Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Was the initial 7.0 release "this bad"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I remember the pre 7.0 debate
-The clock belongs on the IC
-No the clock belongs on the 17" screen
-No the clock belongs on both
-No we need the time AND date on both
-No we need the time and date on only the IC
-No we need the time and date on only the 17"
-Where did the temp go to?
-Why isn't the day of the week included anywhere?

etc. etc. etc.

I must be easy to please, I liked 7.0/7.1, and I like 8.0. BUT a few things need to be better fine tuned.

I'm curious about the age distribution of those who like and don't like the new UI. My hypothesis is younger owners like it, older owners don't (by chronological age, not how long you've owned a Tesla). I put my 60 year old eyes in the later category. I find it much harder to use with a fraction of a second glance while driving, as I noted on another thread. This seems to be from a combination of thinner font, gray on white text, and flat design provides fewer visual clues.

For those of you who either like or dislike the new UI, does my age hypothesis hold?
I'm 71 and I adore it and did from the first day.

I'm curious about the age distribution of those who like and don't like the new UI. My hypothesis is younger owners like it, older owners don't (by chronological age, not how long you've owned a Tesla). I put my 60 year old eyes in the later category. I find it much harder to use with a fraction of a second glance while driving, as I noted on another thread. This seems to be from a combination of thinner font, gray on white text, and flat design provides fewer visual clues.

Late 40s here (wearing glasses with progressive, transition lenses). I've not had any particular issues with the 8.0 user interface elements, so I guess you can put me in the "like" category. (On the other hand, I'm not saying "ZOMG this is the most awesome thing I've ever seen" either.)

Bruce.

I find the AP to be completely broken on 8.0, quite clearly driving me off the highway multiple times before I decided to not use it again until I get a downgrade or a new build. Straight stretch of highway, clear visibility, no other cars and it just ping-pongs back and forth and I go off into the rumble strip. Never had trouble on this stretch of road before.

I tried it on some country roads that it used to work on, but they are too narrow for me to comfortably use AP anyway. It immediately went over the lines.

The 7.0 release was nothing like this.

As far as the UI about the music player... it's strange to me that they don't have enough room for most song's name, but its so minor compared to making me scared of the AP after trusting it for 20K miles...

While there are some areas where usability has improved with 8.0 - there are other areas where 8.0 is a significant step backward. While 7.0 had some issues, they were relatively small and few, compared to 8.0 (at least for non-AP functionality).

The usability of interface changes can be easily quantified - measuring the number of screen interactions and the amount of time required to perform operations.

Simple operations in 7.x now take much longer, requiring more screen interactions, and by increasing the amount of time required to do those interactions, it increases the risk of distracting the driver, while the car is in motion. This isn't just a convenience issue - it could be a safety risk.

For example, today I wanted to find a specific NFL game on XM radio. With 7.1, I could use the scroll wheel button to quickly go to XM radio, with one button press bring up the media player window, click to open the "media browser", listing in the XM station categories and quickly get to the list of NFL stations.

That same use case scenario is significantly more complicated with 8.0. You have to click the screen an extra time to even display the app menu bar, then open the media player. Then click on the radio tab - and then the XM button. But there's no easy way to bring up the "browser" list of the XM station categories. It took me 5 minutes (while the car was in motion on the highway) to hunt through the interface - and I eventually did something to bring up the XM radio category list.

There are similar problems in other areas with the user interface.

When I received my P85 in early 2013, Tesla had done a pretty good job in designing a simple and easy to use interface - that also looked great. While it lacked basic features (playlists, waypoints, ...), at least Tesla had implemented a consistent user interface, which was pretty intuitive in how to use it.

8.0 has broken that.

I've been responsible for major software systems - some more complex than the Model S/X software. Our quality assurance teams methodically tested in the user interfaces for those products - and a methodical evaluation of the 8.0 release would show multiple areas where the interface has degraded considerably over 7.0 - and probably would have justified delaying the release so that these user interface problems could be fixed, especially when they potentially impacted mission critical operations (such as driving a car).

We're planning to buy more Tesla cars in the next year or two - and I hope Tesla can quickly fix the problems introduced by 8.0, and take the steps necessary to avoid introducing this many problems in future releases.

Reactions: dgpcolorado
No software release is ever perfect no matter how much QA you do. It all comes down to priorities. Elon's priority was to get the improved radar safety system rolled out. UI issues can be fixed later on.
I agree, but if the QA team at any of the companies I worked in "released" (i.e. approved, didn't catch, etc.) any software with so many known easy-to-see bugs on the UI, they'd be replaced the next day.

No software release is ever perfect no matter how much QA you do. It all comes down to priorities. Elon's priority was to get the improved radar safety system rolled out. UI issues can be fixed later on.
There is no requirement that everything be released at once. If something important is ready to go and something less important is not, include the former and defer the latter. That's not exactly rocket science. Wait...

58 sun revolutions . On 8.0 I've noticed a few songs on Slacker cutting off with10-15 seconds of play and my 17 Inch display rebooted spontaneously yesterday. When I'm locked onto a car in front of me with TACC and they slow and then turn out of my lane, I really like that there is less of a pause before my car feels it can proceed and accelerates up to speed. (latency improved by 5x?) I love that my regenerative breaking is stronger now on my 90D, I no longer need to use my disc breaks leaving the Interstate, the regen stops me just great before I run out of exit ramp. I'm sure some fixes are on the way, Tesla aims to please and always has for me since 2013!

Last edited:
Reactions: Old Wyseguy

For those of you who either like or dislike the new UI, does my age hypothesis hold?

68 here and not liking the new UI as much as the older one.

Love Love LOVE V8!!! I don't listen to USB as I have a paid subscription to Slacker and set up my own playlists and favorites on a desktop or on my phone and then enjoy them in the car. There are a VERY few artist that Slacker doesn't have license to play but I can do without that very few. So UI interface wise and usability, I am FAR happier with V8 than 7.1.

As for A/P it is definitely and noticeably better.

Lane changing and lane keeping are much better and precise.
Stop and go traffic is much smoother and noticeably more how you might drive seeing several cars ahead and anticipating.
Nags are not even close to what was anticipated after listening to Elon's announcement.

I am most certainly in the "I Like Version 8 camp"

My only real complaint at all is the air flow is much lower at the same temps as before and I find myself lowering the cabin temperature by 3 degrees or so to get the same air flow as before.

58 sun revolutions . On 8.0 I've noticed a few songs on Slacker cutting off with10-15 seconds of play and my 17 Inch display rebooted spontaneously yesterday. When I'm locked onto a car in front of me with TACC and they slow and then turn out of my lane, I really like that there is less of a pause before my car feels it can proceed and accelerates up to speed. (latency improved by 5x?) I love that my regenerative breaking is stronger now on my 90D, I no longer need to use my disc breaks leaving the Interstate, the regen stops me just great before I run out of exit ramp. I'm sure some fixes are on the way, Tesla aims to please and always has for me since 2013!

Mine rebooted on its own yesterday as well around 1230PM EDT....