TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Was self driving video scripted?

Discussion in 'Tesla' started by xborg, Oct 24, 2016.

Tags:
  1. xborg

xborg Member

Hi all,

Apart from the video cuts, and playback speed changes during the video, I've noticed that autopilot toycar display was acting weird.

Could someone tell me what is happening here?

Are they just tricking radar to think that there are cars front so the car can slow down? Screen Shot 2016-10-25 at 03.54.32.png

I wouldn't call this as "self-driving". But definitely it is much better than AP1. Elon said it took 3 days to capture this video. Probably they've driven the same road many times and pinpointed waypoints about where to stop, where to turn.

2. S4WRXTTCS

S4WRXTTCS Active Member

Scripted? No

Heavily edited with lots of reshoots, and patched together? Yes

It's a fun video, but it's not reflective of anything. If they wanted to prove something they would have posted an video that was in real-time. It's good marketing though.

As the IC it doesn't appear like it was working all that well throughout the entire video. I would chalk that up to running Engineering software where they didn't bother implementing all that stuff. Keep in mind it's completely new software. It's probably buggy as all hell.

• Like x 1
  3. ohmman

ohmman Maximum Plaid Member

Certainly not as stable as what we're all running... :rolleyes:

• Funny x 2
  4. xborg

xborg Member

Btw, I forgot to mention, this is the 1:00 minute mark from Tesla's footage

5. S4WRXTTCS

S4WRXTTCS Active Member

I was hoping they'd use the streaming music so I could hear if it ended 42 seconds before the song really ends.

• Like x 1
  6. disagree

disagree hos epi to polu

If you slow it down frame by frame, you can see the second shooter.

• Funny x 8
    • Like x 1
  7. JeffK

JeffK Well-Known Member

Who thinks it hit the curb when parallel parking? We'll never know...

• Like x 2
  8. Matias

Matias Active Member

I noticed umbrella man, when I enhanced reflexion from a chrome lining of a mirror.

zozoayt60xa6ps8vtptw.jpg

• Funny x 2
  9. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

Explain. What is it about that time in the video that you find noteworthy? The car is stopped at an intersection. So...?

10. xborg

xborg Member

Did you see my screenshot in the first post?
    Check autopilot display on 1:00 minute mark. It detects bunch of cars in the intersection and it stops. But there were no cars. It may be the case that they've just pressed a button and tricked radar that there are cars front in order to make the car slow down.
    Watch it full screen please. Link here

11. JeffK

JeffK Well-Known Member

I think they just didn't rewrite the UI yet, no need to waste time on that at the moment.

• Like x 1
  12. bro1999

bro1999 Active Member

I like how at the end, the X totally drives up the wrong lane before it stops and the "driver" gets out.

13. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

At the one minute point in the video the X stops because the light is red. Look at the traffic light. It is red. The oncoming traffic on that rod is also stopped. Then the cars in the left hand turn lane immediately to the left of the X proceed, then the X proceeds.

14. jimmyjohn

jimmyjohn Member

There's no height requirement to post on this forum, but, "xborg" certainly appears short.

• Disagree x 3
    • Like x 1
  15. xborg

xborg Member

What I say is, it doesn't stop because the light is red. It stops because they trick the autopilot to believe that there are cars front.

16. AB4EJ

AB4EJ Member

What has been highlighted here is the icon for RadioLab, which is a podcast from WNYC.

I wouldn't take this video as anything more than a best case overview of what eventually can be done (marketing). A sort of vision of future capabilities (which Tesla perhaps eventually get to), but most people know that there is a lot more to be done before this becomes available generally (not the least of which is regulation updates to allow it)...

17. Boourns

Boourns Member

I think he's talking about the thing in front of the toy car on the IC.

Could it be that the icon in front of the toy car is some kind of red light indicator?

• Like x 1
  18. msnow

msnow Active Member

Yeah I see what you're saying. It could be that the camera can't detect stop signs and red lights yet so they scripted the ride. I took the entire video as a vision rather than current capabilities.

• Like x 1
  19. jaguar36

jaguar36 Active Member

I'm in the 'The UI isn't done yet' boat. For one, if they were going to script it, I would hope it would have turned out better. For another if they were going to script it, why would it delay the launch? They could have scripted a video like that months ago.

20. MrRandyB

MrRandyB Member

Maybe it is actually reading the red light and this makes the car behave in a similar fashion by telling it not to proceed.

But maybe the images have not been put in the system so a red light shows as a car.

It does seem like it noticed something and came up to it and slowed down to a full stop. Not like they hit a button and it stopped immediately.