TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Was The Model 3 Originally Supposed to have Model S Style Door Handles?

Discussion in 'Model 3: Interior & Exterior' started by RC2785, Nov 24, 2019.

1. RC2785

RC2785 Member

Was re-watching the Model 3 unveil on YouTube and noticed that one of the Model 3's they used in the unveiling had Model S style door handles, but the other two had the regular Model 3 door handles, was this the first Model 3 they made before they decided to remove them on the other 2?
    [​IMG]

2. TMThree

TMThree Member

Nope, only one prototype had it.

What's surpsing to me is that CyberTruck has air suspension, self presenting doors and more. All high end options on Model S and lacking on 3/Y, yet Y's pricing for AWD is 2k more than CyberTruck, and with less range.

3. glide

glide Active Member

Cost benefit to having a unibody frame and no paint.

• Like x 2
    • Funny x 1
  4. N.Y.R.

N.Y.R. Member

Cybertruck makes massive sacrifices to get the cost low. And the design it not remotely final, it didn't even have side mirrors, by law, every car needs those in North America, they won't get away without them.

5. Matsayz

Matsayz Active Member

Agreed but by the time Tesla actually makes the truck the laws might change, being serious and giving sh*t to Tesla here. Audi wants their camera mirrors really bad and even headlight (lasers) laws are going to be changing.

By 2025 we’ll hopefully have some new laws/regulations in place for cars, EV or not.

• Like x 1
  6. joebruin77

joebruin77 Member

I personally am very glad we do not have the Model S type of door handles on our Model 3's. Uncle Rich from Rich Rebuilds youtube channel, the guy who repairs and restores salvaged Tesla Model S's, talked about how the Model 3 door handles are so much better because they will not break down. The Model S style handles are very prone to malfunctioning. The Model 3 door handles are much simpler and contain far fewer parts that are likely to break down. I hope to keep my P3D for 8 to 10 years, so I will take the manual door handles any day over the Model S handles.

• Like x 4
    • Love x 1
  7. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

The first Model X prototype shown had no side mirrors either. Elon clearly does not like them, but as you noted, the US DOT requires them. That could change in the future.

8. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

That was only one of several prototypes, and there is no way for anyone on TMC to know why Tesla decided not to go with that door handle style.

9. UTMB

UTMB Member

?
    I think that was pretty perceptive on RC2785’s part. The story is probably an interesting one, with a team facing a deadline and making one-off body panels, designing them by committee (or diktat). How did they fashion parallelogram holes in non-model S doors? Was this part of the car mostly made by hand in a machine shop, de novo, or did they use the same factory floor equipment?

I agree that the door handles on the Model 3 are more worry-free (but not foolproof, as evidenced during our surprise ice storm). Glad that I have them instead.

10. woodguyatl

woodguyatl Member

And no (limited) stamping for panels.

11. Knightshade

Knightshade Well-Known Member

NHTSA is already studying changing this- as some other countries already have... (Lexus and Audi at least have cars in consumers hands without mirrors in other countries already)

12. 03DSG

03DSG Active Member

This may change by the late ‘21 production.