TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Was the Model 3 Trunk Opening Changed at All?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by mdevp, Oct 29, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Zaphod

Zaphod Galaxy President (former)

I'm sure any of the items you mention will be no problem with the opening size.

• Like x 4
  2. stopcrazypp

stopcrazypp Well-Known Member

I had the same thought. I think the second split is just to mirror the charge port door as you noted. If you look at the protoypes, the charge port door had the same seam:
    [​IMG]

3. McHoffa

McHoffa EV.network

I think this IS one of the original prototypes with AP2 cameras added. There is nothing else different from this car and the first prototypes we saw a year ago.

I think he's fooling us. We get down about this being final and then they roll out the real finished product.

4. alseTrick

alseTrick Active Member

Ditto. No way any of that won't fit.

5. bro1999

bro1999 Active Member

Hey, if the relatively small trunk opening of the Model 3 doesn't let you fit in bigger items, you guys can pick up a used "beater" Bolt next year to handle such utility runs to fit in bulky items. Since most 3 reservation holders won't get their 3 until probably 2nd half of next year at the earliest anyways, there should be some used '17 Bolts available by then. 56.6 cubic feet of space with the rear seats down. ;)

6. Weezer Fan

Weezer Fan Member

Actually, (besides being an EV), the usable space in the back of this vehicle is the only thing I like about it. It's tall, but not very horizontally deep.

7. Garlan Garner

Garlan Garner Banned

Looks like they inserted the charge port.

8. McHoffa

McHoffa EV.network

If the new seam in the taillight is for a new opening, this is how it would look
    [​IMG]

• Informative x 5
    • Helpful x 3
    • Funny x 3
  9. Zaphod

Zaphod Galaxy President (former)

No way it will be like that. That is an engineering and manufacturing nightmare. Plus, it doesn't address the primary concern of the opening, which was the height, not the width.

The new seam on the passenger side is just a design element to mimic the charge port opening on the driverside. Or there could possibly be charge ports on either side, but I am almost certain it has nothing to do with the trunk opening.

• Like x 5
  10. North75

North75 Member

Yes.. Nice render though. It shows just how ridiculous that idea would have been.

• Like x 6
  11. BluestarE3

BluestarE3 Active Member

I'm pretty sure that's exactly the point @McHoffa was making with that render.

EDIT: @North75 beat me to it!

• Like x 1
  12. Garlan Garner

Garlan Garner Banned

I like it.

• Funny x 2
  13. AnxietyRanger

AnxietyRanger Well-Known Member

Good point about the charge port. It certainly seems possible what we think is a part of the trunk opening, is actually just a charge port opening.

However, it still seems possible extending towards the sides and making the interior parts of the trunk corners a little smaller perhaps downwards as well could be in the books. Here is a less extreme mock-up of @McHoffa 's inspired thinking...

Not pictured here, but they might also shorten the big rear window a bit to add a little height as well?

model3_trunk.jpg

14. quartzav

quartzav Member

I agree shortened rear big window is the most likely way to increase the opening height. I just can't see that from the sighting pictures though.

15. S3XY

S3XY Active Member

#35 S3XY, Apr 8, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2017
    I wonder if they just found a way to narrow the inner lower sill to make the opening slightly bigger without changing the exterior at all. It wouldn't make a huge difference but would technically make Elon's statement that the small opening was "fixed". One thing I just realized is that the trunk interior will be larger than most sedans just from the fact that the trunk hinge/arm doesn't retract into the trunk when it's closed.

16. Gen3Joe

Gen3Joe Member

#36 Gen3Joe, Apr 8, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2017
    They definitely DID change the rear of the car presumably to accommodate more trunk space. It went from "damn that looks hot" to "can I trade this mini X in for my mini S". The proportions are all off now and the car is left looking bloated and very unsporty.

See the direct side shot of the rear end from here:
    TESLARATI.com

...and compare it to the one from here:
    Tesla Model 3: Will it Be a Good Family Car? - Motor Trend

Edit: maybe definitely did is a little too strong. I'm hoping beyond hope that this is some trick of camera distortion that is there in every new spy shot of the car. It's not looking good for this hope though given what I'm seeing.

17. NeverFollow

NeverFollow Active Member

I agree, shortening a little bit the rear window would also allow to
    wider the opening and ease integrating all the rear lights to the hatch.

See comparison with Audi Q5/Q7.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like x 1
  18. slipnslider

slipnslider Member

How am I supposed to fit a medium stroller into that trunk?

I could do it with the volt hatchback, but I guess Musk doesn't think people should have babies.

Tiny trunk opening = no strollers = no sales to young families.

That combined with the needlessly radical dashboard are pushing me towards cancellation.

• Like x 3
    • Disagree x 2
  19. pkulak

pkulak Member

Visibility, Aerodynamics, Cargo

Pick two. I'm fine with visibility and aero. And if you can afford a car like this, you can afford a decent stroller that folds nicely.

Just some examples:

2,3 = S,X
    1,2 = 3
    1,3 = minivan

• Like x 3
  20. garsh

garsh Re Member

By sliding it in. It's not that small of an opening.
    People who can't figure out how to put a stroller into a trunk probably shouldn't have babies. :D

• Funny x 4
    • Like x 3