Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Was just told that AP 2.0 won't get FSD.

If your HW2.0 & already paid for FSD won't be supported, which solution do you prefer?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am so shocked and disappointed. I am a Model 3 owner and loved it so much I decided to order another Tesla. I went with a CPO Model X. A requirement for my second car was that it be upgradable to FSD for long term upgradability so I specifically searched for an Enhanced Autopilot vehicle and worked with my sales person who told me 2.0 would be FSD eligible. I found a vehicle and ordered a Model X that had AP 2.0. Tomorrow is my delivery date and I asked for FSD to be put on the vehicle before delivery weeks ago. When the delivery person was reading through the notes he just told that 2.0 cars will not have FSD capabilities. He was shocked and asked his techs to call Engineering in Fremont. He was told that there was a change and Tesla will only support FSD in 2.5 vehicles. I let them know that a lot of owners have paid for FAD on 2.0 cars but was told that the engineers in Fremont confirmed it. FSD will only be available on 2.5 cars and beyond. I have decided not to take delivery of my original vehicle, even though I have already transferred payment to Tesla. It has been 4 weeks, I have secured my loan, paid a huge down payment and I was counting on my vehicle to be delivered tomorrow. What a shock! I think a lot of 2.0 owners are going to be very upset moving forward. Has anyone heard about this. I wonder if it is new, with all of the language changes they have been making with Auto Pilot. What a huge disappointment!

Nonsense.

I have 2.0 and this is what has been said yesterday after I asked the about this

image.png

Don't understand your reply. Hardware is in the car, you can buy software to activate it later on if so desired.

If you read the above link that AP1 was no longer sold to current owners, most couldn't buy it but one was able to get Service Center to go rogue and activated it. Service Center said there's no service menu for it. There's no pricing for it. So they just bypassed the policy and made something up to charge the customer and activated AP1.

It is not about the ability, capability or technology but about a change in policy and whether Tesla staff would obey the policy or not.

Sooooo for everyone with AP2.0 who prepaid for FSD, I wonder what the end game is here?

I can't imagine it ending any better way other than Tesla trying to appease with buybacks or upgrade discounts, or designing a HW3 retrofit kit, whichever options are cheaper.

If the car was sold with a FSD option it's harder for Tesla to dismiss arguments that this is specifically why the customer chose to buy that car.

Sooooo for everyone with AP2.0 who prepaid for FSD, I wonder what the end game is here?

Disappointment, almost without question.

If the car was sold with a FSD option it's harder for Tesla to dismiss arguments that this is specifically why the customer chose to buy that car.

I wonder if going through my post history would support my claims to that effect, but I don't wonder quite enough to actually look. Autopilot was by far the main reason I bought the car and I paid for FSD right out of the gate even though I felt like I was setting myself up for disappointment by doing the latter. That damned video, though… I took it hook, line and sinker.

the guy who is getting two free roadsters complaining about the price of FSD makes me want to cash out my investments and send all the money to ISIS in hopes that they wipe us all out. We deserve it.

I agree completely.

I did find this down the thread. Perhaps Tesla stopped allowing upgrades on cars with HW2 until they decide how much the new chip will cost? It all seems fairly random.

• Informative
Reactions: Tam
Disappointment, almost without question.

I wonder if going through my post history would support my claims to that effect, but I don't wonder quite enough to actually look. Autopilot was by far the main reason I bought the car and I paid for FSD right out of the gate even though I felt like I was setting myself up for disappointment by doing the latter. That damned video, though… I took it hook, line and sinker.

I'll speak for myself too. I specifically bought FSD because I wanted my car to perform FSD functionalities one day. I would've entered the market at a different time and/or chosen a different car in the meantime if I had known AP2.0 was a dead end. Not to mention at the time that HW2.5 came out, Tesla dismissing it as not-a-big-deal made things worse -- you could make an argument that with better tax incentives and stronger resale value it would've been a better time to make a move if Tesla said 'hey your hardware is gonna be a dead end soon' ... So I would expect a buyback or a severely discounted trade-up to make me whole.

And in the big picture I am a Tesla fan and satisfied customer. I was more than willing to cut a lot of slack for the EAP timeline. But the divergence of AP2.5 vs AP2.0 is testing me.

...Sooooo for everyone with AP2.0 who prepaid for FSD, I wonder what the end game is here?..

Those who bought FSD will get FSD and it doesn't matter what hardware will be in your car.

If that hardware is HW 3.0, 3.5, 4.0, 4.5 or whatever that won't be able to do FSD, then Tesla will be continued to be legally obligated to provide whatever it will take without additional cost to deliver what we already paid.

I'll speak for myself too. I specifically bought FSD because I wanted my car to perform FSD functionalities one day. I would've entered the market at a different time and/or chosen a different car in the meantime if I had known AP2.0 was a dead end. Not to mention at the time that HW2.5 came out, Tesla dismissing it as not-a-big-deal made things worse -- you could make an argument that with better tax incentives and stronger resale value it would've been a better time to make a move if Tesla said 'hey your hardware is gonna be a dead end soon' ... So I would expect a buyback or a severely discounted trade-up to make me whole.

And in the big picture I am a Tesla fan and satisfied customer. I was more than willing to cut a lot of slack for the EAP timeline. But the divergence of AP2.5 vs AP2.0 is testing me.

Yeah that sums it up. I love my car, truly, but when it comes to FSD I'm honestly expecting some litany of excuses why not even AP2.5 cars can actually be upgraded when (or if) the time comes, or stalling so much that I end up buying a new car out of frustration, which just lets them win… and I *hate* losing.