Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Warranty/Servicing - official Tesla responses (incl GeorgeB)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Reading this really makes me question my reservation. I'm not sure how I feel about the required inspections anyway but their blatant disregard for warranty law has me wondering what else they blatantly disregard. And to claim this is how every car manufacturer does it is completely false.

Reading this really makes me question my reservation. I'm not sure how I feel about the required inspections anyway but their blatant disregard for warranty law has me wondering what else they blatantly disregard. And to claim this is how every car manufacturer does it is completely false.

It's amazing to me that two people can see things SO differently. George's letter makes me want to reserve another S. It's mind boggling to think that there's a car company with this kind of incredible service. How could you not want to sign up immediately after reading that letter?

^^^^ Total opposite of how I felt. I've never seen this kind of commitment or generosity from any other manufacturer that I've bought cars from. (that includes Chevy, Nissan, Toyota, Ford, and Land Rover). I hope all other manufacturers put an emphasis on customer service like Tesla is doing here. What they are saying seems like common sense to me, common courtesy that you *should* see in America but you don't. Everyone else's focus is on nickel and diming the customer so that their pockets can be a bit fuller while their smiling all the way to the bank, leaving the customer feeling screwed. Tesla is actually trying to, and IMHO, successfully laying the foundation for a whole new framework of car ownership experience. I don't understand and can't fathom all the negatively that people have about Tesla. To me it seems those people are just whining and trying to nickel and dime Tesla instead, or they have a hard time accepting that there's more to this world then how big you've made your bank account by screwing others. I actually appreciate their ingenuity, hard work, and everything else their doing for us and I'm ecstatic about getting my Model S and being a part of this revolutionary experience.

The plan as presented by George is exceedingly comprehensive. Annual visits for service to maintain a valid warranty is warranted in a vehicle like this. What I do object to is the fact that they have basically simply added a mandatory option to the car purchase. Instead of charging separately this should ave been included in the price of this very expensive automobile. These are things that irritate me just include it, raise the price $1500 but include it!

Thanks for looking into this. Little disappointed about lack of warp drive but looks like they are listening. :smile:

Well be greatfull, here the fines for speading are based on how much you're too fast. If you'd be caught with warp 1 it would be 1,079,252,729 km/h too fast. you'd probably get the death sentene then. But then. you'd have problems with the next curve anyway ;)

Last edited:
It's AppleCare for your Tesla. Plain and Simple. I have never bought an Apple product (except my iPod shuffle long time ago) without the AppleCare. I have owned nine Apple products, and my kids six. To me, it makes sense. If I didn't have the money, it would be a different story. But if I didn't have the money, I would have bought a Volt.

@Suplimaze1 not quite true. Applecare is an extended/enhanced warranty program. The regular warranty exists and is active without purchasing Applecare. With the Tesla warranty program you are required to purchase the service program to have a valid warranty. I guess you could read it that Tesla has a 1 year 12,500 mile warranty and to extend it beyond that time you will need to buy the service program.

As I stated earlier I would have much preferred the program added to the cost of the initial car. Tesla was so laser focused on under $50k that they stripped this and other necessary items out. I think they should have simply had a base car at under $50k and then had all the other models include the other necessary items. I would feel less nickel and dimed. Yes the total cost would remain the same just my feeling of being mislead. It is sort of like booking a hotel room only to find out that there is a mandatory resort fee.

Thanks for sharing your opinion here. All honest opinions are definitely welcome.
Can you elaborate a little on the specific concerns? More specifically on "disregard for warranty law". We've heard from a few forum members on that topic but is your concern derived from those posts or from your own interpretation of the law.

Thanks for sharing your opinion here. All honest opinions are definitely welcome.

Can you elaborate a little on the specific concerns? More specifically on "disregard for warranty law". We've heard from a few forum members on that topic but is your concern derived from those posts or from your own interpretation of the law.

Does it make sense that they offer a warranty and then charge $600 a year to keep it in force? Does that meet anyone's sniff test for fair? No of course not.

Fine if they can prove that because the car didn't get an inspection, something horrible happened as a direct result - fine.

But to make a warranty null and void for failure to them to get $600 a year for doing very little - that is a violation of Magnuson-Moss act as interpreted by people on this forum and my understanding of it prior to this forum.

