Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Warranty vs Goodwill repairs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Last week I had my end of warranty service performed at 47.5K miles and just under three years of ownership. The Service estimate included tire rotation, four wheel alignment, A/C desiccant bag replacement, A/C coolant "recharge" , brake fluid replacement, cabin filter, windshield wipers, and about 2.5 hours of labor. The cost for this was around $850 and was presented to me for approval, which I authorized.

At the same time I asked them to fix the driver side door panel which was popping loose on most every drive causing a squeaking noise until it was manually popped back in. The SA went to the car to look and I showed him that it had popped loose on my drive to the service center. I was told that it was probably just broken clips and they would fix it, but I had to approve a diagnostic fee of $95 to the invoice, but if it was defective they would remove the fee.

Then I asked if they could perform the necessary service for the recent recall notice about the trunk/frunk, and he said they had not yet received any of the parts to fix this yet but they would inspect for the problem. Okay, I have never had any latch problems, so I got the $200 Uber credit and left the car.

The next day I had a notification that the car was finished and they had repaired the door clips but had not removed the $95 diagnostic fee for this. I mentioned that and the SA adjusted the price and took it off, but on the invoice it was listed as a "Goodwill" repair, not as warranty service. This reminded me of the yellow screen issues which hit my car at 12K miles which they originally claimed was normal and not covered under warranty. After complaining and telling them I would take a refund for the 2 year extended warranty I had purchased, they immediately game me a service appointment and fixed it free, but the invoice said "Goodwill" repair and not warranty.

Shortly after yellow screen repair I was notified by Tesla that I was eligible for the HW3 upgrade since I had purchased FSD. I took the car in, got the Uber credit, and was notified later that day that the HW3 upgrade was installed when the car was manufactured (March 2019) so I was good to go and I could pick it up, nothing else required. This time the invoice read "Customer Education" at no cost even though they called me about this and for whatever reason did not realize that HW3 was already installed.

So does Tesla not like to use the word "Warranty" on their invoices? Using the word "Goodwill" puts the onus back on the customer as though it was not covered under warranty but they are nice guys, and "Customer Eduction" implies I should have known even though they initiated the appointment . This gives me a wary feeling as my extended warranty is about to kick in, and I am wondering if they will ever consider anything as a warranty repair, and will they continue to point the finger at me instead of fixing defects?

Last week I had my end of warranty service performed at 47.5K miles and just under three years of ownership. The Service estimate included tire rotation, four wheel alignment, A/C desiccant bag replacement, A/C coolant "recharge" , brake fluid replacement, cabin filter, windshield wipers, and about 2.5 hours of labor. The cost for this was around $850 and was presented to me for approval, which I authorized.

At the same time I asked them to fix the driver side door panel which was popping loose on most every drive causing a squeaking noise until it was manually popped back in. The SA went to the car to look and I showed him that it had popped loose on my drive to the service center. I was told that it was probably just broken clips and they would fix it, but I had to approve a diagnostic fee of $95 to the invoice, but if it was defective they would remove the fee.

Then I asked if they could perform the necessary service for the recent recall notice about the trunk/frunk, and he said they had not yet received any of the parts to fix this yet but they would inspect for the problem. Okay, I have never had any latch problems, so I got the $200 Uber credit and left the car.

The next day I had a notification that the car was finished and they had repaired the door clips but had not removed the $95 diagnostic fee for this. I mentioned that and the SA adjusted the price and took it off, but on the invoice it was listed as a "Goodwill" repair, not as warranty service. This reminded me of the yellow screen issues which hit my car at 12K miles which they originally claimed was normal and not covered under warranty. After complaining and telling them I would take a refund for the 2 year extended warranty I had purchased, they immediately game me a service appointment and fixed it free, but the invoice said "Goodwill" repair and not warranty.

Shortly after yellow screen repair I was notified by Tesla that I was eligible for the HW3 upgrade since I had purchased FSD. I took the car in, got the Uber credit, and was notified later that day that the HW3 upgrade was installed when the car was manufactured (March 2019) so I was good to go and I could pick it up, nothing else required. This time the invoice read "Customer Education" at no cost even though they called me about this and for whatever reason did not realize that HW3 was already installed.

So does Tesla not like to use the word "Warranty" on their invoices? Using the word "Goodwill" puts the onus back on the customer as though it was not covered under warranty but they are nice guys, and "Customer Eduction" implies I should have known even though they initiated the appointment . This gives me a wary feeling as my extended warranty is about to kick in, and I am wondering if they will ever consider anything as a warranty repair, and will they continue to point the finger at me instead of fixing defects?
I get what you’re saying, and why the concern.
However, at the end of the day, if the part goes bad within a year, after they replaced it as good will, they will still fix it again free. Or at least that’s been my experience.
So while I get your concern, I’m not sure it matter much.

Before my car hit the one-year mark, my suspension developed a significant amount of squeaking due to under-torqued suspension parts. The service center told me it would cost a couple hundred dollars (I forget the exact amount) as this was a recommended annual maintenance item. It took a while of arguing that this should be warranty as it is not normal in my view. They said it was normal and part of annual maintenance. In the end they agreed to "goodwill" the re-torquing of my suspension but did not classify it as "warranty". Yes, it's really no different to me financially whether it was classed as warranty or goodwill but I suspect there is some motivation for them to choose goodwill vs warranty and may be due to reporting requirements or something of that nature.