Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Was this lane blocking?...(Video)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

sorka

Feb 28, 2015
Merced, CA
Happened to me on my way to work yesterday morning in my P85DL. I only ever had one other car in 33 years of driving try to prevent me from passing by lane blocking.

The only reason I can think that they did this is that they were pissed at me for honking when the stopped in the lane after traffic ahead cleared. He signaled left as though he was going to get into the other lane and then he stopped so I don't think he was spacing out or looking at his phone.

At 0:50 they had their left turn signal on so it looks like then were looking to merge to the left. You honked after they were stopped for six seconds. Really? Traffic was stopped at the light in front of both of you. I'm betting that given a few more seconds they would have seen you and moved.

Two wrongs don't make a right. Looks like both of you had inappropriate driving behavior at one point or another.

But three lefts do.

I have little tolerance for people who miss their turn and decide it's perfectly fine to inconvenience everyone else around them, particularly when resolving their problem simply involves turning around at the next street/exit up.

At 0:50 they had their left turn signal on so it looks like then were looking to merge to the left. You honked after they were stopped for six seconds. Really? Traffic was stopped at the light in front of both of you. I'm betting that given a few more seconds they would have seen you and moved.

Look at the video again. There was nobody in front of him for 150 feet when I have him a tripple tap. It's bit like I gave a long angry honk. I gave him a hey, wake up honk.

And traffic was not stopped in the right only turn lane. It was in the lane to the left.

But ok, so you're opinion is that he was justified in pulling that crazy stunt to get back at me.

Last edited:
Reactions: MrJones390
Alot of people take getting honked at very badly, I'm not sure why. He certainly was trying to block you, and was being a jerk, but you should have just left him be. When you did pass him it looks like he tried to block you again, if he had gone a bit farther you would have gotten hit. Sure it would have been his fault, but even if he was calm and accepted responsibility it would still have sucked for you. More likely he would have been all raging and it could have gotten ugly.

The guy blocking you once to make a point, maybe... but the 3 or more times he aggressively blocked and could have hit you? Sorry, totally unacceptable. Yes it would have been his fault, but you would have had a f'd up car. Not worth it. I have a hard time not giving these type of drivers the finger at the least. That is probably not smart as that always seems to escalate things. Why people that KNOW the did something wrong/incosiderate flip out when you honk? If I'm honked at for rarely doing something, I accept it and usually try and give them I'm sorry wave. Some drivers I see around me drive so carelessly I feel like they need a horn to enforce the fact they are doing it wrong over and over and maybe they will wake up. That seldom works either and I get the finger or f u mouthed at me.

All the more reason I have a dashcam running. I swear I only have about a 2 mile commute to work, but in that short time I daily have 2 or 3 instances where other drivers do insane things or tailgate like no other. That is a real per peeve of mine. Tailgate me while I'm doing the speed limit or over and you are going to get mildly brake checked. It you still wont back off I either stop and let them pass or slow down and go 5-10 under the speed limit until they are able to pass. I failed anger management classes obviously.

Alot of people take getting honked at very badly, I'm not sure why. He certainly was trying to block you, and was being a jerk, but you should have just left him be. When you did pass him it looks like he tried to block you again, if he had gone a bit farther you would have gotten hit. Sure it would have been his fault, but even if he was calm and accepted responsibility it would still have sucked for you. More likely he would have been all raging and it could have gotten ugly.

Yes in fact, he tried twice more but I didn't try to pass him again, but he was shadowing me up ahead to make sure that he changed lanes into the lane that I was in. This went on for about a mile but at that point it was just him, not me. I was already beating myself up for passing him the first time. Just because I could doesn't mean I should so I wasn't going to fall into again.

California is comparative fault. If he'd hit me, I wouldn't have been assigned zero blame because the insurance investigator would have said that I'd have had indication before that the other guy was nuts and that I should have simply kept my distance which I didn't. *this*, not the horn honking, is where I agree I had behavior that could have contributed to a bad situation getting worse.

Yes in fact, he tried twice more but I didn't try to pass him again, but he was shadowing me up ahead to make sure that he changed lanes into the lane that I was in. This went on for about a mile but at that point it was just him, not me. I was already beating myself up for passing him the first time. Just because I could doesn't mean I should so I wasn't going to fall into again.
Sorka, I'm sorry for your experience. Yes, he was definitely being a jerk. However, your subsequent passing maneuver was stupid and dangerous which you clearly realized after the fact. We've all been there. It was reflex. Thankfully, he didn't cut left into you. Remember, that's a pretty powerful and expensive car you're driving. I drive like I bicycle. I don't care if the other person is right/wrong/idiot/saint. I just do everything possible to make sure we don't hit because I'm the one who would end in a world of pain (financial or otherwise).