Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Washed my car and the windshield cracked?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I pulled the 3 out to wash it before watching the event on autonomy this afternoon and the dang windshield cracked when I sprayed it with water...

Has this happened to anyone else?

upload_2019-4-22_14-55-53.png

Exact same thing happened to me this weekend and in almost the same place--luckily just a little to the left of yours so the AP camera should not be affected.

After some Googling, it appears the root cause is likely to be a stress fracture within the glass caused by improper installation (an overtightened bolt somewhere, for instance), brought to the breaking point by a sudden temperature change.

The good news: it's under warranty since it wasn't caused by an impact (and in SC, any glass damage is 100% covered by insurance anyway)

The bad news: windshield is backordered for "a few weeks" and I have to take it 100 miles to the nearest service center because mobile service doesn't do windshields. Boo.

I agree, it looks like an impact chip right at the top. What strikes me is the way the crack propagated. Normally a single crack will travel, it might meander... but not split like that.
Radiating in two separate directions, almost a mirror of each other. That suggests to me there was stress inherent in the glass, concentrated in the center. Just a guess.
Can't tell from the picture, but from how small it appears I am surprised that small a ding resulted in that. That would support my hypothesis that there was stress in the unit, and the mild thermal shock of the water released the stress at the only weak point in the surface.

Think about how a glass cutter works. A small deviation in the near perfectly homogeneous surface focuses any force applied on that minor imperfection.

This is a replacement windshield that was replaced at a service center because the body shop scratched the factory windshield. (They actually scratched every single piece of glass on the car fixing delivery defects and every single piece of glass had to be replaced.)

It looks like there may be a little spec the size of a pencil tip in the crack towards the top of it.

I am wondering if their installation had the glass under stress. Never heard of a windshield on a car with 4k miles on it cracking so easily.

I've had this happen to my Land Rover. Washed the car in the hot sun and windshield cracked. Took it in to the dealer and they pointed out a small chip in the windshield on the crack.
Looks like your windshield has three or four chips. One of them is on the crack. All it takes is a small chip to weaken the glass then some stress like temperature change from washing.

I've had this happen to my Land Rover. Washed the car in the hot sun and windshield cracked. Took it in to the dealer and they pointed out a small chip in the windshield on the crack.
Looks like your windshield has three or four chips. One of them is on the crack. All it takes is a small chip to weaken the glass then some stress like temperature change from washing.
There is pollen on the car so it may look like chips. There does look like one at the top of the crack though.

Reactions: Tron 3
All windshield are tempered and under stress. If you get a tiny impact that can become a point to release all that tension and crack.

Most common instigator of crack will be a car under stress where the frame torques or hitting a hot windshield in the sun with cold water.

This not just a Tesla thing, but common with all cars.
I think only the side windows are tempered. Tempered glass cracks into a million pieces so it wouldn't be safe for a windshield. The windshield is laminate (it has a plastic layer in between two layers of glass.)
A quick temperature change can definitely cause a crack to spread.

A Land Rover?

That's the official opposite of a Tesla. LOL

• Funny
Reactions: mspohr
For those with the Crack windshields, what were the build dates? Hoping they figured this problem already at the plant already.
This one was built Aug 2018, but the windshield was replaced already due to Tesla contracted body shop damage in October.

I thought that "Tesla glass" was suppose to be virtually indestructible. Is that only for the Tesla Semi?
It did not make it into this 3, but yes I heard that too.