My biggest concern is the lack of a court that has a standing should I have an issue. In NC, I would just contact my AG but I am not sure they have standing to get Tesla to do anything....When Honda didn't want to replace my battery, a call/email to the AG and I had a new battery on the way in 2 days. Where do we sue Tesla if we have to? CA? FL? Neither place I want to go for that.

Does it make sense that they offer a warranty and then charge $600 a year to keep it in force? Does that meet anyone's sniff test for fair? No of course not.

Fine if they can prove that because the car didn't get an inspection, something horrible happened as a direct result - fine.

But to make a warranty null and void for failure to them to get $600 a year for doing very little - that is a violation of Magnuson-Moss act as interpreted by people on this forum and my understanding of it prior to this forum.

My biggest concern is the lack of a court that has a standing should I have an issue. In NC, I would just contact my AG but I am not sure they have standing to get Tesla to do anything....When Honda didn't want to replace my battery, a call/email to the AG and I had a new battery on the way in 2 days. Where do we sue Tesla if we have to? CA? FL? Neither place I want to go for that.

Have you read the actual warranty or are you basing your conclusions on forum posts?

This has been discussed (I suggest you actually wade through all 500 posts in this thread). GeorgeB IS NOT A LAWYER. His statements on this board DO NOT trump the ACTUAL WRITTEN WARRANTY that is delivered w/ the car. The actual written warranty is what you and Tesla are bound to, not GeorgeB's statements. The actual written warranty is written like every other car manufacturer's warranty - that periodic maintenance is required and that it must be done by a trained mechanic.

At some point there will be competent 3rd party shops that will be able to do EV maintenance and when that happens you will be free to take your car there and if something break Tesla will have to fix it under warranty. But until then Tesla is your only option.

This has been discussed (I suggest you actually wade through all 500 posts in this thread). GeorgeB IS NOT A LAWYER. His statements on this board DO NOT trump the ACTUAL WRITTEN WARRANTY that is delivered w/ the car. The actual written warranty is what you and Tesla are bound to, not GeorgeB's statements. The actual written warranty is written like every other car manufacturer's warranty - that periodic maintenance is required and that it must be done by a trained mechanic.

This is the key.

What George says in person or on the forums may rationalize the intent of the cost or the relationship, but the contract that you sign contains the stipulations of the agreement between you and Tesla. The contract and warranty does not specifically state what George is specifying. Agree completely with Strider on this issue here.

At some point, someone will know enough about Tesla vehicles to be competent to do servicing as needed. Whether they will have the complete understanding of the electronics and software, who knows. But right now, it's only Tesla.

..... The actual written warranty is written like every other car manufacturer's warranty - that periodic maintenance is required and that it must be done by a trained mechanic.....

Earlier in this thread, it was sounding like I could not even rotate my own tires. This makes a lot more sense.

If I do the periodic maintenance in a competent manner, the warranty is still valid. And even if the maintenance is not even done, the warranty is sill valid for unaffected items. An example would be that a failed PEM would still be replaced under warranty, even if the tires were never rotated.

Presumably Tesla parts, special tools, training, and service info will be available for anyone willing to pay for it.

GSP

Earlier in this thread, it was sounding like I could not even rotate my own tires. This makes a lot more sense.

If I do the periodic maintenance in a competent manner, the warranty is still valid. And even if the maintenance is not even done, the warranty is sill valid for unaffected items. An example would be that a failed PEM would still be replaced under warranty, even if the tires were never rotated.

Presumably Tesla parts, special tools, training, and service info will be available for anyone willing to pay for it.

GSP

I'm sure you can do most of the basic maintenance yourself like rotating tires but certain things like the battery checks and other diagnostic equipment can only be done by Tesla at this point so you basically have no choice.

Exactly. We've discussed this over and over again, but it definitely needs to be pointed out.
I suggest people read the actual warranty before coming to conclusions:
http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/9578-Warranty-(esp-driving-through-floods!)

What GeorgeB is correct about is that right now there is really no practical alternative to the $600 service (simply because there is no third party EV servicing industry), but it's not explicitly required for your warranty to be valid (that would be illegal without an FTC exemption).