Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Was shooting a video during roadtrip and came across an Autopilot problem

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you ignore the visual warning the first time it will beep you gently to put the hand on the wheel, which I am sure you did.

The next time around again if you ignore the visual warning it will beep again to remind you that you need to torque the wheel.

After that the next time if you ignore the visual warning - it won't beep. It will directly send you to jail with those red hands.

Basically it concludes that you are not a person to be trusted with AP.

In addition in this case you were accelerating manually and AP doesn't like that. Anytime when you override TACC with you pressing the accelerator, there will be a message to hold the wheel and after that straight to AP jail.

I was shooting a video during a road trip and autopilot started constant beeping without the initial warnings... It feels like a bug to me. You can go to around 1'30" directly to see the issue...

Shouldn't AP give visual warnings, then single beeps, then double beeps, then the constant beep and reduce speed? Or am I mistaken here?

If it's about special road conditions that AP is not able to handle, it should disable AP immediately and ask you to take over, and it will not cause AP to be unavailable for the rest of the drive, which is not the case here...

I agree that you did encounter this situation but if I'm correct, your running low on battery power and I believe your X went into power save mode. Auto Pilot uses a lot of power, therefore Auto Pilot will disengaged to extend the range of the battery power. I've been known to be wrong once or twice a year but double check with Tesla.

Auto Pilot uses a lot of power, therefore Auto Pilot will disengaged to extend the range of the battery power

What..?? I know this is internet and anyone has a freedom to say anything.

AP does not use any significant power. The only argument one can make, in manual driving you can if you want to anticipate and hypermile and be very efficient. But AP is quite efficient in a lot of ways, in open highways. In stop and go traffic, manual driving can be a little bit more efficient.

I consistently hit less than 280 wh/mile using AP on highway driving at 70 mph and get more range than EPA rated range.

If you ignore the visual warning the first time it will beep you gently to put the hand on the wheel, which I am sure you did.

The next time around again if you ignore the visual warning it will beep again to remind you that you need to torque the wheel.

After that the next time if you ignore the visual warning - it won't beep. It will directly send you to jail with those red hands.

Basically it concludes that you are not a person to be trusted with AP.

In addition in this case you were accelerating manually and AP doesn't like that. Anytime when you override TACC with you pressing the accelerator, there will be a message to hold the wheel and after that straight to AP jail.
Yeah i'll need to try that. It's possible to be the cause as my camera didn't include the autopilot screen so I can't be sure... also I didn't go pass 90mph so that's not the case

I agree that you did encounter this situation but if I'm correct, your running low on battery power and I believe your X went into power save mode. Auto Pilot uses a lot of power, therefore Auto Pilot will disengaged to extend the range of the battery power. I've been known to be wrong once or twice a year but double check with Tesla.
I never knew that battery would be a concern for AP...

What..?? I know this is internet and anyone has a freedom to say anything.

AP does not use any significant power. The only argument one can make, in manual driving you can if you want to anticipate and hypermile and be very efficient. But AP is quite efficient in a lot of ways, in open highways. In stop and go traffic, manual driving can be a little bit more efficient.

I consistently hit less than 280 wh/mile using AP on highway driving at 70 mph and get more range than EPA rated range.
yeah I have the same impression.

I disagree. I don't think the power used by AP would cause any noticeable effect on range.