Model 3 Resv

An e-mail I received... Looking forward the blog post... it should make us all feel better I think.

12. chmod a+wrx

chmod a+wrx Member

Nice! ! ! !

From Roadster owners....or those in the know, how much of this service could rangers do? ? ? ?

I would think all of it just about, right? ? ? Otherwise, what to do about owners who live no where near a service center.....

13. setritt

setritt p6652

service fee might be worth it...

notice alignment is included!!! i don't know about everyone else but even in atlanta, there are plenty of potholes and without the lifetime alignment from the tire shop i would be out at least a grand considering how many times i've gotten my wheels aligned.

i'd like to see if that really comes through, especially if i can use the ranger service once-twice a year for a wheel alignment. if that's the case then i think the service cost is absolutely worth it.

14. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

They could do almost everything that didn't require putting the car up on a lift. So outside of replacing the battery and maybe a few other things, they really did quite a lot in the field. You may have seen pictures where the entire front of the car was off and parts all over the place during a service. They once spent 8 hours with almost the entire front of the car in pieces trying to fix the AC before deciding they needed to take it to Chicago for a mini-vacation and discovering it was a faulty circuit board or sensor that measured incoming
    cabin temperature. He was on the phone with Tesla engineers throughout the day trying to diagnose the problem as well. Others have more information but that was my only major service at my house.

Thanks for clarifying that and reaching out to him. Glad they're going to try and address some of the concerns raised here. I have a feeling that while it still may be on the expensive side, people will be happy with the level of service they'll receive from Tesla.

15. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

The Rangers will sometimes use third party garages to do certain things, such as tire replacements, when required. If it's something bigger they can trailer it back to their service center and return it to you later.

I do still think it's a little pricey for people who live near a service center, but the anywhere plan is a great deal for people like me, 400 km from thr nearest location.

16. KBF

KBF Model S 2017

I will DEFINITELY get the "anywhere" plan. I do hope they eventually place service centers in geographically balanced locations rather than just hitting the highest concentration of customers; it's a bit circular otherwise.

17. ddenboer

ddenboer MODEL X #1770

@KBF, would your nearest be Chicago, or would they have to use Toronto or Vancouver?

18. teslasguy

teslasguy MSP P#1117

Key for me is whether they will offer loaners. Being stuck without a car and spending the day in a service center waiting room isn't for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. efusco

efusco Moderator - Model S & X forums

Maybe have those previously leased Roadsters on hand?!

20. Trnsl8r

Trnsl8r Blue 85kwh since 12/8/12

I'll do cartwheels next time a bulb blows out... :D