Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Was just told that AP 2.0 won't get FSD.

If your HW2.0 & already paid for FSD won't be supported, which solution do you prefer?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@Ludalicious Your 2C are wrong. I took delivery of my X on Monday, my second Tesla. I am not trying to be misleading, I was just sharing my experience and what I am being told by Tesla employees. Maybe you have better information than the rest of us, but It was always my understanding that 2.0 cars should be eligible for FSD when it becomes available. After being told this by the Tesla sales person, and agreeing to pay for it, it was unnerving being told conflicting information after I had signed over my trade and transferred my money to Tesla while sitting in the delivery center. I did not ask for, and do not expect a discount. Not sure where that came from. The only thing I was expecting was what was told to me when I purchased the car as Im sure you would have as well. Baller on a budget.....LOL

I am not someone who claims to know everything about these cars. I am just someone who bought a M3 last year. My wife and I love the car so much that we have gotten rid of all our gas vehicles and now only drive Teslas. The only thing I have to go by is what I research and what I am told by Tesla employees. Coming from ICE vehicles (which are pretty well defined), this was a completely different experience for me.

UPDATE: I got a message this morning on my screen congratulation me saying my X now has FSD. So apparently you are still able to add FSD to 2.0 vehicles, but it wasn't easy for me.

Last edited:
I really wish we could get an official word for SOMEONE at Tesla that specifcally says HW2.0 will be upgraded to HW3. Everything I've seen over the past year or so has said HW2, which could easily be mistaken as HW2.5. I just purchased a HW2.0 MS P100D with FSD. I can live without Sentry but missing out on things like Enhanced Autopilot definitely hurts, especially since I paid $100,000 for a FSD CPO car with hopes to have those types of features.

So you want official word from someone at Tesla higher than Elon? If you "just purchased" an AP 2.0 car from Tesla with FSD and they didn't plan to support it, then WHY would they have sold you the car with FSD?? They could have very easily sold it without FSD, right?

Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia
@Ludalicious Your 2C are wrong. I took delivery of my X on Monday, my second Tesla. I am not trying to be misleading, I was just sharing my experience and what I am being told by Tesla employees. Maybe you have better information than the rest of us, but It was always my understanding that 2.0 cars should be eligible for FSD when it becomes available. After being told this by the Tesla sales person, and agreeing to pay for it, it was unnerving being told conflicting information after I had signed over my trade and transferred my money to Tesla while sitting in the delivery center. I did not ask for, and do not expect a discount. Not sure where that came from. The only thing I was expecting was what was told to me when I purchased the car as Im sure you would have as well. Baller on a budget.....LOL

I am not someone who claims to know everything about these cars. I am just someone who bought a M3 last year. My wife and I love the car so much that we have gotten rid of all our gas vehicles and now only drive Teslas. The only thing I have to go by is what I research and what I am told by Tesla employees. Coming from ICE vehicles (which are pretty well defined), this was a completely different experience for me.

UPDATE: I got a message this morning on my screen congratulation me saying my X now has FSD. So apparently you are still able to add FSD to 2.0 vehicles, but it wasn't easy for me.

All I'm saying is dont jump the gun. You didn't even have the vehicle yet and posted on social media and also TMC on something that you didn't even own yet. Allot of people are going to read the title of this post and not scroll through 10 pages of fudge to find out what really happened. You can go ahead and dislike this post too.... No F's given here

Reactions: Cheburashka
@LudaliciousUPDATE: I got a message this morning on my screen congratulation me saying my X now has FSD. So apparently you are still able to add FSD to 2.0 vehicles, but it wasn't easy for me.

Only thing you can interpret from that is that you were able to add FSD to a pre-owned 2.0, doesn't mean it is intended to be possible, or that it isn't, there is too much variability in the process to interpret much from a single example.

Do pay attention to what the current description of FSD is though as that will be what you have purchased, not necessarily the same thing as those who bought it last month, last year or several years ago...

Reactions: Fiddler
@Ludalicious Your 2C are wrong. I took delivery of my X on Monday, my second Tesla. I am not trying to be misleading, I was just sharing my experience and what I am being told by Tesla employees. Maybe you have better information than the rest of us, but It was always my understanding that 2.0 cars should be eligible for FSD when it becomes available.
You are correct. All HW 2.0 vehicles and later were always advertised as having all the hardware necessary to support FSD.

• Helpful
Reactions: TaoJones
So you want official word from someone at Tesla higher than Elon? If you "just purchased" an AP 2.0 car from Tesla with FSD and they didn't plan to support it, then WHY would they have sold you the car with FSD?? They could have very easily sold it without FSD, right?
Yes, Elon said "AP2" in his tweet but he could have been referring to AP2.5. It hasn't been clarified. Not to mentioned the fact that Elon has repeatedly said things would happen that never come to fruition. I am hopeful for an upgrade since he let AP2.0 folks purchase FSD. However, it definitely doesn't guarantee it. And again, aside from offering the purchase of FSD for AP2.0, no one has specifically said AP2.0 (HW2.0) will be getting an upgrade. I guess I should stop being pessimistic but it's hard at this point.

