Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Was delivered S this month with old FSD computer

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi!

Glad to be part of the community here. This is my first post.

I bought a new Tesla S a few weeks back and found out the old FSD is still installed (it records dashboard videos in H264 and not HEVC, a test to see if the new computer is installed without opening the car).
I paid for the FSD upgrade as well, right after the delivery.

I’m really angry about this because all model 3’s have the new one as well.

What should I do? It’s really hard to speak to a real human being and it takes forever to make an appointment.

thanks!

Before you do anything else, dig into the dash and check the part number. There’s a good chance you actually have the new computer after all.

In the 2019.28.x firmware versions, Tesla switched all of the AP3 cars to use the older codec, possibly because a few folks were experiencing stuttering in the videos.

I think that remains the case for all current firmware, though I haven’t verified the most recent versions yet. Not sure when or if Tesla will start using H265 again.

Before you do anything else, dig into the dash and check the part number. There’s a good chance you actually have the new computer after all.

In the 2019.28.x firmware versions, Tesla switched all of the AP3 cars to use the older codec, possibly because a few folks were experiencing stuttering in the videos.

I think that remains the case for all current firmware, though I haven’t verified the most recent versions yet. Not sure when or if Tesla will start using H265 again.

Thank you! That is news to me. I’m not comfortable opening up a dashboard of a new car myself (I am clumsy) - hopefully there is some piece of software that will allow me to query the hardware?

If you didn't buy FSD option at order time the car might have been built with the HS2.5 computer. You said you didn't order FSD, but upgraded to it after delivery. So if you have a pre-HW3 computer they will upgrade it for free sometime later. You'll still get it in the end, but you paid more to get less by waiting until after delivery.

• Informative
Reactions: boaterva
Thank you! That is indeed the case: I upgraded right after delivery and this was a straight software upgrade (instantly changed the available settings in my autopilot screen).
Teslafi confirmed I have the older FSD computer.

In that case I assume I should contact them for installation?

Thanks for your help!

If you didn't buy FSD option at order time the car might have been built with the HS2.5 computer. You said you didn't order FSD, but upgraded to it after delivery. So if you have a pre-HW3 computer they will upgrade it for free sometime later. You'll still get it in the end, but you paid more to get less by waiting until after delivery.

Thank you! That is indeed the case: I upgraded right after delivery and this was a straight software upgrade (instantly changed the available settings in my autopilot screen).

Thanks for your help!

ps: in the Netherlands the option is as expensive before as it is after, but reduces your tax burden (because the taxes for driving it under a company name is based on the total cost of the car including options when you ordered it)

Reactions: sceptic

Thanks for your help!
Did you read above? TeslaFi does NOT read option codes correctly because the API is not reporting them correctly. Again, it doesn’t matter until code for HW3 exists. Right now everything runs better on 2.5 hardware and is emulated on 3. So it runs worse on 3 and there is no HW 3 functionally. Stop worrying about it.

You will be contacted for an AP CPU swap out in due course.

Thanks for your help!

How did TeslaFi confirm you have "the older FSD computer"?

RELAX

there has been ONE confirmed upgrade. A social media influencer. Picked “randomly”.

I just wouldn’t worry about it for now.

Here is someone reporting that they have been upgraded:

How do you confirm the FSD hardware? Are there instructions to remove the dash to read the part numbers? I just had HW 3 installed in my MS, but videos are in H.264 vs 265. Thanks