Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Was shooting a video during roadtrip and came across an Autopilot problem

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was shooting a video during a road trip and autopilot started constant beeping without the initial warnings... It feels like a bug to me. You can go to around 1'30" directly to see the issue...

Shouldn't AP give visual warnings, then single beeps, then double beeps, then the constant beep and reduce speed? Or am I mistaken here?

If it's about special road conditions that AP is not able to handle, it should disable AP immediately and ask you to take over, and it will not cause AP to be unavailable for the rest of the drive, which is not the case here...

• Disagree
Reactions: ABC2D
Clickbait. Not a bug, disabling of autopilot over 90mph has been heavily discussed on the forum. And it's in the manual. Usage of Autosteer begins on page 84 of the manual, something all owners should be familiar with before using.

Screen Shot 2017-08-17 at 11.28.07 AM.png

You went over 90mph. Auto disables when you go over 90mph
No I was using AP at 80mph, then when the speed started to drop I had to put my foot on the "go pedal" and accidentally went over 90. I was not putting my foot on the pedal before AP warning went out. Plus, if I had went over 90, it will just stop working and ask me to take over. That constant beep then reducing speed is only for ignoring the AP warnings for too long I think

I’ve had it freak out like that with no warning as well on the interstate. Never going over 75mph. It freaks out briefly and then acts like nothing happened...
Finally I have someone with similar issue instead of accusing me of going over 90mph... which I didn't... thanks for telling these guys I'm not a clickbait but pointing out there is really some potential problem with the warning system...

Sometimes I’d get the freak out sound and the graphic wouldn’t show up, sometimes it would. Happened about 4 times during a 1500 mile trip. No over passes or signs. Just open road. It was weird but I just chalked it up to just a bug and sent a bug report voice command.

If you are on autopilot on any speed but accelerate by holding the acceleration pedal at/over 90 MPH you get the alarm alert and autopilot disengages for the remainder of the drive. Autopilot isn't designed for those speeds

If you didnt go over 90mph by putting your foot on the accelerator then there was something that autopilot could not identify (shadows and such on the road) and it asked you to place your hands on the steering wheel. Most likely you then hit the accelerator pedal and went over 90mph while autopilot was still on which will disable it until you put the car in park.

Autopilot will ask you to place your hands on the steering wheel without warnings or beeps when it gets confused. It's why it is still level 2 automation. Drivers are required to take over immediately without warning when a situation occurs.

Sometimes I’d get the freak out sound and the graphic wouldn’t show up, sometimes it would. Happened about 4 times during a 1500 mile trip. No over passes or signs. Just open road. It was weird but I just chalked it up to just a bug and sent a bug report voice command.
BTW will we ever receive any progress report on the bugs we sent thru voice command? I never received any

If you didnt go over 90mph by putting your foot on the accelerator then there was something that autopilot could not identify (shadows and such on the road) and it asked you to place your hands on the steering wheel. Most likely you then hit the accelerator pedal and went over 90mph while autopilot was still on which will disable it until you put the car in park.

Autopilot will ask you to place your hands on the steering wheel without warnings or beeps when it gets confused. It's why it is still level 2 automation. Drivers are required to take over immediately without warning when a situation occurs.
I also considered that. If it encounters problems it will require immediate take over (which didn't happen here) and it will not cause AP to be unavailable for the rest of the drive (which is the case here)