Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Was the Model 3 shown yesterday the same as the red on stage on 3/31?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I assumed the red car shown yesterday was the same one we saw on stage on 3/31, but there are a couple minor design differences I noticed between the one we saw yesterday and the ones we've seen before now.

QkmnKHq.jpg

First, the side mirrors are definitely angled down on the one at the gigafactory. Look at any of the pictures and you notice it right away. It's almost odd, but it does follow the curve that flows from the headlight to the A pillar.

Second, there is an obvious crease present below the headlights in all of the prototypes we've seen so far. This is not present on the gigafactory car. The other creases seem more subtle/rounded as well, but that COULD be lighting. The one below the doors stands out to me. Look right in front of the back wheel in both pictures.

First, the side mirrors are definitely angled down on the one at the gigafactory. Look at any of the picture
I think the red 3 at the reveal is likely the same red car as is currently shown at the Gigafactory but the side mirror position has definitely changed. I don't think that is due to wear and tear, as far as I know no one has even seen the red prototype move under its own power, and the side mirror angle is the sMe on both sides. Seem deliberate. It is possible that position reduces drag slightly, but it does look kind of weird. I hope the production cars don't look like that.

I will hopefully be viewing that red car up close this Friday when my wife and I are at the Gigafactory event. I will ask about the mirror angle. Don't expect to be able to find someone who will know anything about it, but you never know...

Reactions: Falkirk
Pretty sure it's the same car. I saw posted in the Gigafactory thread that the mirrors are sagging due to the heat. I assume being a prototype they are made out of rapid prototype material or something other than metal that softened enough to droop.

Perhaps the side mirrors come on and off because they are just dummy mirrors and the final production has none, but rather cameras. Hopefully, a HUD displays the side view on the windshield.

The prototype model X had no side mirrors...

I can dream.

• Funny
Reactions: SW2Fiddler