Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Warranty

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have about 45k on my 2019 Model X. Given the various issues that sporadically arise, I’m debating on selling the car or not. I enjoy driving the car, but get very irritated when something like wind noise from drivers window appears again and again even after going to the shop I don’t know how many time to have it fixed or the windshield wipers are very noisy or go beyond the windshield. I’ve had the ball joints replaced. The car has been shuddering which looks like a common issue. My list of problems keeps getting bigger… and it seems like I’m not alone.
The scariest problem happened when the car took over, swerved and slowed from 70 to 40 on a major highway at night. I was scared to death when it slowed and am thankful no one was behind me. I was using the cruise control. Service rep told me to read the owners manual which lists reasons why the behavior occurred.
I’m wondering if I should expect the possibility of more major issues that will cost me more money after the warranty is up?

Given the various issues that sporadically arise,

Even though its name is Tesla, it's still a car, and a car will have things break down after the warranty.

I’m debating on selling the car or not.
Fixing a Tesla will be expensive, but buying a new Tesla will be even more expensive.

It's up to your choice:

1) Pay more for a new car and get warranty coverage.
2) Pay expensively to fix an old Tesla, but it's still cheaper than a new Tesla.

...I enjoy driving the car, but get very irritated when something like wind noise from drivers window appears again and again even after going to the shop...
Fit and Fishnish is not strong point for Tesla.
...The scariest problem happened when the car took over, swerved and slowed from 70 to 40 on a major highway at night...
What were you on? Manual, TACC, Autopilot, FSD?

If you drove manually, it needs to be fixed.

If you were using any of Tesla's automation to drive, you'd just hope Tesla would get you a new update to fix it.

I have about 45k on my 2019 Model X. Given the various issues that sporadically arise, I’m debating on selling the car or not. I enjoy driving the car, but get very irritated when something like wind noise from drivers window appears again and again even after going to the shop I don’t know how many time to have it fixed or the windshield wipers are very noisy or go beyond the windshield. I’ve had the ball joints replaced. The car has been shuddering which looks like a common issue. My list of problems keeps getting bigger… and it seems like I’m not alone.
The scariest problem happened when the car took over, swerved and slowed from 70 to 40 on a major highway at night. I was scared to death when it slowed and am thankful no one was behind me. I was using the cruise control. Service rep told me to read the owners manual which lists reasons why the behavior occurred.
I’m wondering if I should expect the possibility of more major issues that will cost me more money after the warranty is up?
Dump it. A Tesla out of warranty can very quickly turn into an expensive headache.

Why not grab an aftermarket warranty? It'll cover most things, but not cosmetic stuff or squeaks and rattles.

Tesla seems to have done better with Phantom braking, which is the sudden braking you described. However, I do not know if these changes require later versions of hardware or software. Also, window noise seems to be a problem on some models. I know my 2022 X is much quieter in all aspects (wind, road noise, etc.) than my 2018 X was. Also, I have not experienced any Phantom braking issues with the 2022 unlike my 2018 X.

Please post your experiences shopping for aftermarket warranties (price, options, coverage exceptions, etc.). I’m going to be in the same boat in about a year with my new-to-me 2019 MX Raven. My options will be 1) purchase aftermarket warranty, 2) trade in on a new MY or 3) keep the MX and take my chances.