Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Was self driving video scripted?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What I say is, it doesn't stop because the light is red. It stops because they trick the autopilot to believe that there are cars front.
You have a remarkable level of knowledge about the inner workings of the car shown in the video simply based on what the drivers display shows. You are assuming that the unreleased software running in that car operates in a certain way. In fact you have no idea how the software operates because you do not work for Tesla in the AP development team.

I'm in the 'The UI isn't done yet' boat. For one, if they were going to script it, I would hope it would have turned out better. For another if they were going to script it, why would it delay the launch? They could have scripted a video like that months ago.
I don't believe "UI is not ready". As an Software Engineer, I cannot imagine testing such a system without getting UI feedback.

• Disagree
Reactions: MP3Mike
You have a remarkable level of knowledge about the inner workings of the car shown in the video simply based on what the drivers display shows. You are assuming that the unreleased software running in that car operates in a certain way. In fact you have no idea how the software operates because you do not work for Tesla in the AP development team.
Yes, this is just my opinion. I didn't state the opposite.

I don't believe "UI is not ready". As an Software Engineer, I cannot imagine testing such a system without getting UI feedback.
Sure, but I also can't imagine that the testing is done with the production UI. They've most certainly got a development UI of some sort that they do the majority of the early testing with.

Hi all,

Apart from the video cuts, and playback speed changes during the video, I've noticed that autopilot toycar display was acting weird.

Could someone tell me what is happening here?

Are they just tricking radar to think that there are cars front so the car can slow down?View attachment 200042

I wouldn't call this as "self-driving". But definitely it is much better than AP1. Elon said it took 3 days to capture this video. Probably they've driven the same road many times and pinpointed waypoints about where to stop, where to turn.
Original target date the 17th falls on a Sunday, it was raining all weekend in the SF Bay Area, so maybe Tesla was just waiting for a sunny day to shoot the video?

I like how at the end, the X totally drives up the wrong lane before it stops and the "driver" gets out.
It probably learned that by shadowing Tesla employees who drives that way in that parking lot all the time. Just another reason we need to get human drivers off the road. Yoou can't fix stupid human behavior like this in all people, but easily fixable in all Teslas

There is a UI... it displays cars

Also not all software engineers have the benefit of finished UIs... many of us use text if that.
As a software engineer you should probably understand that doing the UI first makes no sense anyway. An in-car UI is also not necessarily needed for testing. My UI is a screen full of text at my bash prompt!

Millennials?!! huumph with their UIs and their pokemon :mad:

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: ohmman
The UI has been changed. If you look at the screenshot in the OP, you can see (A) instead of (55) or whatever the autopilot speed limit is.

EDIT: Personally, I do think it was scripted, as the route was not in the navigation system, suggesting a dev system somewhere else in the car to tell the car where to go.

Reactions: xborg