Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Was my rocker panel done correctly?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys.

I wanted some input from the group whether or not my rocker panel was done correctly. I was side swept a few months ago and they had to replace some minor things, one of which was the rocker panel. Today when I went to pick up the vehicle, I noticed that there was some bubbling on the rear of the rocker panel where I was hit/released. When I got up closer I saw that the texture was rough, and was not smooth like The undamaged rocker panel. When I asked the shop about it come on they told me that this was normal, and that it was extra protection to make sure that it doesn't get chipped on the road. But obviously to me, it doesn't match and my concern is that once I place my ppf over it that it's going to look bubbled up. Is this normal? It looks and feels like drywall material.

20221028_171537.jpg
20221028_171147.jpg

If it was done "correctly" it should look the same as the factory side. I'm guessing they are BSing you. Did you have this done by a Tesla approved shop? Did they tell you how they actually fixed it? AFAIK that panel is part of the chassis and not a separate piece, so other than if it is fixable by PDR (paintless dent repair), they probably have to cut out the damaged part and weld in a replacement. If they do a cheap (unofficial) repair, they probably just bondo it with body filler, but even if they do that, it should look smooth and like factory and it should not look pitted like in your picture.

Below that line, there is a different primer, that has a rougher texture, kind of like a rougher orange-peel finish. Would be nice if you showed how it looks on the other side.
IMG_3181.jpeg

Here you can see the orange-peel below that line on mine.

This is very intriguing to me.

We had a thread a little over a year ago, with similar results. (Rocker Panel Repair Results)

I happen to know the OP of the other thread, and the body shop they used, and was pretty shocked at the result. It's a top notch Tesla certified body shop, the same body shop I use (and to which my Model 3 is headed on Tuesday.). Very, very far from a "fly by night" shop or someone winging it with Teslas... They've been recognized nationally by Tesla as one of their top repair centers. Anyway, I digress ...

... what I find interesting is that we have another, very similar repair, from a completely different body shop. Similar damage, same end result, states away.

What gives here? I'm wondering if there's some Tesla procedure that indicates creating this kind of finish on a rocker repair? What I'll say is that the finish itself isn't horrible, but it should match side to side. In the other thread, the body shop offered to repaint the undamaged side to match. In this case, it sounds like that wasn't happening.

So what's going on with this orange-peel style rocker texture? Wondering if this is a "thing" rather than a mistake?

Below that line, there is a different primer, that has a rougher texture, kind of like a rougher orange-peel finish. Would be nice if you showed how it looks on the other side.View attachment 868848
Here you can see the orange-peel below that line on mine.

This is very intriguing to me.

We had a thread a little over a year ago, with similar results. (Rocker Panel Repair Results)

I happen to know the OP of the other thread, and the body shop they used, and was pretty shocked at the result. It's a top notch Tesla certified body shop, the same body shop I use (and to which my Model 3 is headed on Tuesday.). Very, very far from a "fly by night" shop or someone winging it with Teslas... They've been recognized nationally by Tesla as one of their top repair centers. Anyway, I digress ...

... what I find interesting is that we have another, very similar repair, from a completely different body shop. Similar damage, same end result, states away.

What gives here? I'm wondering if there's some Tesla procedure that indicates creating this kind of finish on a rocker repair? What I'll say is that the finish itself isn't horrible, but it should match side to side. In the other thread, the body shop offered to repaint the undamaged side to match. In this case, it sounds like that wasn't happening.

So what's going on with this orange-peel style rocker texture? Wondering if this is a "thing" rather than a mistake?
The place that I took it to is indeed a certified Tesla shop. But I am just wondering why they didn't use the regular/smooth finish instead? I did post this on reddit as well and was told this is normal, that it's actually a rocker panel guard that is supposed to make it stronger.

Reactions: dmurphy
So you had your rocker replaced, including the whole rear quarter panel, etc? If so, maybe the rockers come pre-primed explaining why the new side doesn't match the other side?

Whatever the case, my image from above has PPF on it. I did it myself, and yes, it does take a little more massaging to get it to lay on the nubbly surface, but not too difficult.

The place that I took it to is indeed a certified Tesla shop. But I am just wondering why they didn't use the regular/smooth finish instead? I did post this on reddit as well and was told this is normal, that it's actually a rocker panel guard that is supposed to make it stronger.

I truly don't know the "why" behind it but find this very interesting. The "other" thread really bothered me because it was at a body shop I really trust, and who've repaired literally thousands of Teslas by now. I actually stopped recommending that shop to others because of it -- I still trust them for my OWN work, but with how disappointed the other owner was (and understandably so!) -- I've stopped.

But if this is an actual process, and actually done correctly -- then I don't know what to think, other than if that's the process, it should at least be applied to both sides such that they match.

I think I'd be alright if that were the finish -- on both sides of the car. It's even, looks professionally done and as you said, if it protects the panel, all the better. But knowing it was on the left side and not the right would make me batty. :)

In this industry many cars are coated with rocker panel guard, BUT you can't assume a vehicle has it w/o checking both sides. I manage a body shop and that would be a nightmare to redo, but it would need to be done or done on the other side to match it.

08889.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: KenC
My Porsche 911 is like this from the factory also, and yes after applying PPF it does give a strong orange peel effect, but this is on a new undamaged factory car.

my gut says it’s normal, but as to why it doesn’t have the coating from factory? Well that’s just weird

• Informative
Reactions: KenC
Hey guys.

I wanted some input from the group whether or not my rocker panel was done correctly. I was side swept a few months ago and they had to replace some minor things, one of which was the rocker panel. Today when I went to pick up the vehicle, I noticed that there was some bubbling on the rear of the rocker panel where I was hit/released. When I got up closer I saw that the texture was rough, and was not smooth like The undamaged rocker panel. When I asked the shop about it come on they told me that this was normal, and that it was extra protection to make sure that it doesn't get chipped on the road. But obviously to me, it doesn't match and my concern is that once I place my ppf over it that it's going to look bubbled up. Is this normal? It looks and feels like drywall material.

View attachment 868647View attachment 868648
Hello, definitively it's not factory finish, that's regular undercoating texture. Actually, it does not look bad. I am on similar repair job, and trying to figure what product to use to get factory looking, feeling and protection. Does any one know finally what kind of coating is used to get original finish? Any suggest?