Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Washing Car w/Ceramic Coating

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Generally you dont wanna put anything ‘lesser’ on top of the coating. It won’t hurt it but the surface will take on the characteristics of what’s on top as opposed to those of the coating.

With hydrophobics/self cleaning being one of the greatest benefits of the coating, covering them up is kinda a step backwards.

Same theory w things like ONR and Wolfgang Uber Rinseless which contain polymers/gloss enhancers that will mask the inherent properties of the coating. I think McKees 37 914 is a ‘pure’ rinseless if you’re looking for one. Dunno for sure as I’m not a waterless/rinseless guy.

That’s the theory anyway and it makes sense if you want to completely optimize all the good aspects of the coating.

For our coated cars I generally use Gyeon Bathe, CarPro Reset or Kamikaze Shampoo which are 'pure' shampoos that contain no waxes, sealants, gloss enhancers or polymers.

Even with a pressure washer and foam cannon to get the surface completely clean you'll have to agitate/touch the surface.

As for air drying, its the safest, most complete way to dry the car. After pondering many air dryers in the past I went with a BigBoi unit as it was the best built and had the most trouble free hose...best detailing 'thing' I've spent money on.

End of the day though, you're installer is the best source of maintenance information...he's the one that will be keeping your warranty (if you have one) valid so his advice is the safest.

Generally you dont wanna put anything ‘lesser’ on top of the coating. It won’t hurt it but the surface will take on the characteristics of what’s on top as opposed to those of the coating.

With hydrophobics/self cleaning being one of the greatest benefits of the coating, covering them up is kinda a step backwards.

Same theory w things like ONR and Wolfgang Uber Rinseless which contain polymers/gloss enhancers that will mask the inherent properties of the coating. I think McKees 37 914 is a ‘pure’ rinseless if you’re looking for one. Dunno for sure as I’m not a waterless/rinseless guy.

That’s the theory anyway and it makes sense if you want to completely optimize all the good aspects of the coating.

For our coated cars I generally use Gyeon Bathe, CarPro Reset or Kamikaze Shampoo which are 'pure' shampoos that contain no waxes, sealants, gloss enhancers or polymers.

Even with a pressure washer and foam cannon to get the surface completely clean you'll have to agitate/touch the surface.

As for air drying, its the safest, most complete way to dry the car. After pondering many air dryers in the past I went with a BigBoi unit as it was the best built and had the most trouble free hose...best detailing 'thing' I've spent money on.

End of the day though, you're installer is the best source of maintenance information...he's the one that will be keeping your warranty (if you have one) valid so his advice is the safest.

This is the guy who’s website I posted earlier - he has probably spent more on coatings than some professional detailers!!!

Welcome to the forum!

I have my 3 ceramic coated and am trying to wash it with a foam gun. I got Carpro Reset, but it doesn't foam up with suds as much as I'd like in the gun. Any suggestions on an alternate soap to use on the gun? My installer actually recommended Mr. Pink, but I read that is not good for ceramic coatings...

I have my 3 ceramic coated and am trying to wash it with a foam gun. I got Carpro Reset, but it doesn't foam up with suds as much as I'd like in the gun. Any suggestions on an alternate soap to use on the gun? My installer actually recommended Mr. Pink, but I read that is not good for ceramic coatings...

Foam gun or foam cannon? With a foam gun you’re not really going to get any real foam. If you want real foam you’re gonna have to get a pressure washer and foam cannon. I use Adams regular car shampoo and get a nice foam with the pf22 foam cannon and kranzle k1122tst.

I have used a foam gun and had no problems getting plenty of foam. So I don't think you need to run out and buy a foam cannon/pressure washer just to get more foam. I have gotten plenty of foam and suds using Chemical Guys Honeydew Snow Foam Shampoo and even just Meguiars Gold Class Shampoo.

For a car with a ceramic coating, I would probably suggest using a shampoo that is infused with SiO2 in the soap itself. For example, makers of The Last Coat 2.0 also make a great ceramic-infused soap called The Last Soap:

Or another example would be this ceramic-infused soap from Chemical Guys:

HydroSuds High-Gloss Hyper Foaming SiO2 Ceramic Car Wash Soap |

• Informative
Reactions: Litigate28
I have used a foam gun and had no problems getting plenty of foam. So I don't think you need to run out and buy a foam cannon/pressure washer just to get more foam. I have gotten plenty of foam and suds using Chemical Guys Honeydew Snow Foam Shampoo and even just Meguiars Gold Class Shampoo.

