Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Warranty

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looking into buying a used P85 and was wondering something. The car will have 8 year unlimited miles warranty on motor (drive unit) and battery right? It has a 4 year 50k mile bumper to bumper. My question is before your bumper to bumper warranty runs out (4 year 50k miles) you can pay $4k, to add additional 4 more year and 50k bumper to bumper coverage to the car? What if you never take it into the service center for an annual service.

Looking into buying a used P85 and was wondering something. The car will have 8 year unlimited miles warranty on motor (drive unit) and battery right? It has a 4 year 50k mile bumper to bumper. My question is before your bumper to bumper warranty runs out (4 year 50k miles) you can pay $4k, to add additional 4 more year and 50k bumper to bumper coverage to the car? What if you never take it into the service center for an annual service.

You never have to go for annual service, ever. That was a change made in the last year or so.
As for the warranty, you need to buy the extended warranty 30 days before your warranty expires.

You never have to go for annual service, ever. That was a change made in the last year or so.
As for the warranty, you need to buy the extended warranty 30 days before your warranty expires.

Not that this applies here but if you lease you're required to take it for yearly service. The penalty for not taking it is basically unknown so do what you want with that info.

Not that this applies here but if you lease you're required to take it for yearly service. The penalty for not taking it is basically unknown so do what you want with that info.

If that's the case, is it free from tesla. BTW good info to know. Was thinking either go all out and lease a p85d or see if I could get a really good deal on a p85, since a lot of people are unloading them right now

If that's the case, is it free from tesla. BTW good info to know. Was thinking either go all out and lease a p85d or see if I could get a really good deal on a p85, since a lot of people are unloading them right now

Yearly service is not free from Tesla (regardless of lease or purchase). They charge $600 for annual service. What they do in that service can be found on their checklist.

You can purchase the "extended service agreement" (aka extended warranty) up to 30 days after the original warranty expires. I was just reading up on it today. It would be retroactive from when the original warranty expires, so no you can't sneak an extra month out of it. There is a $200 deductible for each repair that's waived for successive repairs of the same part during the service agreement.

Actually we just found out this weekend that if you buy a used Model S from Tesla you automatically get another 4 years and 50,000 on top of whatever is remaining on the existing warranty. i.e. If you buy a car with 20,000 miles, you will effectively have an 8 year, 100,000 bumper to bumper warranty.

Actually we just found out this weekend that if you buy a used Model S from Tesla you automatically get another 4 years and 50,000 on top of whatever is remaining on the existing warranty. i.e. If you buy a car with 20,000 miles, you will effectively have an 8 year, 100,000 bumper to bumper warranty.

How is the price compared with buying private party and paying the $4k

- - - Updated - - -

You can purchase the "extended service agreement" (aka extended warranty) up to 30 days after the original warranty expires. I was just reading up on it today. It would be retroactive from when the original warranty expires, so no you can't sneak an extra month out of it. There is a $200 deductible for each repair that's waived for successive repairs of the same part during the service agreement.
So you have to pay $200 every time you bring the car

Is that true?! Sounds too good to be true.

Sorry, eco5280 is correct, all CPO cars purchased from Tesla get this warranty bump. And I found that the CPO price Tesla was offering on their CPO vehicles was comparable to private party. I've read that Tesla is beginning to push their CPO market to start getting more people in their vehicles.

One other thing on the purchase of an extended warranty. It has to be before 3 years and 11 months or 49,000 miles, whichever is first. Don't miss the fact that you have to beat both deadlines.

I was always under the impression that you can buy the extended warranty 30-days after the original warranty expires (due to hitting the 5-year mark, or the 50K mileage mark).

I was always under the impression that you can buy the extended warranty 30-days after the original warranty expires (due to hitting the 5-year mark, or the 50K mileage mark).

What is something major goes wrong, within that 30 day window? Can you buy the warranty and have it pay for the repairs? That must be the case if it is retroactive back to the end of the warranty. For this reason, I find this hard to believe.

What is something major goes wrong, within that 30 day window? Can you buy the warranty and have it pay for the repairs? That must be the case if it is retroactive back to the end of the warranty. For this reason, I find this hard to believe.

Don't tell Tesla, buy the warranty, wait a couple of days, call for service? Or just buy it before 4 years or 50k miles...