Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Washing Car - Auto Window Movement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I'm washing my car I find it challenging to get the bottom part of the windows clean since they "auto-crack" (or whatever it's called, when they lower an inch or so for air pressure relief when closing the doors). Particularly the drivers door since I'm always getting back in the car after a wash to put it in the garage. Windows are nice and clean, then if you open a door the windows lower slightly and deposit water along the bottom inch of the window. I guess the solution is to wait until the very end to do windows but is there any way to turn off that feature temporarily?

When I'm washing my car I find it challenging to get the bottom part of the windows clean since they "auto-crack" (or whatever it's called, when they lower an inch or so for air pressure relief when closing the doors). Particularly the drivers door since I'm always getting back in the car after a wash to put it in the garage. Windows are nice and clean, then if you open a door the windows lower slightly and deposit water along the bottom inch of the window. I guess the solution is to wait until the very end to do windows but is there any way to turn off that feature temporarily?
Problem with turning it off is the doors can't open properly with the windows all the way up. The only other option is to turn it off with the windows part way down which I believe is easy, if you lower the windows a bit they won't move when opening the doors. of course you also can't clean the bottom strip that way.

There's really no good solution....

I could come up with an awkward one that would work though.... leave the doors closed, enter/exit the vehicle through the liftgate, and don't open a door or lower a window until the vehicle is completely dry. Don't really advocate this, but I really can't come up with any other way that wouldn't cause an issue.

I don't think you would want to turn off that feature of the auto-window on door opening. The reason they have that feature is because the window will not clear the brightwork trim piece on the top without the window lowering a small amount. Additionally, when you close the door, the window will raise back up into a sealed position behind the brightwork.

I was thinking the same thing, until I realized WHY the window moves when opening and closing the doors.