Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Was Told Flat White Is Coming (Replace Multicoat)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey Guys -

I'm brand new here obviously. I just ordered a Model 3 Performance last night and I was stuck between the red or white color. The salesperson at the Tesla store told me that Tesla was currently giving the Pearl Multicoat as the standard while they settled on a 'flat white' color, which won't be multicoat: making this effectively a 'free' upgrade right now for those who want a white M3.

I saw on one of the price-change threads some discussion about why the white was included now, even though it's a more expensive pain job; I suspect this is the reason.

You did see Elon’s tweet about having another white color would be too complex/added cost for the paint shop? Why would that change?

Yeah, Pearl White is more expensive but I can see adding a whole new color to the mix would also be a large change. Think he was just delaying things?

• Informative
Reactions: neroden
@OCR - It is rumored that the black resulted in a lot of paint defect related returns an/or warranty claims. Tesla also puts a lot of time trying to polishing these up as they leave the factory - which apparently was costly and not necessarily required on the other colors. White hides a lot of sins - hence the change to white.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden and dmurphy
You did see Elon’s tweet about having another white color would be too complex/added cost for the paint shop? Why would that change?

Yeah, Pearl White is more expensive but I can see adding a whole new color to the mix would also be a large change. Think he was just delaying things?

I didn't see that. The salesman told me a flat white would replace the pearl white. It's totally possible he's misinformed, this is just one datapoint.

• Informative
@OCR - It is rumored that the black resulted in a lot of paint defect related returns an/or warranty claims. Tesla also puts a lot of time trying to polishing these up as they leave the factory - which apparently was costly and not necessarily required on the other colors. White hides a lot of sins - hence the change to white.

My thoughts entirely. Even a base white would also need a bit of attention. The pearlized coating hides a lot.... This actually makes a bunch of sense to me, and frankly, is one of the reasons MY Model 3 is pearl white. I appreciate the ease of maintenance on the pearl white color - our last several cars have all been the same. I've never done the PPF or film stuff, and all of them still looked great after years of abuse. I'm one of those "I'll wash it when I get around to it" kind of people, and the tricoat white really does hold up well, whether it's our Teslas or Cadillacs or Buicks ....

When I buy a car, it's to drive it, not as a museum piece. I'll drive it, it's going to get nicks and dings and stuff - just the nature of the beast. Then, someday, I'll get another car and start the process over again. Circle of life.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden and jebinc
My thoughts entirely. ....

When I buy a car, it's to drive it, not as a museum piece. I'll drive it, it's going to get nicks and dings and stuff - just the nature of the beast. Then, someday, I'll get another car and start the process over again. Circle of life.

Can you hear the music? Well, can you??? :p

circle.jpg

My thoughts entirely. Even a base white would also need a bit of attention. The pearlized coating hides a lot.... This actually makes a bunch of sense to me, and frankly, is one of the reasons MY Model 3 is pearl white. I appreciate the ease of maintenance on the pearl white color - our last several cars have all been the same. I've never done the PPF or film stuff, and all of them still looked great after years of abuse. I'm one of those "I'll wash it when I get around to it" kind of people, and the tricoat white really does hold up well, whether it's our Teslas or Cadillacs or Buicks ....

I cleaned my car exterior today and found a few rock chips on the bumper.
I would like to use touch up paint for them.
What I noticed is that on BMW's the paint just falls off when rock hits the bumper creating a black spot with flat paint edges around the chip.
But on my Tesla, the chips are like microscopic craters. The paint is almost like vinyl layer with a lot of flexibility.
A couple of larger rock chips still have vinyl dragged on the surface for about 1.5mm and have wrinkles.

• Informative
Flat white?
I cleaned my car exterior today and found a few rock chips on the bumper.
I would like to use touch up paint for them.
What I noticed is that on BMW's the paint just falls off when rock hits the bumper creating a black spot with flat paint edges around the chip.
But on my Tesla, the chips are like microscopic craters. The paint is almost like vinyl layer with a lot of flexibility.
A couple of larger rock chips still have vinyl dragged on the surface for about 1.5mm and have wrinkles.

are you sure that's a rock chip and not someone lightly love tapping your car with their license plate screws?