Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Was I just able to "nudge" an update to my car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
SO this basically happened to me twice now; my car is on the "Advanced" download setting, and I'm impatiently waiting for an update. Checking maybe a couple of times a day over the course of multiple days.

Then I decided to try something; switching back to "Normal" (pause for a few seconds) then switching back to "Advanced". Sure enough within just a few minutes there was an update ready to install on my car!

Anyone else experienced this? Is it a thing?

My recent experience is that if you go to the software tab it will display something like "checking for updates..." and after a short amount of time it will either start downloading an update or say something like "software is update as January 2, 2023". No need to do anything else. This worked for my last two updates

I know I didn't do that... But that actually works?
I should have put the /sarcasm tag there...

In the early days (c. 2018/19) when the software tab in the car was first added, someone posted that, then a bunch of other people tried it and 'it worked' - the reason being was that when you went to the 'software' tab, it takes about 5 taps worth of time to check for updates and then it would show the update. It was totally stupid, but the posts were getting out of hand. what people failed to relealize was that

When your car gets an update is completely determined by Tesla flagging your VIN. The next time it checks for an update after your VIN has been flagged for an update it will see it. So if you happen to go to the software tab between when your VIN is flagged and the car would have checked on its own, it appears as though whatever action you took caused it to get updated (tap 5 times, wear you lucky underwear, clutching a pic of Elon, etc.)