• Disagree
Reactions: EinSV
I used to be a GM shareholder when they went bankrupt the last time. I used to joke about the fact that there was this very nice conference room door on the third floor, that was going to be mine once they parted the assets. But then there was this guy in Washington, who decided to wipe his bottom with over a hundred years of bankruptcy law, and everything went to unions and cronies and the likes of me were left holding $0 worth of bag

I’m not a bankruptcy lawyer or anything, but as a shareholder, wouldn’t you be part owner of the company that is in debt and owes money it can’t pay? Aren’t shareholders last in line, per a hundred years of bankruptcy law, for the assets? If some guy in Washington doesn’t bail them out, and the assets like your conference room door get liquidated, the liquidated assets would be going from the shareholders to the creditors to pay debts you, as an owner, owe. Your liablity is limited to the value of your shares, but it is your liability none the less, no?

Last edited:
Reactions: plumazul
I’m not a bankruptcy lawyer or anything, but as a shareholder, wouldn’t you be part owner of the company that is in debt and owes money it can’t pay? Aren’t shareholders last in line, per a hundred years of bankruptcy law, for the assets? If some guy in Washington doesn’t bail them out, and the assets like your conference room door get liquidated, the liquidated assets would be going from the shareholders to the creditors to pay debts you, as an owner, owe. Your liablity is limited to the value of your shares, but it is your liability none the less, no?

Except they carved out anything that looked like an asset and placed it in the “New GM”, which they then bailed out, and left the old company holding the bag.

Sooooo for everyone with AP2.0 who prepaid for FSD, I wonder what the end game is here?

I can't imagine it ending any better way other than Tesla trying to appease with buybacks or upgrade discounts, or designing a HW3 retrofit kit, whichever options are cheaper.

If the car was sold with a FSD option it's harder for Tesla to dismiss arguments that this is specifically why the customer chose to buy that car.
Tesla sold AP2.0 as FSD capable, just like they sold P85D's as 691hp capable. Yes, it took them a couple of years to finally admit that capable doesn't mean it will ever be actually doing it (in case of P85D they finally admitted after a lawsuit that 463hp is what the actual power produced by the motors is). AP2.0 FSD will end the same way, except any lawsuit will have much harder time succeeding because of the fine print they were smart to add since day one of FSD - nobody can predict when this will become available. So, they'll say, AP2.0 cars are capable, and they still have no answer when.

Tesla sold AP2.0 as FSD capable, just like they sold P85D's as 691hp capable. Yes, it took them a couple of years to finally admit that capable doesn't mean it will ever be actually doing it (in case of P85D they finally admitted after a lawsuit that 463hp is what the actual power produced by the motors is). AP2.0 FSD will end the same way, except any lawsuit will have much harder time succeeding because of the fine print they were smart to add since day one of FSD - nobody can predict when this will become available. So, they'll say, AP2.0 cars are capable, and they still have no answer when.
Good morning to you too. Sounds like speculation. Let us know when you get some actual facts about the future of AP2.0. You're most likely correct, unless they have an easy way to replace the cameras and RADAR with the AP2.5 hardware. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

I personally doubt this will happen, especially since they took money from AP2.0 owners for the FSD upgrade as recently as March 2019.

• Informative
Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia
I already had enhanced AP when I bought FSD a few months ago. Sorry, but what is the difference between old FSD and new?
Tesla moved some features from EAP to FSD so that FSD is doesn't look 0% complete (so they can say they are delivering on FSD feature). If you have the old EAP, there is nothing implemented in FSD today which was not part of EAP before.

Last edited:
I'll speak for myself too. I specifically bought FSD because I wanted my car to perform FSD functionalities one day. I would've entered the market at a different time and/or chosen a different car in the meantime if I had known AP2.0 was a dead end. Not to mention at the time that HW2.5 came out, Tesla dismissing it as not-a-big-deal made things worse -- you could make an argument that with better tax incentives and stronger resale value it would've been a better time to make a move if Tesla said 'hey your hardware is gonna be a dead end soon' ... So I would expect a buyback or a severely discounted trade-up to make me whole.

And in the big picture I am a Tesla fan and satisfied customer. I was more than willing to cut a lot of slack for the EAP timeline. But the divergence of AP2.5 vs AP2.0 is testing me.

I am in the same boat. AP2.0 owner. Paid for FSD / EAP. (nothing is written about "capable") . Love my Tesla. Daily drives are great. So yes this whole plaid pants car salesmen treatment from Tesla has "tested" me as it did you. I think I am still loyal as my experience dates back to my first Tesla in 2013 (early adopter I guess?) and now my second Tesla being a P100D with the dreaded AP2.0.

Throw the chicken bones and see what the real answer is.

Has there been any updates since all the recent announcements (tweets) on FSD upgrades, MCU upgrades, etc for cars that are eligible? I see that they dropped the FSD pricing again, and was thinking about pulling trigger, but may just want to wait 5 more years and get the latest Tesla. I have waited 3 years already with my Nov 2016 75D VIN model.