For a car with a ceramic coating, I would probably suggest using a shampoo that is infused with SiO2 in the soap itself. For example, makers of The Last Coat 2.0 also make a great ceramic-infused soap called The Last Soap:

Or another example would be this ceramic-infused soap from Chemical Guys:

HydroSuds High-Gloss Hyper Foaming SiO2 Ceramic Car Wash Soap |
I like the Chemical Guys Hydrosuds soap, it smells really nice and foams nicely. I wish the Turtle Wax Ceramic soap would be "ok" to use in a foam cannon, you CAN use it, it just doesn't suds up much, even in a bucket it doesn't foam much.

I foam the car with the Hydrosuds then 2-bucket wash with the Turtle Wax Ceramic Wash.

To simplify things you could go with "Opti-coat No Rinse" washing and leave your foam gun, 2 buckets, and potential water spots behind, all in less time. Just an alternative to consider.

What about fast/spot cleaning? I realize products line ONR make it fast, but still requires a bucket of water. I talking about daily touchups for road dust and/or dirty spray on the rear quarter panel.

I'm looking for a spray on to the car and microfiber towel, a fast wipe followed by drying with a clean, dry towel. I've seen many recommendations about Aero Cosmetics products. Are these good for cars with Ceramic Pro coatings? Any others?

What about fast/spot cleaning? I realize products line ONR make it fast, but still requires a bucket of water. I talking about daily touchups for road dust and/or dirty spray on the rear quarter panel.

I'm looking for a spray on to the car and microfiber towel, a fast wipe followed by drying with a clean, dry towel. I've seen many recommendations about Aero Cosmetics products. Are these good for cars with Ceramic Pro coatings? Any others?
Turtle Wax makes a 3-in-1 Ceramic Spray detailer that can be used.

If you have ONR, it can be used as a quick detailer. You just have to use it at a higher dilution ratio:

ONR Quick Detailer: ratio 1:16

If you want a dedicated ceramic detail spray, I use and highly recommend:

Technicians Choice Ceramic Detail Spray.
https://www.amazon.com/Technicians-Choice-TEC582-Ceramic-Detail/dp/B07N8GBHTS?th=1

At $40 to $45 a gallon, it is a great value.

Lastly, my current favorite ceramic infused spray sealant is the The Last Coat 2.0. The same company also makes a product called Amp, which is a ceramic infused spray that, among its many uses, can be used as a ceramic detail spray. They claim that it is especially great on glass. I have ordered some but have not tried it yet.

If you use any spray product containing SiO2, just be sure to wash your MF towels that you use to apply and dry it off right away. If left unwashed, the ceramic material will cure and harden. Then the next time you use the MF towel on your paint, you will induce scratches.

Can you expand? I have the green ONR but I thought that wasn't safe to use on ceramic coated cars for some reason.
The green ONR is perfectly fine to use on any car, period. When you run out, then go buy the best that Opti makes, which is called Opti-coat No Rinse.

This is a problem with trying to learn about car appearance care on the interwebs... every backyard DIYer is an expert so you get things happening like what you said "I have the green ONR but I thought that wasn't safe to use on ceramic coated cars for some reason." I'm not sure where you learned that but it is absolutely dead wrong. You probably heard it from someone who sells detailing products, or a DIYer that has 4,000 different detailing products and gadgets to keep his spotless car even more spotless and doesn't mind wasting hours accomplishing it.
Ceramic coatings make your paint MORE durable than your factory paint underneath, so why would you have to treat the ceramic coating with special products? The whole reason for ceramic coatings are to make your life easier, simpler, and to worry less about your beautiful car and just enjoy it with minimal time spent caring for the paint.

Sadly it's these guys that sell washing/detailing products that purposely confuse the marketplace because they have something to sell you. I mean they'd go broke if everyone just did the simplest, most effective thing to clean their cars, and that is use the one bucket ONR washing method. No foaming, no two buckets, no forced air dryers, no special instant detailer liquids, etc.

While you can use non-coating compatible products like polymer sealants/drying aids/quick detailers, "Wash and Wax" products or spray waxes and not 'hurt' the coating, they generally won't help in any way and may be a step backwards given a coatings inherent beneficial properties.

What you're essentially doing is covering up your coating with lesser performing products. You spent all the time and money on the coating, why blanket it in something that inhibits it from doing its job properly?

Maintaining a coated car is really no different than maintaining a wax or sealant car, you're just grabbing different bottles (products)...and doing it less often.

Your paint surface will behave based upon what is on top if it; if the last thing you used on top of it is a wax, sealant or polymer product (be it a dedicated product or some 'enhancement' to shampoo or rinseless wash) your essentially missing out on having your best-performing protection facing the world.

For our coated cars I have 2 bottles: a pure shampoo & a coating-friendly (usually contains SiO2) maintenance product...and that's about it. And as long as I don't 'pollute' that with a lesser product, I continue to wash far less than when I had waxes or sealants in my paint.

As with anything, YMMV.

Reactions: JasontheBeaver