Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Was there Model X 70D before?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am not to sure if it existed briefly. I checked the Wikipedia and it showed Model X 70D with the weight of 2,300 kg vs. X 75D with the weight of 2,330 kg. It sounds like 75D is 30 kg heavier?

If that is true, that means 70D was not necessarily the software locked.

First of all, I didn't even know X 70D existed!

I have driven last 3 years and saw countless Model X's, but I have never seen X 70D badge. I did see few X 60D badges which I know lasted only 3 months and has software locked 75D.

Is there anyone here who owns 70D or knows someone who has 70D?

How do these pictures explain? Was it introduced as 70D but Tesla just changed to 75D before 70D was released?
upload_2018-9-23_22-42-44.png

Here is an interesting seller:
Used Tesla Model X For Sale - CarGurus

Attachments

• upload_2018-9-23_22-42-16.png
    upload_2018-9-23_22-42-16.png
    88.5 KB · Views: 76
  • upload_2018-9-23_22-43-45.png
    upload_2018-9-23_22-43-45.png
    372.5 KB · Views: 45
Reactions: MorrisonHiker
There were a few X85D. They had 85kWh batt software-locked to 75kWh, which could be unlocked to the full 85kWh.

Interesting. Are they same batteries that got sold to Europe? I remember reading the thread that several Model S owners in Europe got 85 batteries even though they purchased 75.

I believe Tesla never issued X 85D badge if that happened.

I have never seen X 85D, let alone X 70D. As for S 70/70D, I used to see many of those before, but I see fewer these days.

...I remember reading the thread that several Model S owners in Europe got 85 batteries even though they purchased 75...
Model S cars with these 400v 85kWh batteries came with battery code BTX8 and have never been software unlocked from 75kWh. We have seen an X with this battery in the forum or the performance metrics, but they do exist in the ev-cpo archive

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Maximilien
Tesla did introduce it with a 70 option but they never produced any of them, just like the SAS option.

I think you meant non-SAS or coil spring suspension. All X's came with the Smart Air Suspension.

But there's a slew of things that were intended that didn't work out as planned. Some were due to build inconsistency, some where due to plain out not being offered. A couple more off the top of my head.

- The "Accessory Hitch" was supposed to be a 1.5" hitch; but they all came with 2" hitches. Tow package became software.
- P90DLs required a hardware upgrade on the fuse, but some had them already. Ludicrous became software.
- Only the P's were supposed to have adjustable rear wings, but some 90Ds had them.
- Only P's were supposed to have red brakes, but some others had them.

Back then (2 years ago) it's almost as if they occasionally ran out of parts and grabbed whatever they had to get the car together...

There was never a 70D, but there was a 60D that they discontinued pretty quickly. It was basically a 75D with a software limitation. Xed Out: Tesla Discontinues 200-Mile Base Model X 60D

Thanks for the confirmation.

Yeah, I know 60D's because I was contemplating back in 2016 whether I should get Model X 60D or S 60D. I almost triggered X 60D purchase and then I got dismayed when it got discontinued. I remember the software locked Model X 60D lasted only like 3-4 months. And I couldn't order it and end up going with S 60D, which I upgraded to 75D with $2000 year after or so.

Is Model X still $4,500 for upgrading the battery or did they lower to like Model S $2,000?

I also hear the rumor that people get the free battery upgrade 60 to 75 if they bring the car into SC.

Thanks for the confirmation.

Yeah, I know 60D's because I was contemplating back in 2016 whether I should get Model X 60D or S 60D. I almost triggered X 60D purchase and then I got dismayed when it got discontinued. I remember the software locked Model X 60D lasted only like 3-4 months. And I couldn't order it and end up going with S 60D, which I upgraded to 75D with $2000 year after or so.

Is Model X still $4,500 for upgrading the battery or did they lower to like Model S $2,000?

I also hear the rumor that people get the free battery upgrade 60 to 75 if they bring the car into SC.

$4500. People have gotten a “free” upgrades as compensation in cases where goodwill was needed. (Ie, multiple return trips for build quality)

$4500. People have gotten a “free” upgrades as compensation in cases where goodwill was needed. (Ie, multiple return trips for build quality)

That's interesting. I thought by now, Tesla would lower it to $2,000 like Model S.

The Model X used to be $13,000 more expensive than Model S for the same battery and similar spec in 2016. Now it is only like $3,000 difference. I thought that by now, the the upgrade battery cost would come down to something like $2,000~$3,000.

I wonder why Tesla discriminate Model X customers.

I am not to sure if it existed briefly. I checked the Wikipedia and it showed Model X 70D with the weight of 2,300 kg vs. X 75D with the weight of 2,330 kg. It sounds like 75D is 30 kg heavier?

If that is true, that means 70D was not necessarily the software locked.

First of all, I didn't even know X 70D existed!

I have driven last 3 years and saw countless Model X's, but I have never seen X 70D badge. I did see few X 60D badges which I know lasted only 3 months and has software locked 75D.

Is there anyone here who owns 70D or knows someone who has 70D?

The original specs for the Model X was for a 70D, but they discontinued the 70 KWH pack before the smaller battery X went into production.

The weight difference between the 70 and 75 pack was because of the different number of cells in each module, the 75KWh pack was the first small pack to have the same number of cells per module as the large pack. This is information I've gleaned about the different generations of the 18650 packs. The Model 3 is a different animal with a different cell and different pack design. It doesn't look like Tesla will ever make a small pack with the 100 KWH module. There has been some noise the small pack for the S/X will be discontinued at the end of this year.

TeslaBatteryGenerations_17111.jpg