TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Was the Model 3 shown yesterday the same as the red on stage on 3/31?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by McHoffa, Jul 27, 2016.

1. McHoffa

McHoffa Member

I assumed the red car shown yesterday was the same one we saw on stage on 3/31, but there are a couple minor design differences I noticed between the one we saw yesterday and the ones we've seen before now.

[​IMG]

First, the side mirrors are definitely angled down on the one at the gigafactory. Look at any of the pictures and you notice it right away. It's almost odd, but it does follow the curve that flows from the headlight to the A pillar.

Second, there is an obvious crease present below the headlights in all of the prototypes we've seen so far. This is not present on the gigafactory car. The other creases seem more subtle/rounded as well, but that COULD be lighting. The one below the doors stands out to me. Look right in front of the back wheel in both pictures.

2. garsh

garsh Re Member

Good eye on spotting the door crease differences.

As for the mirrors, I think they're just sagging because these are bad (and abused) prototype mirrors. Hopefully that will fixed for production.

3. Phthalate

Phthalate Member

Wow I get more and more excited for this car with every new photo I see of it.

• Like x 1
  4. contaygious

contaygious Active Member

Good call! Hope those mirrors arent actually sagging.....so weird

5. McHoffa

McHoffa Member

6. T3slaTulips

T3slaTulips Member

Yeah, crease is still up front and mirrors are not sagging. Top photo is just a weird angle. I think it's still the same car.

• Like x 1
  7. McHoffa

McHoffa Member

They actually looked like they angled slightly up at the reveal from that angle
    [​IMG]

But yeah, the crease is there. It just seems more subtle.

8. McHoffa

McHoffa Member

9. Dan Detweiler

Dan Detweiler Member

I'll take it...sagging mirrors and all!

Dan

• Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
  10. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

I think the red 3 at the reveal is likely the same red car as is currently shown at the Gigafactory but the side mirror position has definitely changed. I don't think that is due to wear and tear, as far as I know no one has even seen the red prototype move under its own power, and the side mirror angle is the sMe on both sides. Seem deliberate. It is possible that position reduces drag slightly, but it does look kind of weird. I hope the production cars don't look like that.

I will hopefully be viewing that red car up close this Friday when my wife and I are at the Gigafactory event. I will ask about the mirror angle. Don't expect to be able to find someone who will know anything about it, but you never know...

• Like x 1
  11. dandurston

dandurston Member

I think it's the same car. Some goof probably strapped the car down into a trailer with straps to the mirrors and ratcheted them down.

12. trils0n

trils0n 2013 P85

Looks like the same car to me. The creases are accentuated by the reveal event lighting (very little ambient light, lots of overhead light) vs the natural light of the gigafactory event photos.

13. Zaphod

Zaphod Galaxy President (former)

Pretty sure it's the same car. I saw posted in the Gigafactory thread that the mirrors are sagging due to the heat. I assume being a prototype they are made out of rapid prototype material or something other than metal that softened enough to droop.

14. flamingoezz

flamingoezz Member

not sure if it is the same car, but it looks much better in natural sunlight. actually considering red now.

15. T3slaTulips

T3slaTulips Member

I'm picturing this happening and my mind is crying out.. Noooooooo!!!!

16. p-f-g

p-f-g Member

• Helpful x 1
  17. Jester

Jester New Member

Perhaps the side mirrors come on and off because they are just dummy mirrors and the final production has none, but rather cameras. Hopefully, a HUD displays the side view on the windshield.

The prototype model X had no side mirrors...

I can dream.

• Funny x 1
  18. FredLambert

FredLambert Member

Not it was actually melting in the sun. that's why the side mirrors are down. They had to put a tent over it shortly after.

• Informative x 1
  19. Jester

Jester New Member

Could this be why Elon said it is like driving a Spaceship? I sure hope so.

20. SabrToothSqrl

SabrToothSqrl Active Member

Sagging side mirrors make it look sad :( Not ugly, but like the car is sad. which makes me sad. Level mirrors look strong.