Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Was I given a 70d instead of a 75d?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I first bought my new MS 75D in late 2017 my maximum range at 100% was 235. A few years later that still hasn’t changed. I didn’t think to compare the number with what was advertised and just assumed it was what it should have been.

This doesn’t appear to be a battery degradation issue and I’m tempted to think I got a 70d battery. After all, 235 is the max range for the older 70’s. Is this possible? Am I missing something?

• Funny
Reactions: MP3Mike
go take a look at the batter sticker..
look under the front passenger fenderwell... look hard, it's there. take a pic and post it here

I was finally able to find the sticker and it looks to be a 75D but could it be limited to a 70? Perhaps in the way they used to limit smaller batteries allowing you to pay for an upgrade?

Any other ideas for why the charging has maxed out at 235 at 100% since day 1?

Attachments

• F44980A9-6E81-4A62-BF82-6ECB09309B53.jpeg
    F44980A9-6E81-4A62-BF82-6ECB09309B53.jpeg
    267.3 KB · Views: 124
  • Informative
Reactions: gaswalla
There are 2 range versions in the menu - I can't rember what they are called now but one is lower than the other so perhaps you are on the lower one. 235 sounds about right on the "realistic" setting based on my 2017 75D BTW

Batteries always degrade. ALWAYS. They lose about 5% the first year and then lose an additional 1% per year thereafter. Don't know how you did your comparisons, but when I charge to 90% I get a variable number. It does not charge to 360 miles every time, and the average number has dropped from when I first bought it, which is considered normal.

Many things affect your charging. If it's cold or very hot the battery spends time heating or cooling, and often this goes on after the charge has completed, so the final charge is lower. And after 5 years your battery will have lost nearly ten percent.

Obviously you HAD a 75 kWh battery once, but like all the rest of us, the capacity has diminished over time. Now, I would have been shocked if, after five years, you suddenly reported 250 miles of range.