TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Was there an update to the touchscreen when the car is in reverse?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by BBB4000, Jan 31, 2017.

Tags:
  1. BBB4000

BBB4000 Member

I just upgraded to 17.3.15 over the weekend and I swear there has been a change to the display on the touchscreen when I am in reverse. But I am not actually sure. The backup camera is on half the screen and a birdseye picture of the car is on the other half of the screen. Was the birdseye graphic of the car always there?

On a side note..I really hope that they enable a real birdseye camera view. The hardware is there for it and this feature is found on pretty much all other luxury vehicles.

Attached Files:

2. MoonChou

MoonChou Member

For me it's been that way since getting the car at ver 8 in OCT '16.

• Informative x 1
  3. Maximapolak

Maximapolak Member

You probably hit the little "Traffic Cone" icon when reversing.

• Like x 2
  4. lunitiks

lunitiks ˭ ˭ ʽʽʽʽʽʽʽʽʽ ʭ ʼʼʼʼʼʼʼʼʼ ˭ ˭

Yeah it's been there forever

5. lkuntz

lkuntz Member

It hasn't always been like that for me, but it was this morning. I'm still on 2.52.120, though, and there was no upgrade to signal the change, so is there a setting somewhere? Previously, the navigation screen was on top and the rear view camera was on the bottom. The birdseye view was only in the instrument cluster.

6. BBB4000

BBB4000 Member

Agreed. That's what I remember as well. There is a traffic cone icon on the rear view camera screen that enables the birdseye view.

7. lkuntz

lkuntz Member

I don't remember seeing the traffic cone and certainly don't remember pressing it. How do you switch it back?

8. f-stop

f-stop Member

yes, that's one way to bring up this view, aka Park Assist view

but it might also appear like this when just normally reversing, depending on what you had displayed on the 17" screen at the time.

When you put the car in reverse ...

A) if you did NOT have the rear camera view already displayed anywhere on the 17" screen, then you'll see the rear camera view on top half and the Park Assist view on bottom half of the 17" screen

B) if you already had the rear camera view displayed anywhere on the 17" screen, then you won't see Park Assist view on the 17" screen while you're reversing

and yes, it's been this way since at least 7.0, perhaps earlier

when in Drive at low speed (<5mph/8kph) with the camera view displayed, you'll get the traffic cone icon near top left of the camera view. Touching that icon turns on "Park Assist" ie that overhead view on the 17" screen.

If that's how you turned on Park Assist view then there'll be an "X" in top left to turn it off. Or i believe it also goes away automatically if your speed increases above 5mph

9. Dithermaster

Dithermaster Member

It's only displaying information from the ultrasonic sensors and not the 360 degree HW2 cameras. It would be nice if they added live video from the camera (warped appropriately for the birds-eye-view).

10. Hugh Mannity

Hugh Mannity Mediocre Member

Not just luxury vehicles. My 2013 Leaf had it; very handy.

11. Reekdog

Reekdog Member

Close the backup camera image by pressing the X in the corner. Whenever you put your car in reverse there's a little gray traffic cone icon in the upper left corner of the backup image. When you press it you get the split screen and can see your sensor/impact readings easier. I use it all the time.

12. lkuntz

lkuntz Member

Thanks. Closing the backup camera w/park assist view doesn't revert to the way it used to be, with navigation on top and camera on the bottom. I had never previously seen the traffic cone icon, so something obviously changed for me at some point. It's not a big deal, just a bit puzzling.

13. lunitiks

lunitiks ˭ ˭ ʽʽʽʽʽʽʽʽʽ ʭ ʼʼʼʼʼʼʼʼʼ ˭ ˭

Might have changed for you (unlikely), but I'll testify that I've seen that orange cone since I took delivery of my AP1 S in the summer of 2015